Home
Posted By: Ebbie Model 99 search - 12/09/22
I know this is a long shot but I am trying to find the rifle that my dad once owned. Savage model 99 EG 1946, it was sold in Central PA around 2012. It had a s/n 445445. Let me know if you have it, I would love to have it back home.
Posted By: Kram7088 Re: Model 99 search - 12/09/22
Good luck with your search
Posted By: BillR Re: Model 99 search - 12/10/22
Challenging but not impossible. I knew a Canadian WW2 veteran that found the Enfield 303 British he had carried for most of the European campaign. It was located at an American gun show he attended by chance.
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
Thanks, hope I will be that lucky!
Posted By: iskra Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
Adding my "Good Luck!"
Best!
John
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
Keep the faith. Miracles happen!

I bought two Savage 99 rifles, one came from New Hampshire, one from Texas, several years apart. One rifle had a damaged stock but I liked the stock on the other gun so I thought I'd see what it looked like to switch em. The serial number off the New Hampshire gun stock matched the Texas rifle.

True story so help me God. Here they are reunited.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
That sounds to good to be TRUE and thank you much for the verry nice and rare 99s
Posted By: Loggah Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
yup, the Dick rifle stock,still seems hard to believe. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Model 99 search - 12/11/22
Originally Posted by topnotch99
That sounds to good to be TRUE and thank you much for the verry nice and rare 99s

Glad you like them Dick.
Posted By: hanco Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
Good luck, hope you get it back. I posted a pic of a G33/40 custom I bought. A guy contacted me that sold it some years ago. I let him have it back for what I had in it. Maybe someone will see your notice, get it back to you.
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
Yeah that is what I’m hoping for. Thank you
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
I found a note in the buttstock inside a 99 in 284 the other day. Note was from 1989. It was a repair bill from a gunsmith with the name of the customer on it. Little town of Mapleton, Wi. I Goggled the guy and the first listing had a phone number. I called it. Told him my name and that I was from Oregon, looking for so and so, was this him? LOL

After a little back and forth, "What the F is someone from Oregon calling looking for so and so doing calling me?" He settled down when I told him I had a Savage 99 with his name in the buttstock. He turned out to be 77 years old and remembered the gun well. Said it was a hell of a shooter and he doesn't know why he sold it. Had a really nice chat. He was old enough it sounded like he might be done hunting.
I need some of your luck Fireball2! Lol
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by Ebbie
I need some of your luck Fireball2! Lol

So do I. I have the box for Savage #227114 but no rifle.
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
26 plus 99's coming up for auction on Jan 8 at Reddings Gun Auction in Gettysburg, Pa.
Might look at the list to see if the caliber you're looking for is there.
Thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: OLSKOOL Re: Model 99 search - 12/12/22
i sure hope you bring it home! please let us know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 12/13/22
I am hoping that I can, I will be posting here if it happens
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Model 99 search - 12/13/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Keep the faith. Miracles happen!

I bought two Savage 99 rifles, one came from New Hampshire, one from Texas, several years apart. One rifle had a damaged stock but I liked the stock on the other gun so I thought I'd see what it looked like to switch em. The serial number off the New Hampshire gun stock matched the Texas rifle.

True story so help me God. Here they are reunited.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

YOURE A LIAR!

😂. That is unbelievable, God must collect 99’s
It was last seen at J&D Guns Duncansville PA in 2013.
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Model 99 search - 12/13/22
The gun shop should have a record of who they sold it to in their log.
Unfortunately they went out of business a year or two after that.
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 12/23/22
No luck yet, I stumbled upon a 99G in .300 today though which was a nice surprise.
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: Model 99 search - 12/29/22
Another gun auction at Reddings in Gettysburg, Pa on 29 Jan..
A lot of older 99's and quite a few pre-64 Mod 70's going off.
If you have a serial, they post them with the pics on their site.
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 01/11/23
Thanks, I did see that and looked at all of them but didn’t see the one I’m looking for.
Posted By: the444shooter Re: Model 99 search - 01/19/23
I hope you find it. I think I've told this story here, but I usually only read, rather than post. I was able to reunite an EG in .300 Savage to a family friend of mine. My dad had bought it from his dad for timber elk hunting back in the late 80s or early 90s. The father (my dad's friend) passed away and his son (my friend by default) inquired about it. I let him have it for a bottle of whiskey. Honestly didn't even care about the whiskey; I was just happy to get it back to an heir.

Fate smiled on me because when my brother found out I did that, he gifted me the Winchester 88 in .243 that our dad had passed down to him.

And then I found an EG in .308 that I rehabbed, and now all is right in the world.

Keep searching, you may come up with it--stranger things have happened.
Posted By: RAS Re: Model 99 search - 01/19/23
Almost a great ending, but true.

Bought a 99F out of NY that had a private bill of sale in the butt stock from 1961. Both buyer and seller were from Michigan. After some research, the buyer was dead and so was his son, but not his grandson. I contacted the grandson and asked if he wanted to buy back his late grandfather’s 99F for same money. He was appreciative but passed. I would have bought it in a second.
Posted By: Ebbie Re: Model 99 search - 01/20/23
Thanks for the stories guys, still hoping someone on this forum sees this thread and reaches back to me.
© 24hourcampfire