Home
Hello, I recently acquired a cased set, I believe it to be one of the earliest around, I sent for and received a Savage Arms letter from the Cody Museum and spoke with Cody Arms records (Angela) about the letter, as it had very little info, (she was kind enough to look it up again to verify what was available on a scanned copy that had lower page water damage)...It is serial number 2365xx, Model 1899 in .300 Savage, (model 1899 is stamped on the receiver) (I know it's a '99). It was accepted October 31, 1921, shipped November 18, 1921 and sold to Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Company. I asked if there were any earlier .300 savage units and she did come across a couple that were 2359xx, but none that listed as accepted earlier than mine, the earlier serial numbered units in .300 Savage were accepted in November, 1921..I know that the serial numbers vs the acceptance are not 100% consecutive, but it is interesting that the date is in another month (even, if only a day) and has 500+/-number difference in serial number. you guys may have seen the cased rifle set I have, on an auction, the pics the seller took didn't do it justice compared to in person viewing. Their pics make it look more glossy than it actually is, although it does have some gloss (it's just not like a reflective mirror, like it looked on the auction). It looks original metal finish (to me at least) on both barrels, super nice, no rust, minimal wear, rifling and bore for both barrels is near perfect, screws all look untouched, sights are the micro-screw adjust elevator with Savage stamped in the rear and the front sight is Brass blade, in the integrated front barrel ramp, held by a screw (super small), lever has really pretty case colors on most of it. Checkering is extremely nice, stocks may have been oiled/varnished as they are glossier than some from the era (looks like someone waxed and polished, more than refinished, but I am not super experienced with the stocks and refinishing), but the numbers all match (butt plate, butt stock, forend, receiver) and the wood has some figure, (not just straight grain). The storage case is a little rough, handle is still there, but has deteriorated to the point of no use, just being visual. Hinges and corners are all there and function. The interior of the case is version/style 1, (red velour/velvet) with the open area on the left, back near the receiver front when its in the case. Again, not perfect, but looks ok for the age. Savage logo is in the interior of the lid and looks cool! It also came with a .410 barrel, nice brass bead and attachment screw mechanism for holding the stock is perfect (it was obviously used, the forend has a small round indent/dimple where it was attached to the .410 barrel, in my head someone should have used a piece of leather or something to keep from marking the forend schnabel area on the stock wood). All in all, a super nice piece for 101 years old (at least to me)...So, to my question, Is there anyway to validate if a cased set left the factory as a cased set? I was hoping a letter could confirm this, but alas, it is not so. And if anyone saw this rifle I would like your thoughts on it, thanks

Pictures link, with description of what each is:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17853001/savage-1899-cased-300-410-early
Pictures would help a lot. If you could even post a link to the auction it would be very helpful. You will get a very honest assessment here, which you might like or maybe not…
I will try...the picture file size limit is tough (97kb?)
For pictures in the message it is something insane like that. You can either upload them to the Image Gallery forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/80/1/image-gallery

And post the URL here ( size limit is much larger in the image gallery). Or as 99guy stated, post a link to the auction or links to the picture in the auction.

However if the serial number dates, barrel address, etc are correct and the factory records don't mention it, not sure if it mentioned any case sets, you may be out of luck. I don't know if they serialized the barrels on the sets. Lots of people way more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am and I'm sure they'll reply soon.
I would be interested in knowing if the 410 barrel has a one line address or a two line address. My theory is that the early 410 barrels had the one line address and the two line address came later.
Micro-screw adjust rear sight sounds suspect to me.

Should be the low profile flat top with elevator if I am thinking right.

Edit: As I recall I had an early G that had a screw in the front of the back sight that pressed against the barrel that could rise or lower the sight, perhaps this is what OP is referring too. I was thinking more of the micrometer found on the pre war H's
Let's see if this link works...I think I figured out pictures, hopefully reasonable quality
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17853001/savage-1899-cased-300-410-early
Pictures look good. Nice rifle.
The rear sight is correct, however can't tell if the letters on the front of the sight have been poorly struck or buffed? Otherwise, gun looks right to me. If that is a restoration, it's the best I've seen. Not certain about the case and 410 barrel, somebody that knows more about the time periods they were available can comment on that. Not sure when these cased sets were first available. Always the chance of a set being "put together".
Single line address on the .410 barrel and the right side of the front rifle sight has patent lettering, not buffed off
Originally Posted by Jaaack
I would be interested in knowing if the 410 barrel has a one line address or a two line address. My theory is that the early 410 barrels had the one line address and the two line address came later.
This is the same cased set we talked about last week, Jaaack.

Very nice snag. It's a beauty, and looks all correct to me. Unfortunately the ledgers aren't going to give out more information for most cased sets than what yours did, very few are recorded as being part of a set. The fact it's a very early 99G in 300, it's a very early case, and it's an early 410 and they are all in similar condition makes me think they've been together since 1921.

Kind of cool it's a Halloween set. grin

And thanks for sharing the info from Cody. We do have a very few 99's in 300 Savage lower than yours, but 1921 was a really screwed up year and no telling when they were accepted from the factory without lettering them. I don't think we've seen the 235,9xx rifles.

Of note is that Callahan once told use the very first 99G in the ledger was at 236,461. He never clarified if that was the earliest date or lowest number, but he usually went from earliest date from what we've seen.

Some of the early 99's in 300 Savage (and the first 99G according to JTC). Obviously yours is very low in the dataset.
Code
234,22x		99F 300 Sav
234,71x		99B 300 Sav
236,461		99G 250-3000  (1st 99G according to JTC)
236,909		99G 300 Sav
236,95x		99G 300 Sav					10/13/1921
238,010		99G 300 Sav Combo Kit

The earliest ads for the 300 Savage that I've ever found were in magazines in September, 1921. Like this one. They are still using the artwork from the early 250-3000's, as you can tell from the perchbelly.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Thanks for the comments, I didn't even put the Halloween acceptance date with Halloween, until you mentioned it!
© 24hourcampfire