Home
Posted By: jambrdly Stith/Savage 23C - 01/28/24
Can anyone identify this model of Stith mount for the Savage 23C?

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 8.23.59 PM.jpeg
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 01/28/24
Looks to me like the mount in the dovetail is a genuine Stith and the rear ‘mount’ is something that was fabricated by the owner or a gunsmith.
How is the scope attached to the rear mount?
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 01/28/24
That is the correct Stith mount for these rifles, the rear uses two holes for #6-48 screws and can directly mount on later version of these rifles that were drilled & tapped for the No 15 receiver sight. The rear mount is not long enough for to use the early hole pattern for the No 5 & No 10 sights, those used two different size screws spaced farther apart - one a #10 & one a #5. There are a couple members who have these mounts. The examples I have use slot heads screws, which is what the early Stiths used. later they went to all socket heads.

[Linked Image]

Here's an example I have that was taken off a gun, who ever did it, did not remove the front tube from the dovetail piece so they could loosen the set screw and just drove it out, which left a lot of marks & distortion and I would think a big groove in the bottom of the dovetail on the gun. This one uses all slot head screws except the ones holding the front tube to the dovetail piece.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stoeger No 37, 1946.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 01/28/24
As always great stuff Gene
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 01/28/24
I have seen very few of the Stith mounts for the 23's.

That looks like one nice 23C pictured.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 01/31/24
I have a couple of these mounts, one that sits nicely on a 23AA with a Weaver scope. Be sure to hold on to yours as they don’t turn up that often.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 02/01/24
Here's the one on my 23AA. I think Kurt found this one for me, then Gene confirmed it was the proper Stith. Weaver 29S.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: dallased Re: Stith/Savage 23C - 02/01/24
Love the stith set up. I only have one model 99 with the proper stith mount and weaver scope but it is a joy to own.
© 24hourcampfire