Home
curious to see how many others in the savage world trap as well as collect savages. This is the first year in 40 yrs I did not set one single trap market is in the tank but just didn't have time this year.started when I was 10 yrs old
I trapped when I was younger. Started in about 6th grade after being majorly influenced by Fur Fish and Game magazines.

I haven't set a trap in 30 year or so though. I've considered starting to trap beavers on my property to get rid of them.
that is about all I set for anymore is beaver due to my partner is getting up there in age and I've been doing it with him for well over 20 yrs. Not setting at all last season kinda makes me miss it but this year I plan on getting back out. for me its the daily walk in the woods or water that makes it all worth while with prices in the tank which I don't see coming back soon who knows
I trap bunches of damn pigs, does that count?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not since the early or mid 80's when muskrats where $8, Mink $20-25 and coons $40-50.

Minimum wage at the time was $3.35 an hour and gas was about $1 gallon.
Originally Posted by hanco
I trap bunches of damn pigs, does that count?

Amen!
Last year was the first bad year we've had for prices in almost 10 years. Coyotes have been bread and butter, averaging from $75-90. Cats are down too, averaged $250 last year. Coyotes averaged $35. I still trap, mostly because I love it. I'm sure I'll lose money this year, but I'll have fun.
I keep a large live trap set in the backyard, baited with cosmetics, but so far no co-eds have fallen for it.
I ran a trap line with my uncle a few years back when I was in my early 20s... mostly muskrats, but we'd get the odd beaver or mink. It wasn't really something I ever really had my heart in, so I quit. It just wasn't my style... not enough juice for the squeeze.
I never trapped but a guy I know does and he asked me to come along as a sentry. Grizzly's are rampant in the area and he's afraid one will come after him while he's chest deep in the water. I would really like to take a 99 but will probably use the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Wolves are classified as predators in the area so if one comes along I can add a wolf hide to my collection. I really need to use a 99 on a wolf so may take the guide gun and a 99.
The pig shoot looks like a show that is on RFD TV once in a while.

Guy kills 100s of them but there are always more.

https://jagerpro.com/

More fun than South Central L.A.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I never trapped but a guy I know does and he asked me to come along as a sentry. Grizzly's are rampant in the area and he's afraid one will come after him while he's chest deep in the water. I would really like to take a 99 but will probably use the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. Wolves are classified as predators in the area so if one comes along I can add a wolf hide to my collection. I really need to use a 99 on a wolf so may take the guide gun and a 99.

When I hunted in BC 20+ years ago, my guide had a 358 Win lever in his scabbard stoked with 225 grain NPs for grouchy grizzlies. He almost got a chance to use it with me backing up with my 300 Win Mag and 200 gr. NPs. But that is a story for another day....
Iv trapped in as a teenager, and about 20 years ago trapped some. Fur is just not worth the trouble now . Hope to set some Coyote traps this winter tho!
Lifetime member of Mn Trappers Assoc. moved to Texas canine trapping is available if I just find the time, I will be going north for a week when my buddy retires to kill a 100 plus mink just for the tailgate pic LOL
I hunt moose with my 1899 .303 and a featherweight .308 and trap. In fact I live on my trapline for the winter up here in the Yukon. Lately wolverine and marten are my bread and butter but I've done well with wolves and lynx in the past as well. Over all though fur prices are pretty awful these days frown
© 24hourcampfire