Home
Posted By: Peddie Sticky safety - 04/17/24
I have a 1934 vintage 99, and the safety "switch" is sticky and hard to engage.

My gunsmith will work on it, but doesn't know 99s.

Anything special he should know?

Any tiny hidden parts which could get lost?

Thanks for help
Posted By: damnesia Re: Sticky safety - 04/17/24
I flat spring. Doesn't look like a normal spring. Hard to describe but it's the only other part of the safety besides the slider.
Posted By: missedbycracky Re: Sticky safety - 04/17/24
I wrote a technical note on the 99 safety and posted it on the 99 Club website on FB. I did another one on the 99 lever kinematics. They are pdf files and I don't know how to post them here, but I will make them available to you if you want to give them to your gunsmith.
Posted By: missedbycracky Re: Sticky safety - 04/17/24
I wrote a technical note on the 99 safety and posted it on the 99 Club website on FB. I did another one on the 99 lever kinematics. They are pdf files and I don't know how to post them here, but I will make them available to you if you want to give them to your gunsmith.

The spring looks like a twice folded piece of ribbon candy, in miniature, of course. I'll ty to get a picture. It is also true that if the lever lacks even a few thousandths of an inch closing all the way, the safety slide can be difficult to operate in either direction.
Posted By: Peddie Re: Sticky safety - 04/17/24
Great help. I hadn't thought of the lever. I'm not on FB, but if you have pdf files, you could email them to me at

[email protected]

I'll go through them, and forward to my gunsmith.

I'm leaving the guns to my son, and want them "right" (and safe) before I go.
Posted By: Peddie Re: Sticky safety - 04/18/24
Special thanks to missedbycracky who forwarded great information that will help me and my gunsmith tune up my 90 year old .250.

Important that we preserve and share this knowledge. Thanks again.
© 24hourcampfire