Home
Posted By: Muddly My 99EG is growing on me - 02/01/22
Got the dies set to bump the shoulder back .002. What fun that was!
I'm working up some loads, all have been promising. No obvious duds.
She was very little used when I got her. I've put 120 rounds down bore, and shot a buck this year. Didnt get to keep him though. We have a 3 on a side antler restriction here and at 65 yards he looked like a busted rack 6. What I thought was a brow time, was his ridiculous right Y rack. No scope, Lyman 30 1/2 sight, he looked legit so I fed him a 150 grain Speer Deep Curl flat point driven by 40 grains IMR 4064. Have to chrono it, but I'm guessing 2550 fps.
He went DOWN. Lungs were goo. When I saw what he was... Dang.
Tagged him, dressed him out and took him to the regional warden station. Told them what happened, filled out the affidavit, paid my $25 and they gave me another tag. The buck went to a family on hard times. Thank God not wasted.
But, she's breaking in nicely. Loosening up from her " new stiff" cycling. Carries well, points wonderfully, redline cool factor in a world of " matte finish" and Tupperware. Got lots of positive comments, especially from the game Wardens!
I was kinds worried at first. Had 2 other 99s, both EGs, a .300 and a 30-30. Pesky bad luck and they just didn't seem to fit.
Madame, pronounced the French way, not the kind that runs a " house of ill repute", has found her place in the rack. Earned it, I dare say. We gonna have us some FUN.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/01/22
They'll do that to a guy. There's a reason there are so many out there. grin

Good that the wardens are so understanding there. Mistakes in Nebraska often aren't treated very kindly..
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/01/22
I thought sure this story would have a bad ending. I think you would have gotten slapped pretty hard here in laid back Wyoming. The Game & Fish take wildlife violations pretty seriously. I'm sure glad they didn't confiscate your EG. I've got another one coming in 250-3000. Will put a Lightfoot mount on it and hunt antelope.
Posted By: Muddly Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/01/22
The Wardens are pretty decent here. They put that procedure in place when antler restrictions went into effect. The intent was to minimize someone just leaving it there in the case of a mistake kill.
Of course, if they don't believe you...
If you don't report it properly, and they find out, ( funny how often they do find out) its not $25. Its $1500 and your license for 3 years.
ALWAYS pays to do the right thing.
Posted By: 99guy Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/01/22
Nothing wrong with an EG...
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
When WV first started offering a second buck tag we all got one. The rules were pretty specific. Shoot a deer the first day, check it in the same day. You can take your second the next day. But, if you shoot it late in the day, and decide to check it in the next morning, you CAN NOT go back and take a second deer, the same day you check it in. You would have to wait till the third day. My cousin took one early the first day, but wanted to wait and see what anybody else got, and check it in after dinner. Late in the afternoon we got hit by a bad ice storm, no way we could get down to the checking station. Next morning he went out and shot a second deer. Next day was a little better, but still freezing rain after dark. The guy at the checking station went ballistic when my cousin handed him two tags. He had us all sit on a bench while he called the state police. They said the Captain had gone home. He called him at home and was still freaking out. We could hear the Captain on the other end. He said, "Your nuts if you think I'm coming out in this weather. Smack them on the wrist and tell them to get the hell out of WV, ASAP. I think if weather had of been better, Tom would have been in deep trouble. I was in a different vehicle, so I don't know if they could tie me to him or not. But, he had a couple of his guys with him, they all might have been in trouble. But, if weather was better, I guess we would have checked them in after dinner like we always did. No checking stations any more. Call in or online.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
When WV first started offering a second buck tag we all got one. The rules were pretty specific. Shoot a deer the first day, check it in the same day. You can take your second the next day. But, if you shoot it late in the day, and decide to check it in the next morning, you CAN NOT go back and take a second deer, the same day you check it in. You would have to wait till the third day. My cousin took one early the first day, but wanted to wait and see what anybody else got, and check it in after dinner. Late in the afternoon we got hit by a bad ice storm, no way we could get down to the checking station. Next morning he went out and shot a second deer. Next day was a little better, but still freezing rain after dark. The guy at the checking station went ballistic when my cousin handed him two tags. He had us all sit on a bench while he called the state police. They said the Captain had gone home. He called him at home and was still freaking out. We could hear the Captain on the other end. He said, "Your nuts if you think I'm coming out in this weather. Smack them on the wrist and tell them to get the hell out of WV, ASAP. I think if weather had of been better, Tom would have been in deep trouble. I was in a different vehicle, so I don't know if they could tie me to him or not. But, he had a couple of his guys with him, they all might have been in trouble. But, if weather was better, I guess we would have checked them in after dinner like we always did. No checking stations any more. Call in or online.

