Home
Feel free to contribute if you have any barrels sitting around and a scale.

22" 1920 t/d 1899A SR barrel - 44.6 oz. SN 228,xxx - 303 Sav.
24" Westfield t/d barrel - 41 oz. 250-3000. (I believe same profile as the 1950's EG/R)

I'll add more to it as I get time to go through the safes. And I just had my cased sets out and didn't weigh them... Darn, have to drag them out again. grin

Provide length and cartridge, and wherever you can a serial number range and model - or at least barrel profile. Thx.
I still have the original 300 Savage barrel off my 1952 EG. I'll weigh it this evening if nobody else does one for that model/vintage by then.
Another loose barrel sitting around.

22" 1959(?) 99F barrel - 28.8 oz. SN unknown - 243 Win, no sights.
Just barrel, correct, not including forend?
Yeah, just the barrel.
What about sights? On or off? We have to be precise here smile
1920 99F 303, 20 inch, 26 ounces 220,xxx

1924 99F 30/30, 20 inch, 27 ounces 264,xxx

1925 99F 300, 24 inch, 30 ounces 270,xxx
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
What about sights? On or off? We have to be precise here smile
Probably should note if the sights are off, I'd presume they are on otherwise.
1952 24" EG 300 Savage - 37oz without sights.
No scale.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
grin

https://www.amazon.com/ACCUTECK-W-8...ce-products&sr=1-4&ts_id=1068986
Oh great, another rabbithole. Sometimes I think Americans have a little too much stuff. I'm gunna pass on buying a scale. LOL
As much as you ship stuff, it would probably pay for itself if you start paying for package postage through something like pirateship.com. I'm cutting $2+ off of each book I mail.
FB2's photo shows a good reason to collect all the details possible to have a good out come. Barrel address, barrel configuration, length, cut or original, which sights, other parts attached or missing and caliber.
Originally Posted by Rick99
FB2's photo shows a good reason to collect all the details possible to have a good out come. Barrel address, barrel configuration, length, cut or original, which sights, other parts attached or missing and caliber.
Hmm.. maybe somebody we know can go through and weigh the common combinations of sights found on 1899's and 99's? grin

Most barrels I would expect to belong to a rifle, and I'd rather have a serial number than a barrel address. But in the case of loose barrels like FB's, barrel address is probably the best we can do.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Rick99
Hmm.. maybe somebody we know can go through and weigh the common combinations of sights found on 1899's and 99's? grin

Most barrels I would expect to belong to a rifle, and I'd rather have a serial number than a barrel address. But in the case of loose barrels like FB's, barrel address is probably the best we can do.
What is the point of this fixation with "barrel weight"?

Can only weigh take down barrels. Not solid frames.
Rear sights may vary/weight. Front sight too to a lesser degree.

Even if all of the specs listed above are addressed,... so what?

I'm all for data, analysis, potential value, etc., but not seeing it here. confused
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
What is the point of this fixation with "barrel weight"?

Can only weigh take down barrels. Not solid frames.
Rear sights may vary/weight. Front sight too to a lesser degree.

Even if all of the specs listed above are addressed,... so what?

I'm all for data, analysis, potential value, etc., but not seeing it here. confused
Part is just curiosity, it's something we've never looked at before. It might also help pinpoint changes to barrel profiles that we've never noticed before. We've done threads measuring the muzzle diameter of barrels.. why not the weights?
Im just to lazy !! blush
Originally Posted by Calhoun
As much as you ship stuff, it would probably pay for itself if you start paying for package postage through something like pirateship.com. I'm cutting $2+ off of each book I mail.

I'm never shipping another rifle just to let the postal thieves break it in half. I'll die with what's left.

Or so I keep telling myself.
Might as well start weighing stocks also. Walnut or gumwood (fruitwood) or maple? Wood varies a lot within species in density/mass which has a distinct bearing on the overall weight of a rifle too. Be sure to specify whether it has a varnish or oil finish. grin
Savage said the 1899H lightweight wasn't available with high grade wood. They didn't say it was because the high grade wood was denser and therefore heavier than the straight grained wood but that was the reason. However there are a few 1899H's with high grade wood. "With Savage Never Say Never."
"Can't order fancy wood for 1899H's" - yep, catalogs said that.
"Here, order an Excelsior Grade rifle with fancy american walnut!!" - yep, catalogs also said that. So we know it wasn't set in stone.. It would just take some serious asking.

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]
I have one. High grade wood and checkering. There is a pic of it somewhere in the collector's guide.
mine in my display at CGCA show.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire