Home
What. Is the Difference and Reason for 250-3000 ACKLEY IMPROVED WITH A 40 DEGREE SHOULDER??? Is it Not the Shoulder only? and Why did they do this?
Just wondering for my own curiosity.
Steve

the 250 AI give you ballistic more in line with a 257 Bob, thats why, you get more powder in the case and a more efficient burn with the short angled shoulder. It is just the shoulder that is different. Les
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If you handload,the 250 AI can be pushed to nearly match 25/06 factory fodder numbers.

I would never have a 99 converted to it,but it's a cool round in a small bolt action rifle.My Dad hunts with a 250 AI made on a Weatherby Varmintmaster action-with a Leupold 3.5-10x,it weights right at 6 pounds IIRC.

WB.
I don't think I would push it past 257 Bob standards........25-06 is really pushing it man. laugh
There just isn't enough case capacity in the 250AI to match the 25-06, if they are loaded to equal pressures, loaded with the same bullets, and have their speed measured by the same chronograph. The 250AI's reputation was made in the days before chronographs were commonly owned by "the average reloader" and high pressure was determined when primers started to flow.

Jeff
If any of you noticed,I said 25/06 factory loads,most of which aren't loaded real hot.

But whatever....

WB.
In bolt guns loading the .250AI, getting top performance pivots on whether you have a long or short action. With a long action rifle you can outseat the bullets and get more powder capacity.
WB, notice my smiley, not that i wouldn't push it in the right rifle. grin
The 250AI also doesn't have a tapered case, it's blown out straight, which allows more powder in the case.
Chip - yes, that is certainly where the .250 AI gets most of its increased powder capacity. I like this cartridge because you can use both standard and wildcat ammunition. And, when you use standard ammunition, your fired cases are perfectly formed. I have quite a bit of experience with the .257 Robert AI. I currently have an 8mm-06 improved and used to have an 8 mm Gibbs which is basically and 8mm-06 improved improved. I also had a .280 AI/.270 Gibbs switch barrel that I liked real well. It's all fun wink
If any of you noticed, I wrote "equal pressures".

But whatever.....

The 250AI made its reputation for greatness before chronographs were a common shooting bench tool for the serious reloader. POA never let a little thing like extreme high pressure get in the way of his favorite cartridges. This is obvious when you compare his comments on the 250AI and the 25 Souper, 2 cartridges that couldn't have closer preformance potentials. Per POA, the 250AI is super, while the 25 Souper is marginally OK, damned with faint praise. Load them to the same pressures and the results will be within rounding error of being equal.

Jeff
I'll take the blue one.You can keep the purple one.I don't think the purple one will work,but you can try.

WB.
??????

Jeff
You might be on to something-maybe the purple one will work?I still want the blue one nonetheless.

WB.
© 24hourcampfire