Home
Posted By: PD1107 1899 Take Down question - 02/05/23
I have recently acquired an 1899 250-3000 take down. The screw for the barrel tenon was loose and I finally managed to remove it safely but the threads at the very bottom are misshapen and I cannot use my thread checker to determine size. Can anyone here steer me in the proper direction as to size and thread pitch?
Posted By: norm99 Re: 1899 Take Down question - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by PD1107
I have recently acquired an 1899 250-3000 take down. The screw for the barrel tenon was loose and I finally managed to remove it safely but the threads at the very bottom are misshapen and I cannot use my thread checker to determine size. Can anyone here steer me in the proper direction as to size and thread pitch?

I don"t
know what you mean by barrel tenon, picture or better discription please.

Norm
I just checked one 6-48.
Posted By: PD1107 Re: 1899 Take Down question - 02/06/23
[quote=missedbycracky]I just checked one 6-48.[/

Thank you, I appreciate the information.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 1899 Take Down question - 02/06/23
I'll be darned if I can picture a 6-48 screw anywhere close to the barrel tenon on a 99 takedown. What are you guys talking about?
The forend on my 1899 latches onto a tenon which fits into a dovetail machined into the underside of the barrel. In that dovetail is machined a mortise for a set screw. I believe the screw is a half dog screw.
Ok. The term "barrel tenon" is used to describe that part of the barrel which fits into the receiver.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 1899 Take Down question - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'll be darned if I can picture a 6-48 screw anywhere close to the barrel tenon on a 99 takedown. What are you guys talking about?

Ditto
Thanks for your take on grammar. Any help regarding the screw?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 1899 Take Down question - 02/06/23
The forend on my 1899 latches onto a tenon which fits into a dovetail machined into the underside of the barrel. In that dovetail is machined a mortise for a set screw. I believe the screw is a half dog screw.

OK, Savage calls that the barrel stud. Lots of variation in the piece as it evolved. It's basically a 6-48 set screw for that style. I don't recall seeing any that had the half dog tip on themm Some don't have a set screw at all.

It's not "grammar", it's definition. As for that set screw, 6-48 sounds right. I had one whose set screw was mangled so I drilled it out and threaded it and fitted a tiny short Allen set screw. Don't remember what size I used and I'm not inclined to dig it out to find out. Any screw in that vicinity of size will work for such a repair.
Sounds like all you need is 6-48 plug. ?? Not a difficult find.

plug
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

OK, Savage calls that the barrel stud. Lots of variation in the piece as it evolved. It's basically a 6-48 set screw for that style. I don't recall seeing any that had the half dog tip on themm Some don't have a set screw at all.

Thank you.
© 24hourcampfire