Home
Posted By: JBodine Chicopee falls 303 barrel - 01/21/22
I’ve only been collecting 99’s for a year so I’m very green. I read a post lately that was promoting more participation vs just perusing other peoples threads, so I joined up.

I have a 1910 303 with a 24” barrel marked Chicopee falls. The butt stock and plate are stamped 56 and look that vintage. The buttstock is perfectly fit to the receiver. From David Royals book I thought 303’s were discontinued in Utica 1940.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Chicopee falls 303 barrel - 01/21/22
They were. But Savage would rebarrel old rifles in 22HP, 303, 30-30 for a fee for years afterwards. So 24" barrels from Chicopee Falls or even Westfield show up occasionally.

Good question.

Here's one of the factory work lists we've seen. I have a 99G in 250-3000, and the barrel is 24" and marked Westfield. They're out there.

Originally Posted by Loggah
Picked up some information over the weekend, which I thought people here would be interested in. This might explain some of the weird receiver/barrel combinations that we see.

Below is a scan of the letter.

Don

[Linked Image from pbase.com]
Posted By: JBodine Re: Chicopee falls 303 barrel - 01/21/22
So I have a somewhat unique 24” 303 barrel that was a factory replacement. Could be the factory put on a new butt stock as well, like I said it’s a perfect fit. Maybe buddy had a serious accident with the old girl and was willing to have it rebuilt cause it had sentimental value. I’m going to believe that this is a lucky rifle that shot a couple of monster bucks and had to be kept in service.
A lot of factory repair stocks have only a couple digits on them rather than the entire serial number. We've seen that before. So yeah, I'd presume the stock was probably replaced at the factory also - though 56 is probably not the year, just a coincidence in assembly number.

Is it a 99EG/99R style stock on the gun? Or a straight stock?

And yeah, guns with character are cool. grin
Posted By: JBodine Re: Chicopee falls 303 barrel - 01/21/22
Straight stock with eg style buttplate.
Thx.
© 24hourcampfire