Sounds ridiculous to me Joe. You guys get regulated to death by the sounds of it.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
I'm in a whitetail doe only zone. I wouldn't want to rely on the rangers or DA's good will if I was to accidentally shoot a mule deer doe and took it in. It's rather sad, because their lack of understanding just means that there's more SSS going on, and it's wasted.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by Muddly
The Wardens are pretty decent here. They put that procedure in place when antler restrictions went into effect. The intent was to minimize someone just leaving it there in the case of a mistake kill.
Of course, if they don't believe you...
If you don't report it properly, and they find out, ( funny how often they do find out) its not $25. Its $1500 and your license for 3 years.
ALWAYS pays to do the right thing.

What a sad, communist run operation.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sounds ridiculous to me Joe. You guys get regulated to death by the sounds of it.

The NE, where freedoms go to die.
We have the dam 3pt. Rule here, I asked a dnr officer what would happand if a guy messed up and shot a fork horn, called them to explain what happened, he said they would take my gun, big fine and loss of hunting time, lots of young bucks are shot and left in the woods here. It's a shame!one warden told me he had been called on 11 different bucks and the season was only a week old.
The rest of my cousins story. They also went to buying a doe tag. So the next year he got a doe tag because they were 5 bucks cheaper ( is that a pun, 5 bucks?). The tags say antlered and antlerless, not buck and doe. First day we both shot spikes under 3” so they count as a antlerless. He checked in first. This time it was a local lady working the desk. She asked what he got and he said a spike under 3”. She punched antlered on his license. I said antlerless so that’s what she punched for me. Tom ran over and said I messed up, mine was antlerless too. She said that’s OK, if you get another one tomorrow I’ll punch the other hole. He said no way you gotta fix it, that old guy wanted to throw me in jail last year. She gave him a big smile and said, don’t worry, that Old Sumna Beech died.
I have no idea how so many people willing live in such fascist places, all the time feeding the commies your tax dollars and license fees.
Originally Posted by saddlering
We have the dam 3pt. Rule here, I asked a dnr officer what would happand if a guy messed up and shot a fork horn, called them to explain what happened, he said they would take my gun, big fine and loss of hunting time, lots of young bucks are shot and left in the woods here. It's a shame!one warden told me he had been called on 11 different bucks and the season was only a week old.

Stupid, stupid.

The number one reason to kill game is to eat game. Horns don't cook.
Posted By: roundoak Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
Originally Posted by Mike78

And, what fabulous state do you reside in?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
Ah yes, the times we live in. The regs are pretty complicated here but nothing like some of the things you guys are talking about.
Originally Posted by roundoak

It looks like someones mommy is coming to the rescue. Another SJW heard from.

Ashamed of your state, I get it.

Ashamed of your state, I get it.

Once again, you take very little from posts. You apparently like the heavy handed approach by some state governments.

I'm not ashamed of my state, but I have no reason to tell a limb dick, liberal government shill where I live. I can give you my cousin's phone number. I think you would love him, he's likely your type. But you've show time an again that you get bent out of shape when someone doesn't are with you or the liberal stance.

You are special, and I'm sorry you hated that I showed you to be a complete ass in the other thread, but you deserved it.
Shooting a 5 point, BAD.

