Home
Posted By: whiplash Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Does anybody know what models (M99) had barrel bands w/sling swivel, from the factory, if any? I cant remember exactly what model mine is, as I am at work (dont tell the boss). I hope that if it isnt factory, that it will come off easily, and hasnt damaged/marked the barrel. Have to look later. What I do know, is....300 Savage,lever safety, metal butt plate, rounds counter, NOT drilled and tapped for scope mount. This is my first and only M99....until last weekend! got another one, in .308 Win. Also, does anyone know of a site that has pictures of the models as they progressed through time? Thank you
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Your gonna like it here smile
Boss is gonna hate this site.
Welcome aboard.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Do you mean barrel bands that wrap around the wood as well or are you talking about the sling swivels that just wrap around the barrel itself?
Posted By: whiplash Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Its not so much like a normal barrel band. (and its on the barrel only, not the stock). But like a 3/4 band that might have been installed by sliding it over the barrel, down midway, and then tightend until snug. Thats what leads me to believe that its not factory. But you guys are the experts. So any info would be appreciated. Hopefully I can post some pics later...
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
It's not factory.. there was a 99H which was a true barrel band, but that's the only one. And very few models came with sling studs.

Go to www.savagela.org to see the models, but it doesn't have all and doesn't have all variations. The 99H mentioned above was probably the worst for having a lot of variations, but many went through changes.

Welcome to the forum!
Posted By: hunterdan Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Does it look like this kinda?
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93418632
Not factory, thats what I thought. Thanks. Now I will have to get home and see how easily that band/sling swivel comes off. Hopefully no scratches etc. That gun hasnt been modified at all, not even drilled/tapped for mounts.....yes I am looking forward to hanging out here in this forum. Its nice to have a forum that deals with a specific model of gun, especially a gun that has so much history...Sorry hunterdan, cant access that site, as its blocked by govt computers...aaahhgggg. Have to wait til I get home....
I did managed to get to that savagela.org site. and it does look real similar to this (Cube's Granddads 300)

http://savagela.org/Images/Cubes300EGFront.JPG
Posted By: Harry M Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
If ya got a barrel band H in the .300 Savage I think it's the only year for that caliber....That's also a model/caliber that I covet dearly. Hope to score one some day.

Harry M.
If it looks like the picture then it's probably a 99EG. Good rifle in a good caliber, though one of the most common configurations. It's what I hunt with, and it does the job just fine! :Grin:
Posted By: Chip Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
That's a type sling swivel that Uncle Mikes make. I've got one on an EG like that. Just left it on as the butt stock has a stud in the stock. Does yours have a stud for a swivel screwed into the butt stock?
Yes Chip, it does have a stud/swivel in the stock.
Posted By: billy336 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Originally Posted by Harry M
If ya got a barrel band H in the .300 Savage I think it's the only year for that caliber....That's also a model/caliber that I covet dearly. Hope to score one some day.

Harry M.

The 300 with a barrel band was produced for 9 months only. I've only seen one.
Posted By: Harry M Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
9 months!! Well that explains why I've never seen one . Gezzz I'd have better luck finding a "T".

Well I guess I got good taste but apparently no hope of getting one. I haven't seen it mentioned here much the the barrel band H in the .300 Savage is so rare. 9 months of production would make it rarer than the famous "T" would it not?

Harry M.
Much more rare.. the 99T was made for over 5 years. I hadn't realized the barrel band was made for such a short time either.
Seek, look at that....my first post here sparked some interesting info on that "H" in 300 Savage. Sounds pretty rare. I will have to keep my eyes out for that one...
Posted By: billy336 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Much more rare.. the 99T was made for over 5 years. I hadn't realized the barrel band was made for such a short time either.

Just in that caliber. The old man lets me drool over his from time to time, think I even shot it once. IMHO , it should never see daylight.
Thanks billy.. I meant to say "barrel band in 300". Don't have a barrel band, would like to add one. Something about them and the SRC's..
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
I like mine, a .30-30!! (a little bubbad', but I can over look it as being history grin )

Mike...

