Home
I know you’ll want pictures, but at the moment have no access to any. I looked at it today, it’s in nice shape, marked 1899 250-3000, a takedown with no drilling on it, no sling studs.

I have a serial # 1671**
Boss code H
Date of manufacture?

I believe this will be a future purchase, and I’ll be buying some loading dies and starting to research loads. I would like to work a load that will still push the advertised 3000fps. Being in CA I’ll need a load with a lead free bullet, I’m guessing I’d like to move up a few grains if there are no lead-free 87grain bullets out there, 90-100?
Would you recommend neck dies over FL?

At one time it looks as if a there was a tangsight on it, but not now. I’d like to buy one, a marbles or Lyman?
Do all tang sights bought for Savages fit ALL 99’s and 1899’s?

Would love to hear your best loads for the 250. I’m going to hunt it as was, tang sight, 3000fps.

Any help appreciated..

Thank you.
That'd be a 1-14 twist rifle, so you'll be hard pressed to find a mono that'll stabilize. Hammer is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that makes a .257 copper that short. Barnes used to, but those have been discontined for ages.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/257-cal-67g-shock-hammer/
Be careful pushing copper monos to max loads in that gun! They are longer and show pressure earlier. I’d prioritize safety over 3000 fps! In my experience with reloading for 99’s using copper, they get sticky before you think they will.
The trick will be in finding a mono bullet in .25 caliber short enough to work in our slow twist. Measure them before you buy them and if they're longer than .850" (weight has nothing to do with it) you will likely have accuracy issues.

I see Barnes only lists 100gr. and 115gr. TSX on their website. I guarantee you they are waaaay too long to be accurate in our slow twist Savages. Didn't they offer a 60 grain at one time, or am I thinking of someone else? I remember thinking that a 60 grainer would be like a lightning bolt out of an 1899 and be short enough to stabilize.

Keith Nystrom published a chart that beautifully predicted theoretical stabilization of a bunch of .25 bullets in a 1-14" twist, verified as I recall by testing (that last part I'm not sure about). Perhaps it's time to publish that chart again. I would post it had I saved it.
Interesting.
The old guy has four boxes of Remington Corlokts, are they not going to shoot well?
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Be careful pushing copper monos to max loads in that gun! They are longer and show pressure earlier. I’d prioritize safety over 3000 fps! In my experience with reloading for 99’s using copper, they get sticky before you think they will.

Absolutely, had no ideas about these issues, I’m glad I asked.

Anyone happen to have the date on this rifle?
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The trick will be in finding a mono bullet in .25 caliber short enough to work in our slow twist. Measure them before you buy them and if they're longer than .850" (weight has nothing to do with it) you will likely have accuracy issues.

I see Barnes only lists 100gr. and 115gr. TSX on their website. I guarantee you they are waaaay too long to be accurate in our slow twist Savages. Didn't they offer a 60 grain at one time, or am I thinking of someone else? I remember thinking that a 60 grainer would be like a lightning bolt out of an 1899 and be short enough to stabilize.

Keith Nystrom published a chart that beautifully predicted theoretical stabilization of a bunch of .25 bullets in a 1-14" twist, verified as I recall by testing (that last part I'm not sure about). Perhaps it's time to publish that chart again. I would post it had I saved it.

60 grain for mule deer? Be it CA Mulies, not Colorado, but 60 grains is getting down to coyote ammo. 😉

I really want to deer hunt the rifle when I get my hands on it.
B,

What you're hoping to find is some 75 gr. Barnes Original "X" bullets.

Yes, I have some and the pressures run high quickly in old guns but also I'm in Canada with my bullets. Someone may have a stash south of the 49th parallel. Accuracy will be a challenge none the less.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Barkoff
60 grain for mule deer? Be it CA Mulies, not Colorado, but 60 grains is getting down to coyote ammo. 😉

A 60-70 grain mono .25 bullet will be pretty much the same length as an 87, give or take. Don't look down your nose at such things for deer. Mono bullet technology can't be viewed with old-fashioned cup-and-core mentality, they're a whole different ball game.

Besides, 60 grain (and lighter) bullets have been killing deer with alacrity out of .223's for a long time now. Why wouldn't they work for deer? It's all about bullet construction anymore, not bullet weight. Would I zap a deer with a 60 grain C-n-C varmint bullet at hellaciously high velocity? Probably not - it'll likely shatter without penetrating. Or maybe not, bullets do weird things sometimes. Would I use a 60 grain mono bullet at righteous velocity? You bet.