Aborting a baby, forced vaccines, having someone else pay for your kids, burning cities over a drug addicts death, GOOD.

Roundoak approves this message
Well. That escalated quickly. Another person on block.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
Mike78 sounds like Steelhead to me.
Surely can't be. Steelhead never used to be a cowering, whining mess hiding behind fake accounts. Must be somebody like Larry Root.
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I should have known better than to ask a fool a simple question.
Posted By: Muddly Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/02/22
WOW... Some folk have serious issues.
I'm not one of them. Laws and regs are in place for good reasons. Abide by them or pay the price. Really, the choice is yours.
I made a mistake, paid the price and moved on. Nobody's fault but my own.
There are d!@&s in every walk of life. But think about what law enforcement personnel have to deal with, especially Wardens who deal with more armed folk in one season than the typical cop does in a lifetime. A little understanding, from all sides, goes a long way.

I was thinking Larry Root, but I think he was a bit more polite.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/03/22

I was thinking Larry Root, but I think he was a bit more polite.

Steelheads MO was to rag on anyone living in liberal strongholds because they were supporting the enemy with taxes. That's good news to me. I wonder when he's leaving the United States now that the communists are running the whole country.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/03/22
Without hiss rants, I kind of like old Steely.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/03/22
Well. Yet another ignoramus showed up. If this were a 'real' campfire and he showed up to join us, by now somebody would've dragged him back into the shadows and kicked some politeness into him.

Muddly, in my experience PA game wardens are a damned professional bunch. Never had a bad experience with one. (And I love reading the "Field Notes" in the Pennsylvania Game News. Those guys prove time and again that they're humans like the rest of us. Well, except for maybe Mike78 there.)
Posted By: 99guy Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22

Just another douchebag with an opinion, agenda and axe to grind that has nothing to do with Savage collecting.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation:

Be gone douchebag.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Whats a "limb Dick"??
Posted By: kdog Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Originally Posted by kenster99
Whats a "limb Dick"??
A useless one
Come to missouri .....Need a lawyer to read the regs ,,,,Turn yourself in here ..is a 175 DOLLAR fine And we have the richest conservation dept ....#1 state funded agency
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
I have no idea how so many people willing live in such fascist places, all the time feeding the commies your tax dollars and license fees.

I've got 30 acres in WV and my taxes are 200 bucks a year, doesn't seem too bad to me. You would think making 13.666 posts a day he ould bring some useful info with him.
Posted By: Pugs Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun

No idea who's sockpuppet he is but that's the easy answer. I've never seen such a string of anti-social posts.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Originally Posted by Pugs

No idea who's sockpuppet he is but that's the easy answer. I've never seen such a string of anti-social posts.

Morning Allen, you ready to try some WV fly fishing? I'll break out my #8 rod if that's what it takes to get you guys up for some plinking. We have a nice trout stream, with some big fish in it. With the #8 I just tie a wheel weight on the tippet and hit them in the head. Wade out and dip them up.
Posted By: Pugs Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Originally Posted by Pugs

Morning Allen, you ready to try some WV fly fishing? I'll break out my #8 rod if that's what it takes to get you guys up for some plinking. We have a nice trout stream, with some big fish in it. With the #8 I just tie a wheel weight on the tippet and hit them in the head. Wade out and dip them up.

Stunning trout is considered unsporting so of course Gary and are up for it. Wheelweight = gray heavy hackle fly for documentation purposes. grin May need the ten weight.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/04/22
Or a wispy little 2 weight, with 8x tippet and size 26 Griffith's Gnat.
Posted By: 99guy Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/05/22
I've found that m-80s work good as well.

Just sayin...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/05/22
00 buck is my go-to salmon load.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/05/22
Well, cant go today. I had to pee real bad when I got home last night. Went out to move the truck, and it's froze to the road.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: My 99EG is growing on me - 02/05/22
I've had dogs do that to my truck
© 24hourcampfire