Home
Posted By: Savage1907 Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
Savage Pistol collectors, here is a page from a 1911-1913 catalog from Paris, France preceding WWI in Europe. (I have the complete catalog).

Do you see it? 😊

French Ad
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
Link doesn't work..
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
Works with google chrome.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
Interesting to see them list a 'Cal .25' version, I wonder if they ever got any of those over there? This is the only catalog listing of those I have seen. I'm surprised at the cost of the Smith & Wesson compared to the Savage.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]
Originally Posted by GeneB
Interesting to see them list a 'Cal .25' version, I wonder if they ever got any of those over there? This is the only catalog listing of those I have seen. I'm surprised at the cost of the Smith & Wesson compared to the Savage.
Does the Cal. 25 mean;
1) a 25 cal. in the Model 1907 form? Don't think I've heard of one.
2) Or, the smaller 25 Cal. pistol form? Totally different than pistol than pictured.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage Pistols in France - 02/23/24
Yep, link was fixed and it's working for me now.

I'd presume it was to be the smaller 25 caliber pistol. It's the only thing they got close to production on, as far as anybody knows.
I suspect it may have been one of the known Savage .25 forms. Perhaps an eager Savage sales department getting the cart ahead of the horse just as WWI landed on Europe. Timing about right… within months of first French Contract order.

Would take some tall explaining to offer a product for sale that a company did not offer, even in Europe.
Originally Posted by GeneB

I know !

In Bailey’s memorabilia is a printing block engraved with a line drawing of a .25. Labels glued to back and side are completely illegible. He and I assumed it was for a more modern book similar to Gun Digest or Blue Book. But have been unableable to match it to one.
© 24hourcampfire