Home
Posted By: oldtimer303 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/24/22

Anyone ever remove a stud? Are they screwed in like Winchesters or pressed in. Know of a source for them? GW
Never removed one, never intend to. BUT, my belief is that they are slipped in and then the inside ends are peened over.
Posted By: damnesia Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
I have one apart on my bench now. The fact the staple is not loose at all makes me think it's a light press fit with the ends peened. If it was just peened ends I'd think the staple would loosen after years of hard use and they don't appear to have been soldered.
Posted By: JeffG Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
I had a replacement one fall off, and asked about the attachment question to the authorities here. The short answer is; they are (were) smooth pins set in and peened from inside the receiver to stay in place.

OOps, I assumed You meant the saddle ring staple on the receiver

The only two M1899 SRC’s that I’ve seen were fakes.
There was a post (believe it was Loggah’s) in this forum awhile back indicating that a gun in question that was at the Allentown Show was out of the S/N range when SRC’s were produced. I’ve since seen another out of the known S/N range.
Posted By: GeneB Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
Removing the staple was covered in this thread - savage-1899-saddle-ring-removal
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
There were replacements out of Canada at one time but they have been sold out for years. I don't think they intend to make more.

No one else has come up with a replacement that I know of.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
If only we had a machinist with the skills and available time to make some... grin

Maybe Lightfoot can add it on to his product list sometime in the future. I know I'd buy 2 or 3.

Anyone ever compare the staples and rings to those found on a Winchester M1892 SRC? They look very similar.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Savage bought their saddle rings from different sources over the years the SRC was produced.

Originally Posted by wyo1895
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Savage bought their saddle rings from different sources over the years the SRC was produced.

Same with the swivels found on the 99RS that appear to be from the exact same mold as Winchester pre-war SG swivels (post-war Winchester SG swivels differed slightly). I’d bet very heavily that 99RS swivels were sourced from Winchester.

Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Anyone ever remove a stud? Are they screwed in like Winchesters or pressed in. Know of a source for them? GW

Stud or staple? It’s impossible to screw a staple in.
I am pretty sure he means the staple.

Looking for a source for the part that holds the saddle ring on, have heard it called both stud and staple. Determined how their attached now. (Still looking for a source where one may be purchased.) Appreciate all the input. GW

Totally different setup. GW
Posted By: Loggah Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
Wisners used to have them, there a staple but have uneven length legs. I put one in my little takedown that i cobbled together,press fit in the holes i had to drill.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]
Originally Posted by Loggah
my little takedown that i cobbled together,

Just so you know, this type of activity is frowned upon in certain circles.

That is all.

grin
Posted By: Loggah Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
Roy, I usually travel in a very small circle !! grin
I did one after Don showed me his! Got my parts from Winners also, but that's been 7-8 years or so.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
The ring used several thicknesses over the years and I think all were thinner than the Winchesters. Also, the staple legs had a flair where it buts to the receiver.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There was a post (believe it was Loggah’s) in this forum awhile back indicating that a gun in question that was at the Allentown Show was out of the S/N range when SRC’s were produced. I’ve since seen another out of the known S/N range.

I remember the one at Allentown. I'm pretty sure that's the one Randy and I looked at. Not only was the serial out of range, the staple wasn't in the right place. The staple should be part on the raised part of the receiver, and part on the lower part of the receiver. The one we saw both legs of the staple were on one plane.
The staple on mine was removed when it was restored. Looks like they filed it down to get it out, then took a sharp punch to spread it again. Just barley got enough to hold it tight.
Staple definitely is offset for the rear of the receiver.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: damnesia Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/25/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Staple definitely is offset for the rear of the receiver.

Do you recall what number the front dovetail mount is stamped with? I'm thinking 1
For the Stith? I'll decline that answer for Lightfoot or Rick.. no idea.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 02/26/22
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There was a post (believe it was Loggah’s) in this forum awhile back indicating that a gun in question that was at the Allentown Show was out of the S/N range when SRC’s were produced.

Out of serial number range and ring staple was in wrong place. You and I both looked at the gun. I'm sure you remember. I think it was a 1927 serial number if I remember correctly. Loggah picked it off, no problem... wink

Edit: And Joe was there too, thanks for reminding me Joe. Man, the years and guns and people run together as I get older
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 03/03/22
i love saddle rings why would you want to remove it?
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 1899 Saddle ring carbine? - 03/03/22
besides resale value is more with the saddle ring left on it

Have one that is cut off flush with the receiver. Just needed the info should I find a replacement to put it back. Have a fellow who thinks he could make them if he had one off of a carbine to go by GW

Originally Posted by mooshoo
i love saddle rings why would you want to remove it?
© 24hourcampfire