Home
Posted By: 160user What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
I openly admit that I am not a 99 guy. This is a checkered walnut take down with a steel butt, lever safety and is not drilled and tapped. Serial number is 404,xxx. When you get it in good light the tiger stripes in the stock are pretty dang nice. Is this a 99F?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Nope, that's a G and a dam nice one to boot!!

Good Deer Rifle for that part of the country.
Posted By: 160user Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Thank you. Now I can try to research it a little more. The stock isn't even cracked at the tang so I almost feel I got cheated. smile
Posted By: S99VG Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Nope, that's a G and a dam nice one at that!!.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Prewar Fs are straight grip and a bit more plainer in appearance. What cartridge is it chambered for?
Posted By: damnesia Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Wow, that's a nice one.
Originally Posted by S99VG

You took the words right out of my mouth! Prewar Fs are straight grip and a bit more plainer in appearance. What cartridge is it chambered for?

This one is 300 Savage. I plan to take it to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him D&T it for a scope and cut an inch off the stock and fit a pad to it.

JOKING! I would NEVER do that to a fine old rifle even if I can't see the sights.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
!941 production. Near the end of the 99-G run. Savage was not recording info in that serial range so you can't letter it.

Super wood. Take good care of it.
Posted By: S99VG Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by 160user

This one is 300 Savage. I plan to take it to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him D&T it for a scope and cut an inch off the stock and fit a pad to it.

JOKING! I would NEVER do that to a fine old rifle even if I can't see the sights.

Well crap, don't forget the whiteline spacers and, as long as you have it in there, a total reblue! (insert smiley face here)
Where didja snag that beauty? Is that a price tag laying next to it?

I grew up on a farm in Aitkin County. How about you?
Posted By: texken Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22

This one is 300 Savage. I plan to take it to my gunsmith tomorrow and have him D&T it for a scope and cut an inch off the stock and fit a pad to it.don't forget the compass

Well crap, don't forget the whiteline spacers and, as long as you have it in there, a total reblue! (insert smiley face here)
Posted By: norm99 Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
close to the last TD made????
Posted By: Calhoun Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Last year they were made. Probably close to the point where they stopped mass production, but a few kept slipping out until the end of 1941. Even a couple in 1942 iirc.
Where didja snag that beauty? Is that a price tag laying next to it?

I grew up on a farm in Aitkin County. How about you?

Small world! I am just North of the Aitkin county line.
Posted By: 99guy Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
Beautiful rifle.
One of you Minneesota boys should be PM'ing him!!
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22
160User,
Lightfood (posted above) makes a no-drill scope mount that uses the rear doveltail and rear tang scew taps. It's a great solution to mount a modern scope.

Aslo, that's a beauty ... great pickup.
Posted By: damnesia Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/05/22

On it laugh But unfortunately I recently bought a really nice 1899F so maneuvering around the "boss" for a rifle this nice is going to be difficult. Although I have a 40s M70 I may try to persuade with. Wish he played guitar, I've been dying to trade some of the old guitars I no longer play for some sweet rifles.
Originally Posted by damnesia

On it laugh But unfortunately I recently bought a really nice 1899F so maneuvering around the "boss" for a rifle this nice is going to be difficult. Although I have a 40s M70 I may try to persuade with. Wish he played guitar, I've been dying to trade some of the old guitars I no longer play for some sweet rifles.

Believe me, if I tried to play an instrument or sing you would probably pay me to stop! Model 70's are my weakness. I should have gotten into dope or something cheaper than Winchesters.
Posted By: 160user Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/16/22
Alright, I have to confess that I am a model 70 guy but I kind of fell in love with this one. I had a 250-3000 years ago and never could warm up to it but this one spoke to me so it made the one way walk into the house. Thanks everyone for feeding my addiction.
Posted By: damnesia Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/16/22
That's great news... For my bank account. Lol. Just a warning they seem to pop up like mushrooms after you have one around. But if you're going to have just one, that's a very nice one to have.
Posted By: 160user Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/16/22
I never shoot them anyway and I appreciate pristine pieces that are unaltered. I have worse vices.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/16/22

I wish we had a like button, I would have hit it ten times!
Posted By: MnFn Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/21/22
I have one that is nice, but not as nice as that one! 396XXX range. It is a great shooter in 300.
Posted By: Caplock Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 09/21/22
Thats pretty scarce in that condition. If it was mine i'd get a vintage tang sight and a slip on limbsaver butt pad. Never in my life would I alter that beauty. But, its your rifle.
Posted By: 160user Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 10/31/22
Originally Posted by Caplock
Thats pretty scarce in that condition. If it was mine i'd get a vintage tang sight and a slip on limbsaver butt pad. Never in my life would I alter that beauty. But, its your rifle.

Yes, I threw it in the safe and will likely never shoot it.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/01/22
I hope you put it gently in the safe.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by Rick99
!941 production. Near the end of the 99-G run. Savage was not recording info in that serial range so you can't letter it.

Super wood. Take good care of it.

Hijacking for just a minute, how do you go about lettering a rifle, and what info can you expect in return?
What is the cost of doing so?
I wouldn’t mind doing so with my 1915 .250
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/02/22
WOW!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Hijacking for just a minute, how do you go about lettering a rifle, and what info can you expect in return?
The Center of the West Museum (Cody Museum popular name) has the ledgers now. Costs $75 to letter a gun if you aren't a member. Ouch. If you have multiple firearms to letter (and they have Winchester/etc ledgers as well), a membership is a much better deal.

Link here:

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/savage/
I never shoot them anyway and I appreciate pristine pieces that are unaltered. I have worse vices.

IF you decide to shoot it, let me know.....I'll send a box of ammo to you. Non gratis.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Barkoff
The Center of the West Museum (Cody Museum popular name) has the ledgers now. Costs $75 to letter a gun if you aren't a member. Ouch. If you have multiple firearms to letter (and they have Winchester/etc ledgers as well), a membership is a much better deal.

Link here:

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/savage/

Thank you.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: What model 99 do I Have? - 11/03/22
I think the pistol grip of the G helps me be more accurate…and they seem to come outta the scabbard easier.

They are very nice IMO
© 24hourcampfire