Home
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Savage Books - 11/20/21
How does this happen?? blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21

OCD?
Posted By: JohnL Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21
Short term memory loss. Do I have this book? Better buy a copy while I can.

Seriously, that many Sterns and that many Carrs is impressive. They are very expensive around here.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21
Uhhh....
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21
You should buy a few more copies of David's book so he doesn't feel like he being shorted.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21
Alzheimers 😉

Glad I ordered that book before I forgot... oh, I better order that book before I forget. 😂
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage Books - 11/20/21
Yeah, my book is really underrepresented there. My feelings are hurt. You've got 8 copies of Murray and only two of mine. I'll give you a discount if you buy seven. That'll put me one ahead of Murray.
Speaking of books, the publisher sent me a proposed cover for the new book yesterday. So they are at least doing something. They want to put the 1,000,000th on the cover. I told them no, I want the Dodge Brothers 1899's on the cover.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Yeah, my book is really underrepresented there.
Quality, not quantity....
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21

Only a few more and you should have them all
Posted By: Loggah Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
I didn't see a Bill West or Kimmel book in that collection! smile
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

I see one your missing........😉
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
Rory's book?
Yes sir, unless it's in the envelope there
Posted By: damnesia Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
It's no wonder why I can't find a copy of Murray's book laugh
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Savage Books - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Yes sir, unless it's in the envelope there

I don't have duplicates or variations of Rory's book. Yet......
Looks like need a 6 pack........of Rory's book.
Posted By: AlanD Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Is the Bill West book on Savage & Stevens any good?

Regards

AlanD
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Originally Posted by AlanD
Is the Bill West book on Savage & Stevens any good?

Yea, it was probably one of the best available in 1971. Lots of good info within.
No one book has "all" information on Savage or Stevens. More books with more info is generally a good thing.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Someone said West is going for big money now. True? I have my Dad's copy, with his margin notes and "wish lists" still tucked inside - priceless to me.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Just looked up about 8 copies for sale. From $120 to $280. Course, those are the ones that haven't sold.. so maybe the going price is lower.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
A note on the West book(s) - It's a very general work trying to cover all models of both Stevens and Savage with no emphasis on the 1899/99's. There are two editions and the first is the largest, the 2nd edition took out a lot of the Stevens information and apparently did not add anything new (correction, yes he did, four chapters added covering 1971~1988~), so when looking at prices and at what you want it for, keep that in mine. In Rick's picture you can see how much narrower the two marked 2nd Edition are. (added - I find the second edition copies the Savage information page for page from the first edition even keeping the same chapter-page numbers until it gets to the added chapters. The Stevens information is reduced by a lot)

Kimmel also try's to cover all models in his book and a lot of it is just copies of catalog pages - Savage-Stevens-Arms-Collectors-History

There also are a couple books by Joe Vorisek that I would not recommend, one on Stevens and one on Savage - I saw a copy of the one on Savage and found a lot of incorrect information in it relating to 22's and shotguns. I did eventually get a copy of it so I had a reference to the source of some of the bad information I run into occasionally.
cornellpubs.com/item_id=1311
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Just looked up about 8 copies for sale. From $120 to $280. Course, those are the ones that haven't sold.. so maybe the going price is lower.

There are 2 editions. 2nd edition builds upon the 1st without much duplication.
1st edition is useful by itself.
2nd edition by itself is not so useful because it does not contain 1st edition info, best to have 1st edition as well.

It is out of print and crossed over from being a utility book to a collector book. Both cause high prices, but occasionally one can be found for less.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage Books - 11/30/21
Whew. My copy is a 1st edition which is good as I use it mostly for Stevens info.
Posted By: Savage1907 Re: Savage Books - 12/21/21
Oh, but do I ever know the feeling grin Nice line-up.

I managed to restrain myself on Stern a bit more than you. But these lower prices past couple years makes it tough to let a Carr or Stern go by. Just passed on one on Amazon at $75.
Posted By: snoeproe Re: Savage Books - 01/07/22

Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

I received David Royals book for a Xmas gift. That book led me here to this site.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Savage Books - 01/07/22
I've got Wes Hurds old copy of Wests book before he passed away, never sell that one.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage Books - 01/07/22
Watch out! this website will get you addicted to Savages, if you aren't already.
Posted By: snoeproe Re: Savage Books - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Watch out! this website will get you addicted to Savages, if you aren't already.

I’ve been deer hunting each fall with a model 99 300 savage since 1987. I have 2 model 99’s. I just picked up a 243 savage axis for my oldest daughter.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage Books - 01/09/22
That's not enough, it doesn't sound like you are addicted YET!
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage Books - 01/09/22
I have enough to share a freezing rainy day with, which at the moment, I am doing. I have 3 of Murray's on my wall in shadow boxes. One has an involved letter from Murray to the owner about a gun the owner was inquiring about back in the early 80's. And then I have the standard regiment of a Savage library. I have lots of Savage catalogs and always looking for more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: BillR Re: Savage Books - 01/09/22
Arms and Accoutrements of the Mounted Police 1873 - 1973 is a scarce book. It was the publication that led many to believe the "MP" stamping on Savage rifles indicated that they were at one time owned by the RCMP. This has since proven to be untrue and Klancher has recanted the claim.
© 24hourcampfire