Home
Posted By: Hemlock_Ranger Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
This has probably been answered before, but a weaver scope in a Savage box on e-bay made me wonder.
Savage scopes were made in Japan. I believe the Name was Suwa or something like that. Weaver had nothing to do with it.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
I spoke with the seller. The box does not belong to the scope. The scope is not a Savage scope. As for who made Savage scopes, that I am not sure of!!

Mike...
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
SUWA, made in Japan. Supposed to be quite decent scopes for their day. I have one, for a 22, and a straight 4 power coming. I bid on that auction, just for the box, but bid low, as it wasn't anything I "needed". I just knew they don't roll along often.
I E-Mailed in 1 1/2 yrs ago the SAVAGE Mdl.0400-4Xscope was U.S.A. made, but don't remember by whom. Most of the others were Japan made. If you see 3-etched rings on the rear of the scope, its Japan. Course, I don't know if you can say "Never Say Never" with the SAVAGE scopes or not. This is something I have noticed. ... 99 LL ...
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
Golly,didn't JTC tell someone at the Fest 07 that Weaver made the early scopes?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
very early ones, yes.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
Cool, good to know, if I can just remember.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/14/07
Originally Posted by Hemlock_Ranger
This has probably been answered before, but a weaver scope in a Savage box on e-bay made me wonder.

Weaver Was Orginally Contracted and Made Scopes for Savage for the 1st few Years,,
at a later date Savage Went to Japan as L.B.K. said and Suwa-Howa
Or Know a SUWA made Savage Scopes.
I have 4,,1 Orginally Made By Weaver,the othr 3 from Japan.
Pretty Darn Good Scopes.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/15/07
Early = pre-WWII

Later = 60's

Does anyone have one of the #0400, 4x Savage scopes?
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/15/07
There's a fellow that posts on the Marlin Owner's board that appears to be a scope collector. Goes by Doc Sharptail. He may have some background on the Savage scopes. I know he has provided input on Marlin scopes. These scope questions are an interesting tangent on Savage collecting. Don
Hey Rick: I have a 0400, 4X scope,U.S.A. on a 99F, .300,(55) along with the box it came in. Dark, reddish maroon, with gold print "SAVAGE Scope Sight" & The Chief incircle. All the info I have on it.

Also a SAVAGE SUWA Japan, 4X33, Mdl.0433B, initials 'SL' in a diamond shape. That's on a 99R .300 (53) along with SAVAGE rings & mounts.

A SAVAGE-SUWA JAPAN, Mdl.3883, 3-8x33, initials 'SL' in a diamond shape. That's on a 110 .270 (1958).

I have a SAVAGE 2 1/2X scope on another 99F .358 (??) that is buried under the wife's cloth, clothes, materials, craft items, and stuff that I haven't seen in several years. Hope it is still there !!! Barely get into the guest room. ... 99 LL ...
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Who made Savage scopes? - 11/16/07
The 0400 sold for quite a bit more than the Japan version and probably not many were sold. I'm still looking for one...one of these days it will turn up. smile

How do the two 4x's compare as far as clairity and brightness. Is there any noticable difference?

Rick: No noticable dif. Of course, I'm sighting inside now 33'
away, crosshairs same size, cleaned dust off the lenses, seems the same. Now outside on a target might be abit dif. Will try it sometime. ... 99 LL ...
© 24hourcampfire