Home
My Dad passed away on Saturday, Nov 20 due to Covid and underlying health problems. Although he wasn't on here, Dad and Mom attended our Savage get together in Wellsboro a few years back . He told me he was really amazed by the variety and number of models that were displayed, especially the engraved ones.

I need to get his 99 to the range and check the sights but I plan to take it deer hunting for him this year. It's an F in 300 from 57 (I think) that he bought used in 1960 for $50. It's the only deer rifle I can remember him using. He hunted with it last year (at age 88!) but I don't recall when he checked the sights last. I always suggested it but how do you get an 89 year old to do something they don't want to?

RIP Dad,

Dale
Sorry for your loss. You are doing a very cool thing. My go to rifle is the same, 99F in 300 Sav, circa 1957. My boys will be doing just what you're doing.

Go get one for Dad.
Sorry for your loss but what a great tribute.
Dale:

Sorry to hear about your Dad and so sorry for your loss. I lost my father last year on September 29th. On December 14th I shot a really nice 9 pt with his 300 EG. I hope you can enjoy a similar experience as mine.

Randy
Condolences on your father, hope you have good luck on your hunt, we be a fitting tribute to your Dad.
Sorry for your loss. A fitting tribute to your dad and his rifle. My dad passed in April of 2020 and loved to hunt I make sure I include something he hunted with when ever we go hunting.
My condolences for your loss. I can't think of a better tribute than to hunt with his rifle.
Sorry for your loss Dale. I hope you bag a big one in his memory.
Wonderful Tribute! Puts a smile on my face!

Do You have ammo in hand? We could probably find you some if You're in need!
.., and a few more since then...

..front table from 2016 Wellsboro

[Linked Image]

the gang that year,
[Linked Image]
Condolences on the loss of your Dad Dale. Good luck in the woods.
Sorry for your loss and as a fellow Pennsylvanian good luck out there next week and hope you bag a nice Pa. whitetail for Dad.
Sorry for your loss buddy! My Father in Law started all of us on 99's.
We did the same with his 99c, and we'll do it again!

RIP
Sorry for your loss.
Make some memories with Dads rifle, may he rest in peace.
Sorry for your loss, and hope you get a biggun. My grandfather had a 99EG in 300. My brother has it, but I got an EG in 308. We'll take it on out for a walk in the woods....
Sorry for your loss, going to lease tomorrow morning. I think I’ll take my 300, made in 56 I think.
Make your Daddy proud!
Get a big one! Dad will be proud.
Originally Posted by JeffG
.., and a few more since then...

..front table from 2016 Wellsboro

[Linked Image]

the gang that year,
[Linked Image]

That's my Dad and Mom in the back row on the left side of the group photo. My son (green shirt) and I (orange shirt) are on the right. Thanks for posting that.

I'm good on ammo. I just checked, I have 28 loaded rounds. And a reloading bench...

Dale
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Dale. Good luck with that 99F.
it will be great for you to get out and hunt with the 99, take a few moments, sit down and reflect all the memories that you have had, even if you don't get a deer, he will be with you.
Originally Posted by Dale K

He hunted with it last year (at age 88!) but I don't recall when he checked the sights last. I always suggested it but how do you get an 89 year old to do something they don't want to?

RIP Dad,

Dale

Made it to the range this afternoon. I guess Dad knew his rifle. The first 2 shots were good for windage but about 2 inches low at 100 yds. That would have hit any deer that Dad would have shot at. 14 clicks of 'up' on the scope and the next two were 2.5 inches high. I'm good to go and still have 24 rounds (and a loading bench). It does seem a bit stiff to operate, I think a little TLC and a drop or two of gun oil are the next step.

Dale
Praying for a successful hunt for you.
Good luck Dale! Make that Savage sing.
Good luck, Dale. I hope that Savage barks and a deer drops. I'll hoist a glass in his honor the night before the opener.
Jeff, thanks for posting the 2016 Savage Fest photo.

http://www.savagefest.net/SavageFest_2016/Group_Photo.JPG

Dale, your dad makes four in that photo that have past. Time marches on. I'm sure your dad will hunt with you for years to come. Those memories tend to pop up at special times.

Sorry for your lose.
enjoy the memories
Sorry to hear it dale.
Dale , I hope you have the best hunting of your life with your dads rifle .best of luck
Very best of luck.. Sorry about your father..
So, any luck Dale?
Hold onto the memories
No luck in the woods. I was only able to hunt until noon on Saturday, then went to the nursing home/rehab to see Mom in the afternoon. That's the second part of this whole crappy deal, Mom broke her hip and Dad spent a lot of time at the hospital with her and getting things arranged at the nursing home. Somewhere in all of that is probably when he got infected.

Anyhow, I saw one tail on Saturday morning and nothing during the 2 hrs I was out on Sunday afternoon. Not much shooting, just a lot of memories of Dad and the other guys I hunted with. I think I'm the last one that still hunts. Most have passed on, I think there is one other guy left but I haven't seen him in years.

I'll keep plugging away although there was this 30-06 Kimber Classic that followed me home this past February. Dad's rifle may get a day or two off. Just to keep the 'youngster' happy...

Dale
Best of luck in your deer hunting. Condolences with the passing of your Dad. Know your situation, my Dad passed in 2012 and my Mom was having health problems (both in their mid 90's), she passed several years later.

I'm hunting mornings and evenings with a bow (firearm season in Iowa still a week away) after a big body minimum 10 pointer, long tined Iowa buck that I've seen alot, but not close enough for a shot. Several weeks ago the buck came down one of the trails at the choke point where I have a tree stand, three steps he'd been in one of my kill zones, but he lolly-gagged around grazing, then walked south away form me. Wind in my favor. Seen him a few times getting out of stand in evenings within 50 yards coming down one of the 5 trials that intersect by my stand. Several nights ago he was with several does in a grass clearing around 50 yards out, but it got dark early due to cloud cover and I had to quit 10 minutes before legal shooting hours were over. He's driving me nuts, have passed on five does and a small forker hoping to get that buck before gun season starts. Have a week to go.

God's Blessings of comfort for you and your family.
I snuck within about 25 yds. of 3 does this morning but gave them a pass. I can't recall Dad ever shooting a doe. But sneaking in that close and then sneaking back out without being busted counts as a win in my book. Dad always preferred to hunt on the move rather than sitting still.

Dale
For you to do that clearly tells me that your father raised his son properly.
Thanks RAS.

Dale
Condolences on your loss and best of luck with your dad’s rifle!

PennDog
Keep trying and good luck. Even if you don't get one it's a nice tribute to just get it out in the woods hunting. I finally blooded my late uncles Marlin 30-30 that I inherited and occasionally hunted with the last 15 years. He bought it circa 1991-92 when he was 72-73 years old just for grins but never got back into deer hunting like in his younger days. I always rotate between several guns during deer season and up until this year the Marlin never got carried on the right day. Sure was nice to take a picture of it on a deer.
Well it's tag soup with Dad's 99. I didn't see a deer after I passed on the 3 does. That's the way it goes some years. I still have the Pa. Flintlock season to go but the 99 will have to stay home in the warm house.

Dale
© 24hourcampfire