Home
Posted By: Calhoun A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/16/22
I mean... We have the Spiegel EG.... grin

One of the guys on Facebook found this. A packaged set of options you could get on a 99F if you bought it through Williams in the late 50's.

[Linked Image from scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net]

Now the trick is to see if we can find any that were actually made and sold in this exact configuration. Let the hunt begin! grin
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/16/22
Would be really hard to spot by now if it was not absolutely original from Williams. I also wonder if you could pick and choose from the list of addons since they are line-item priced.

I find the use of the Kollmorgen scope quite interesting. I thought Redfield had bought them out by then.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/16/22
I think if you bought the whole package, you'd get everything. About doubles the price of the gun..

But I'm sure they would do individual options as well for custom gunsmithing. I think they still do gunsmithing, don't they?
Posted By: JeffG Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Neat! I'm going to start hording "Mershon deluxe pads", to bring back "original" Williams specs!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
I wonder if the lever was blued.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Now the trick is to see if we can find any that were actually made and sold in this exact configuration. Let the hunt begin! grin

Oh my. I wonder how many we've overlooked as soon as we saw the pad.....

Why do I chuckle when I picture a hardcore Savage collector trying to
wrap his head around one of these he finds at a gunshow?

<<<<<<gears grinding, grimaces, eyes rolling, reaches for wallet>>>>>>

LOL
Posted By: zcm82 Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I wonder if the lever was blued.

😂

I do wish I could get my hands on one or two of those old style FPs that fit the tang holes without dropping an arm or leg.

The new Marble's flip ups are ok, but it's really easy to bump the elevation when putting them up/down. That "lock" washer on them is worthless.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Any guesses as to what the Ace-In-The-Hole for the QC mount might be? Maybe a rear sight if the scope is removed?
They still make ace in the hole bases (but not for the 99)
They're a scope base with an integrated rear sight so you can pull the scope and use irons if need be. I have one on my inline muzzleloader.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Oh my. I wonder how many we've overlooked as soon as we saw the pad.....

Why do I chuckle when I picture a hardcore Savage collector trying to
wrap his head around one of these he finds at a gunshow?

<<<<<<gears grinding, grimaces, eyes rolling, reaches for wallet>>>>>>

LOL
3" cut off the barrel and a replacement ramp front sight installed... yeah, we'd have all been shaking our heads as we walked away. grin
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Ace in the Hole is a peep sight insert. You remove the scope and attach it at the rear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ah, that's different than the new style ones. Mine the peep is on the very back of the base, so it and the scope are both on at the same time.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/17/22
Thanks Mike & zcm82. Interesting set up. Not sure I'd want to carry the peep in the sling though. Hard for me to tell how to maintain sight alignment for the peep between uses - loc tite one of the windage screws and loosen and tighten only one when changing the sight?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: A "Williams 99F" model? - 05/18/22
A commercial tinker bell 99... frown Good to know about.
© 24hourcampfire