Home
Nice sights and excellent bore will make this a fun-shooter with cast bullets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Oh yeah, you'll enjoy that 99G!
Nice. Barrel looks longer than standard. 24"?
A 303 with the medium weight barrel should be 22". That one sure looks longer.
The only cataloged take-down in .303 with a 24” bbl with a raised ramp is the 99 B. So, is this rifle a special order, or a replacement barrel, or??? Regardless, it looks like a nice, fun rifle.
Nice but now that gives me pause. I am looking at what I believe is a G right not. .300 Savage in a takedown. Looks like an early one by the serial number. What puzzles me is the model mark on the receiver which is worn but looks like 899 with no 1. Is that possible early in 1921 or so when they were changing from 1899 to 99? I had the trusty book, you know the one, with me and it leads me to believe it is an early G. Are they desirable? It sure looks desirable. Been hunted with but that is the way I like them and the price is really fair. Receiver sight also.
Originally Posted by dallased
Nice but now that gives me pause. I am looking at what I believe is a G right not. .300 Savage in a takedown. Looks like an early one by the serial number. What puzzles me is the model mark on the receiver which is worn but looks like 899 with no 1. Is that possible early in 1921 or so when they were changing from 1899 to 99? I had the trusty book, you know the one, with me and it leads me to believe it is an early G. Are they desirable? It sure looks desirable. Been hunted with but that is the way I like them and the price is really fair. Receiver sight also.

we need the serial number , x out the the last 2 numbers ,that barrel is from beyond late 1926
Barrel is 24"
Serial 38473X
Need that no drill modified Leupold top mount. Contact info ?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Nice 303 added to collection - 11/30/22
Is the barrel address Utica or Chicopee Falls?
Another trip to the gunsafe ?
Any more questions ?

Chicopee Falls
serial # places it as produced about 1939. Savage was gearing up for WWII production and probably cleaning up leftover parts. That could be a leftover 99B barrel or maybe Savage just decided to make a few 303 99G's with 24" barrels. The only cataloged G with a 24" barrel was the 300 Savage. I posted information and pics of some 99K's in 250-3000 with 24" barrels about a year ago. The K's were only cataloged with 24" barrels in 300. "With Savage never say never".
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Any more questions ?

Chicopee Falls
Chicopee Falls means it's a later replacement barrel made from 1947 to 1959. It'll give you a bit more velocity than the original 22" barrels.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Nice 303 added to collection - 11/30/22
Any more questions ?

Chicopee Falls

Makes perfect sense that it is a 24" barrel now.
Savage was making replacement barrels in 303 after the war ?
Need that no drill modified Leupold top mount. Contact info ?

Send an email to my address listed below.
Savage would replace medium weight barrels for quite a long time. It's just a .308 bore with a different chamber and threads.

They wouldn't replace earlier octagon, half-octagon or featherweight barrels.

Yep, I have a 24" replacement barrel in 22HP with a Westfield address. So, that's after 1960, and it has the early thread.
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by dallased

we need the serial number , x out the the last 2 numbers ,that barrel is from beyond late 1926

Just a quickie because I don't want to keep sniping in on the original post. If I move along on it, I will start a thread correctly. According to the serial number it is a 1925. There is also a 1924 serial number there on a different rifle, but I did not look that one over very much. The price took care of my interest in it.
ElkHtrNeva, Savage might have set the barrel solid if they did the work (barrel can not be removed as with the earlier take downs). I think there was something in a Savage publication about that.
Originally Posted by Rick99
ElkHtrNeva, Savage might have set the barrel solid if they did the work (barrel can not be removed as with the earlier take downs). I think there was something in a Savage publication about that.
Rick, are you saying that if the factory installed a replacement barrel they would set it, making it a solid frame? The GB seller I got my 22HP barrel from said he sold the receiver to my barrel, when I asked him if he knew where it was? But, we all know at Savage there is always the exception to the rule?
Yes, we've seen a factory repair sheet which said that takedowns would be fixed and returned as a solid frame.

But I have a takedown with a Westfield barrel which still takes down, so not sure that was always true or maybe it was just late.

I almost wonder if they just did that if they needed to restock it or replace any of the takedown hardware. They didn't have any of the forearm takedown parts any more.
Thanks, Rory, that makes sense. Once the parts were gone, what else could you do?
Interesting info.
So how can I determine if my replaced barrel is a takedown or fixed one ?
Remove the forearm, open the bolt, and see if you can unscrew the barrel. Bolt has to be open for that, otherwise the barrel is locked in place.

Don't use the forearm to help turn it even if there is a lug to do it, too much force on that can crack the wood. Just see if you can unscrew it by hand.
A replacement TD barrel would need the slot machined for the forearm lug to drop into. Other option would be to set the barrel solid and remove the lug from the forearm metal.
It has the slot and the lug is still on the forend iron. Don't plan to ever take it apart.
Looks like you have a TD.

My curiosity for taking one down has long passed. If it unscrews by hand then okay. If it doesn't want to unscrew then it stays that way.
My 303 takedown wouldn't budge when I got it. A little time spent with breakfree and a hair dryer did the trick. Just frozen with old grease. Now that its gor the lightfoot mount it may never come apart again.
I had a 22HP that wouldn't take down. Dang thing was solid as heck, ended up there was a burr in the threads just a it finished turning. Got it free for the new buyer, cleaned up the burr and it was a nice, tight takedown but not locked up.
Since it's nice and tight I see no reason to try and take it apart.
"If it a'int broke, don't fix it."
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Savage would replace medium weight barrels for quite a long time. It's just a .308 bore with a different chamber and threads.

They wouldn't replace earlier octagon, half-octagon or featherweight barrels.

and i have at least 6 30-30barrels 24"
© 24hourcampfire