Home
Posted By: wyo1895 how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
I tried about 8 times and it keeps bringing back my old avatar.
Posted By: GeneB Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
When I changed mine it kept showing the old one so I gave up, then several days later, without me doing anything else, the new one showed up.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
Probably your browser cache. Your web browser "caches" commonly accessed images so it doesn't have to download them every time (and not downloading each one every time speeds up your browsing). Eventually the cached image expires and it downloads a new one.
I've had similar experience. Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. It may not update until some admin processes are run.

I know we all appreciate Rickbin for maintaining this site but from an application perspective it is pretty klunky.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
I'll just give it a few days. I got my new business cards yesterday and was trying post one as my avatar. This is it.
[Linked Image]
Gotta get back to work on the 29 Model A. Just found out what I was doing wrong.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
I see it as your avatar.
Posted By: damnesia Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
Me too
Posted By: RickBin Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Probably your browser cache. Your web browser "caches" commonly accessed images so it doesn't have to download them every time (and not downloading each one every time speeds up your browsing). Eventually the cached image expires and it downloads a new one.

This, exactly.

The new avatar uploads immediately, but your browser will load the cached image until it expires, which time is entirely a function of your browser settings.

If you clean your cookies and refresh, you should see it right away.

I see the Savage biz card as your avatar right now.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/08/22
Great, thanks for letting me know. The car still showed up when I first posted this. I'll sign off then get back on. Maybe that will fix it.
Car still there. If everyone else can see the card that's fine. I don't know how to clean my cookies. I'm internet challenged and don't really care.
Posted By: Blitz Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/08/22
David,

What browser are you using?
Google I guess
Posted By: Blitz Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/09/22
If you are running Windows it will be Edge:

Open Microsoft Edge, select Menu (3 dots icon on top right corner of the browser) > Settings > Privacy & services.
Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.
Select "Cached images and files" and "Cookies and other site data" check box and then select Clear.

If it is Firefox:
In the Menu bar at the top of the screen, click Firefox and select Preferences. ...
Select the Privacy & Security panel.
In the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data….
Remove the check mark in front of Cookies and Site Data. ...
With Cached Web Content check marked, click the Clear button.

If Safari on a Mac:
In the Safari app on your Mac, choose History > Clear History, then click the pop-up menu.

Choose how far back you want your browsing history cleared.

Hope this helps!

I was an IT guy for 40 years in another life....

Blitz
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/09/22
It's microsoft edge. I click on the 3 dots. the only thing that comes up is services, when I click on services none of the other choices come up.
Posted By: damnesia Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by wyo1895
It's microsoft edge.

There's your problem sir.
Posted By: Blitz Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/09/22
David,

In the address bar type this:

Edge://settings/privacy

That should get you to where you need as outlined above.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: how do i change my avatar - 12/09/22
Yahoo!!!! it worked. thanks Blitz
© 24hourcampfire