Home
Posted By: MikeL2 Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
Anyone know offhand what size filler block I need for the rear sight dovetail on a 1956 99F, 7825XX S/N range? Maybe its called a slot blank? is there a standard size?

I'm putting a Williams Foolproof tang mount sight on, and it looks like I need to remove the original barrel mounted rear sight to get a decent view.
BTW, tried mounting a Redfield 70L first, but it didn't clear the stock, and I don't want to notch the stock for it to fit.

Thanks
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
any reason to actually fill the dovetail versus just leaving it open?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
Dovetails on Savage 99's are the normal 3/8".
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
I use the Williams sight blanks that have a set screw on top. Go in easy and dont have to worry about accidentally hitting the metal or wood. I think they are like $14 on ebay.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
Tap the sight out from left to right.

Tap the spacer in from right to left.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
I use the Williams set screw ones now, too. The Marbles fillers usually take a LOT of filing to fit.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
Thanks everyone. Looks like Brownells has the Williams set screw version for $9.99.
Now just have to figure out what I did with my brass drifts when I moved!
Posted By: steve99 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/07/22
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Those dovetail cuts can be sharp. One less thing to be concerned with when handling the 99, or any rifle.

It's good to see you posting again.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Rear sight filler - 10/08/22
Gun looks much better with a blank and the dovetail is also protected.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/08/22
Originally Posted by steve99
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Those dovetail cuts can be sharp. One less thing to be concerned with when handling the 99, or any rifle.

It's good to see you posting again.

Good point! I always put fillers in myself also... and I was 90% sure they were 3/8th but I just couldn't convince myself I was certain enough to post it publicly.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/08/22
Just looks more finished without that gaping hole in the receiver.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/09/22
Even my roughest 1899 has a sight filler. I'll bet someone filed the rear sight down to make it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Rear sight filler - 10/10/22
The filler on my 1902 was contoured to the barrel like that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/11/22
yours is a lot cleaner than mine. I think both must have been filed down after being putting in the dovetail. But then I'm not a gunsmith.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
The filler on my 1902 was contoured to the barrel like that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i bought a piece pf bar stock dovetail filler, because i seam to find a few guns that need fillers.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Rear sight filler - 10/12/22
That's not a bad idea..
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rear sight filler - 10/12/22
Golly, I wish I had thought of that.

I did a couple by taking rear sights that have that pointy finial sticking out forward of the dovetail, cutting them off behind the dovetail, and then filing a "pointy duplicate finial" into the remainder to mimic the finial forward of the dovetail. I liked that look from the first time I ever saw it done. I think it makes for a nice decorative filler. I'm not at home or I would provide a pic, but I guess y'all know what I'm talking about. (Perhaps I wrecked a couple of "collectible" rear sights in the process, and if so then the remaining intact sights in collections became more valuable. You're welcome! grin cool )
Posted By: norm99 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I did a couple by taking rear sights that have that pointy finial sticking out forward of the dovetail, cutting them off behind the dovetail, and then filing a "pointy duplicate finial" into the remainder to mimic the finial forward of the dovetail. I liked that look from the first time I ever saw it done. I think it makes for a nice decorative filler. I'm not at home or I would provide a pic, but I guess y'all know what I'm talking about. (Perhaps I wrecked a couple of "collectible" rear sights in the process, and if so then the remaining intact sights in collections became more valuable. You're welcome! grin cool )

pics when u get home please , because i am dumb and have no idea what u are discribing .
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

pics when u get home please , because i am dumb and have no idea what u are discribing .
Sounds like he made something like this: Brownell slot blank
Posted By: MnFn Re: Rear sight filler - 10/13/22
Gnoahhh,
I think my dad’s G has that also. Basically just used an original sight (or replacement sight) as a filler and cut the top of the sight off and shape it to whatever you think looks good.

On my dad’s rifle, the front and the rear of the sight was shaped to match each other- kind of like < > the dovetail base (basically in the middle underneath) is kept the same.

My brother now owns it, maybe I can get a photo.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Rear sight filler - 10/13/22
Yep. That's it exactly.
Posted By: Y33611 Re: Rear sight filler - 10/17/22
Has anyone had any success matching one of Williams' rear block sight models with 1960 and later factory drilled rear scope mounting holes. They no longer make their 99FP Model but it seems like one of their rear block-type peep sights might work.
© 24hourcampfire