Home
is there any reason not to? like wood stock warpage or easily rusting?
Mine is like any other gun to me. I just clean and dry/oil when its over. My 99 has a harder time getting me to take it out in the rain these days, rainy days at deer camp are for cribbage and bourbon.
I just take my stainless Ruger if it's raining.That's why I bought that rifle.I don't think the rain would hurt my 99's if their cared for afterwords as Grogel said,but I have to justify all my guns not just the 99's lol.
Rain & drizzle? I'm going along with Grogel on those days!!

Richard

Shoot one from the barn on rainy days. smile
Their great water gun's.When it's nice out,take your Winnies
I would take ALMOST any 99 I own out in the rain. smile

Mike
Never had any 99's out in the rain. Snow - yes. But if it was raining, I would stay out with it like I would with any other rifle, just making sure that water does not pool up in the barrel!!

Mike...
Excellent idea jed, but I don't have one on wheels here.
Apples will bring um to the barn.
Around here we some times get 8 feet of rain and 4 feet of snow in a good (or bad) year. Every thing goes out in the rain or it goes nowhere.We don't still hunt around here cause at the end of the day your firearm will would have moss growing on it.
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
Shoot one from the barn on rainy days. smile

That brings up a funny story. I used to hunt a lot up in Del Norte County in nor Cal. (Redwoods). We had a family cabin on the Smith River that we used as our base camp. My buddy and I had hunted hard for a week, and he was the only one to get a nice little four point the evening before we were to leave. The next morning I get up, and go to the bath room, look out the window, by God, there are 2 bucks eating the apples off the little orchard my grandfather had planted. I retrieved my rifle, opened the window, quietly, Bang!

My buddy, must of hit the ceiling, he was all disoreinted. I came out of the bathroom and said, "guess I shouldn't have had the second helping of beans!"

Needles to say, it is the second easist shot on a game animal I have ever taken.
I've got too many other rifle I don't really care about to take one of my 99s in the rain. It is almost a moot question, because I will put off hunting if I can if it is raining out. Rain is the worst weather to hunt in. The camp is wood stove heated, and I can tell you for sure that it is harder to keep the place warm when it is 40 and rainy than it is in any 15-20 degree weather. The rain just sucks the heat out of the building quicker.
My "bod" doesn't like to get wet in the rain... not at my age... and I'd NEVAH... repeat... NEVAH take my 99 or any other blued rifle with a wooden stock out in the rain.

Snow? Yes! Rain? No! 'Nuff said... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Dont have a problem with hunting my 99s in the rain, but Im getting where I dont care to be out in it! Just need to clean and oil them up after, these guns, alot of them have been hunting for a 100 years or so, and can take a bath now and then! John
I don't REALLY mind the rain either. Animals are out there rain or shine. I ALWAYS have a rainy day gun along on any trip I make
Originally Posted by rusty75
is there any reason not to? like wood stock warpage or easily rusting?

I wouldn't do it. Most of the reasons mentioned apply to me as well.
I don`t take mine out in anything other than ...sunny weather.
Ok, if it`s a little cloudy, I`ll consider it.
They still get plenty of fresh air during the hunting season though.
I never take a rifle I care about into the rain, and I care alot about my 99's.
My old EG would head out in the rain with me, though a lot of others I have wouldn't.
rain and snow are great hunting..until my ass gets wet.them im done.
First I should say that I am a hunter.....not a collector....even though I own 11 Savage 99's. My guns were bought to use not look at, even though I consider the '99 to be the sexiest rifle ever built and a work of art.

Of course I take my '99's out in the rain. In Texas, it's often hot and dry during the deer season. The days when it rains and cools off (particularly if it's one of those slow, drizzly rains) is the best time to sneak through the woods and surprize a buck out enjoying the weather.

I do wax the stocks and oil and clean everything after a day in the wet, but I don't treat my '99's any different than my other guns. No safe queens at my house!!

I have come to the point that I realize the value of true collector-grade '99's. In years past I have "ruined" several almost perfect rifles with scratches and wear from hunting.....and all of my rifles are drilled and tapped soon after I get my hands on them.

The only thing I do differently now than in years past is when I come across a rifle that is untouched and "too nice to hunt with"......I trade it to a true "collecor" who appreciates the condition, for a '99 with lesser condition that I can hunt with (plus an appropriate amount of cash!!). Works out quite well.....they get a "pretty" rifle they want, and I end up with a great "shooter"......sometimes basically "free".

