Home
Posted By: Macmat 243 win lead free? - 08/01/22
Hello new to the group and curious I just picked up a 1978 99 in 243win and am curious if anyone has experience with lead free ammo in the 99 I’m looking to load the new hornady cx 80grn and Barnes ttsx 80 grn is it safe To use in these older guns? I am a hunter and unfortunately live in California
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/01/22
Is this manufacturer's ammo or are you reloading?

Major manufacturers will stay at or under SAAMI specs and would be safe.

If you reload, just start with the minimum recommended loads and work your way up to the max published loads. Watch for pressure signs.

The guns will handle standard 243 pressures.

Hopefully they shoot well!
Posted By: Macmat Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/02/22
Thanks Calhoun! yeah I’ll be reloading for it. I’m just a worry wart when it comes to these old guns too special to damage and my life isn’t worth taking a chance 🍻
Posted By: JeffG Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/04/22
Shouldn't be a problem with lighter/shorter bullets, but You may end up getting closer to magazine length and powder column capacity with non-lead/mono bullets, because they are longer than same weight in lead core bullets. Reload info specific to these mono bullets will be important!

Welcome to the 'Fire!! Pull up a log and stay a while!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/04/22
You can load them fairly mild if pressure is your main concern.

I was shooting the Hornady monos out of a CVA single shot 243 for a bit. They came in under COAL and were well below max book with pretty good accuracy and very tame recoil.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/04/22
Might reach personal max before reaching book max with a 99.

So, y'all need to use monometal bullets out there even when hunting condors? grin
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/04/22
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

So, y'all need to use monometal bullets out there even when hunting condors? grin

That was my situation with the CVA. I just don't like hotrodding break actions. Having them pop open in your face is fuggin scary. The last few I have owned have all been fed fairly light loads.
Posted By: Macmat Re: 243 win lead free? - 08/07/22

Not really lol I’m not even hunting in their “natural range” but you know how the eco terrorist like to make things difficult 😞 I used to hunt on the coast when I was a boy very rare I do anymore even though I could on family land I just don’t see any point in chasing hogs in my older life rather trap them and decide if they are worth eating or not lol
© 24hourcampfire