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/Savage%2099H%2030%2030/
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Get you name legally changed to Don and it wouldn't be so bad smile

other than that it looks to be in pretty darn good shape...
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/26/08
Yeah, I need to change my first and last name and I will be good to go!! grin

I never fugued out why someone would do that. The serial number is unique enough!!

Mike...
Wonder if the value would go up if you got a good engraver to convert that first name from Don to Eddie.. Put a little plaque on it that says "Limited Editiion". grin
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
what is the story with the serial number? Guessing that is not factory blueing? confused
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
I was thinking:

>> DON CORLEONE <<

grin grin grin

Mike...
Yes, factory blueing, and the serial number is not in the photos so I am not sure if that question was meant for me or not??

Mike...
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
Yeah, I need to change my first and last name and I will be good to go!! grin

I never fugued out why someone would do that. The serial number is unique enough!!

Mike...

What did you mean by "the serial number is unique enough?"
OH, OK. Serial numbers are unique to the rifle itself for identification. There is no reason to enscribe your name. Just write down the serial number and you know that the rifle is yours. Name is not necessary!!

Mike...
whistle sleep blush

Right, I'm an idiot...

my favorite is when you see one with a name and social security #... not only do you get a rifle but a free line of credit!!!!
grin grin grin

That's good...

Mike...
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
I like mine, a .30-30!! (a little bubbad', but I can over look it as being history grin )

Mike...

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/Savage%2099H%2030%2030/

Mee Tooo! grin
Posted By: hunterdan Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
Coconut???
Coconut???
Coconut???

Mike...
Posted By: gd'40EG-300 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
Coconut???

Mike...

I believe Dan is quoting a line from a 1998 movie �.. : � There�s something about Mary . �

Remember when Matt Dillon�s character is playing checkers with Warren ? ( Cameron Diaz�s retarded brother ) �

Look and listen to the background �.. a � retard � falls out of a coconut tree during a field day and walks over to them and says � coconut , coconut � ��Matt Dillion�s character replied : � coconut �.. yeah , thaaat�s nice �
See, I was just watching "The Godfather III". I have very different quotes going through my mind right now!! grin grin grin

Mike...
Posted By: gd'40EG-300 Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYsVcp1kUvA

Posted By: whiplash Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
Ok....I am at home now, and can view pics. That front barrel band/sling swivel was indeed the same as in the link that I posted from the site.....It did come off the barrel very easily. And fortunately the previous owner placed electrical tape under the metal, and tightening screw. That way there was no metal to metal contact, to scratch things up. The tape residue cleaned up nice. When I do reinstall that band, I will use a very thin rubber washer/gasket of some sort. Now that I know the barrel band is not factory, I have to assume the rear stock swivel stud is an add on. I hope that wouldnt decrease value too much. It was installed nicely. It is a 576XXX serial number. And in great condition. Now I just need to find those Stith mounts! And I need to start getting those books for research and stuff...Thanks for all the help folks!
Posted By: 99LL leverlover Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
Hey Billy: I've known of 2,.300 B.B.Carbs, 1 won't sell his & other already did! Regrets it. You say it was made for 9 mos. Murrays said in 1940 w/22"bbl. I have a HUNTING AND FISHING MAG.Sept.1937, 5 cents, an ad for Hudson's Sporting Gds, N.Y.C., SAVAGE 99H Carb, .250, 30-30, .300cal...$38.90.

And that was in 1937... Not 1940. Never Say Never.... Wifey hunts with one .303H BB (1931). Just sum info..... 99 LL .....
Posted By: hunterdan Re: Barrel bands??? - 02/27/08
Sorry....Coconut just crossed my mind when going through that thread.And Yes it was something about Mary.
© 24hourcampfire