It ain't our father's shooting world anymore, bullet technology has changed. A lot.

Of course there's always the old original mono bullet - cast lead. But that's a moot point for a Californian who wants to hunt. If they ever passed regulations like that around here I would cry.
Anyone happen to have the date on this rifle?
Early 1915.
Thank you for all the replies and education. Sounds like I need to seek out all the offerings in 87 grain be it leaded or unleaded. Might have to save it for hunts out of state, but I’ll see what is offered and be back for more advice. I’ve never heard of Hammer Bullets, I’ll research their reputation and see what other offerings are out there in maybe 75 grain lead free ..thank you
These Hammers seem the closest thing to my need, all copper also??

Recommended twist rate is 1-12″ minimum

Bullet length is .900″

Nose length is .4604″

Bullet weight is 80.5g

Recommended use: Big game hunting

G1-BC=.279 estimated
Or these, though not lead free..
I’ll have to find out the length..

Hot-Cor Rifle Bullet
Hot-Cor Rifle Bullet .257
$29.99
Available
Grain Weight: 87
Bullet Style: Spitzer Soft Point
Ballistic Coefficient: .300
Diameter In: 0.26
Package Quantity: 100
Usage: Medium Game
These Hammers seem the closest thing to my need, all copper also??

Recommended twist rate is 1-12″ minimum

Bullet length is .900″

Nose length is .4604″

Bullet weight is 80.5g

Recommended use: Big game hunting

G1-BC=.279 estimated

Oops.
Or these, though not lead free..
I’ll have to find out the length..

Hot-Cor Rifle Bullet
Hot-Cor Rifle Bullet .257
$29.99
Available
Grain Weight: 87
Bullet Style: Spitzer Soft Point
Ballistic Coefficient: .300
Diameter In: 0.26
Package Quantity: 100
Usage: Medium Game

These are what you want.
The 87gr Hot Cors are usually very good shooters from 1-14 rifles, they're fairly stubby for their weight compared to the sleeker, more aerodynamic modern bullet designs.

Hammer makes good bullets, they're just kind of pricey since they're a relatively small operation.
I’ll defiantly pick up some of the hotcores, but also hope to find a leadfree option for CA

I took the
With a savage lever, what is more preferable, a neck sizer die or FL?
I always choose to neck size my bolt actions, not sure about a 1899?
FL size, but just enough for smooth chambering.
My 1899 250 is sn 178174 letters as having been received into inventory June 21, 1915. It appears to be a special order, which may account for a higher serial number.
A length of 0.900” might shoot well enough for normal hunting ranges. Don’t rule it out. If nothing else, filing .02” or so off the nose would probably sweeten it up considerably.

Monolithics are a different ball game.
I'm just curious. Do the bullet police in Ca go around forcing hunters to unload their rifles so the bullet police can see if they are using evil lead bullets?
I know fowl hunting here one of the first thing COs will do is check your ammo. You have any lead on you, you're getting dinged. I've only been checked a couple times, but they wanted to see the shells right off the bat both times.
I lived there 30 years. It's a beautiful state but I left because of this kind of crap. Don't miss it a bit and I doubt if I ever go back to visit. To each his own.
I had some relatives on my Dad's side lived there from the 70s into the 90s, but they all moved back east mid 90s. We went out there and visited a few times when we were living in NV when I was a kid in the early 90s

There's some pretty county from the Sierras on west along I-80. Haven't really been much north of Tahoe or south of about San Jose, though.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I'm just curious. Do the bullet police in Ca go around forcing hunters to unload their rifles so the bullet police can see if they are using evil lead bullets?
[quote=wyo1895]

Well I’ve been checked with the firearm in the truck, to make sure there wasn’t one in the chamber, I guess if a warden knew his bullets..

I thought about that though, if a warden caught you using a 100 yr old rifle that you explained you couldn’t get copper bullets to shoot accurate from, would he really write you?
I don’t know.
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I lived there 30 years. It's a beautiful state but I left because of this kind of crap. Don't miss it a bit and I doubt if I ever go back to visit. To each his own.

I’m only still here for one reason, as messed up as it is, I REFUSE to be chased away from my kids and grandkids, why should I allow these liberal [bleep] force me away from my family? We conservatives are about family, right?

Someday if I can talk the whole family into building a house on property I buy, I hope I can move the whole family out..there is no future here for the young, the quality of life dies on the 101 and 680
© 24hourcampfire