...My 99F in 284 Winchester is a pet of mine and goes afield only on special occasions. In inclement weather I carry my Brown Precision "High Country", hardchrome throughout, it is impervious to wet weather with it's Kevlar stock (also 284 Winchester).A trick I've used for years to keep water and debris out of the barrel, is to roll a small party balloon over the muzzle. When a shot is fired on game the balloon simply 'disappears.
A popular shooting magazine did extensive testing with the balloon on the end of the barrel and wound up with the conclusion that the balloon actually improved accuracy considerably. The difference would not be a big deal for hunting, but was an extreme difference for match shooting. To bad I can not remember the magazine!!

Mike...
I'll generally pull out a condom and slip over most of my rifles if it starts to drizzle.

Some of my rifles have ft. sights, some are magna-ported, in any case a condom will fit over all without tearing. Combined with a rubber band to hold, it�s not going anywhere unless I pull the trigger. A lot of us will carry a condom in the wallet, so it's always there when needed

But, if it starts to rain before I get out in the field, I would rather stick around camp, do the camp chores & catch up on needed rest.

Richard
Hey Texas & Lauren Your right 100%. We've shot our biggest bucks on rainy day's.Perfect still hunting weather.On rainy day's, instead of the oldtimers taking their Springfields and 70's they would grab the 94, Marlin or 99.Not get a 99 wet,you must be joking.Instead of being pansies under the blanket's,take your Savage out,you may be surprised what happens
Hunting season Starts in 2 days and last 6 months, 6 tags. Type in sitka by the sea, on the google and check out the second web site with live cam. We may not have a chicken in every pot but we have a skiff in evey driveway. We hunt in rain or shine. It's not the rain that gets your firearm, it's the salt spray that's a killer. Never used a balloon but have put scoth tape on for 30 years.
It was a real soaker for last year's Pa. deer opener. As I sat there with my 358 Brush Gun, eyeballing my son's new Rem 700 SPS, it made me go HMMMM. Add in the nearby gunshop that had a Brush gun listed at $1800 and the wheels really were turning. When my wife said she would buy me a new rifle for my birthday, I said OK, stainless and synthetic, here we come.

I now own a Tikka T3 with a Bushnell Elite 4200 for crappy weather hunting but if I'm out with the 99 and a rain comes up, well, its just gonna get wet like it has for the last 30 years. Same as my Dad's done for over 50 years with his 99F. They dry.

Dale
[Linked Image]

I'm sorry Lord, that ain't right
If it were me, I'd get that nice SRC back inside right quick eek
Here is my T out on a wet day. It has been reblued, d&t, etc so I just see it as just a good deer gun and an interesting conversation piece with other hunters.
[img]http://[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/circuitrider46/101_0468.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/circuitrider46/101_0473.jpg[/img][/img]
My post is definitley a second to Dale's rainy Pa Deer Season last year cry but me and my boy were still out there crazy smile

A rainy day hunting is better than a dry day most anywhere else.

CR

PS
Hey guys say a prayer for my motherinlaw she is having a heart valve replaced right now in Pittsburgh Pa. I'm online at the hospital and they let me on the fire smile
Doug
Prayer Sent For Your Motherinlaw.
Steve
ditto to Dale and C-R........in 45 years of PA openers that was the worst I can remember but my EG was with me. I buy them primarily to hunt but have a couple closet queens also.
BTW, C-R - prayer outgoing, I hope all goes well.
Thanks Steve she is doing well we're just waiting for the bone cracker to wrap it up.

CR
Hope everything goes well,Padre!!!!!
[Linked Image]

Mike...
Rain, snow, sleet, hail or high winds, anytime you can beat the ears or nose on a deer you got an advantage. Whether with crossbow, muzzle loader or rifle (yes even a 99)I'm out there. Soft drizzle is a personal favorite to still hunt.

Just make sure to properly take care of your firearm thereafter. smile
I have always taken very good care of my rifles. I was never a collector in any means until I started my obsession with Savage 99's. Even now, when I do have a few pristine rifles saved away for the future, I still do not hesitate to take out the "good ones". Just be diligent with how you take care of them in the wet weather and everything will be just fine. (By the way, the white Russians have taken over)... grin grin grin

Mike...
Rusty75

Savages are Like any-other Guns with Blue and Wood. We are Only Caretakers of them. Whether you Shoot,Hunt or Collect Them They are meant to be cared for and used. And After all Savages have Been in the Woods,Field,Snow,Rain,sun Shine, for well over 112 years and will continue to do the same for a long,long time.

I Use My guns no Matter How Good Or Bad it Is. That's why they Call it Hunting.
Mine Where In Snow Rain in 2006 and 2007 Snow-Wet Fog.
I also have an all Weather Savage in 1899/99 that will take about any-kind of weather. J.M.O.

2006 Snow-Wet.
[Linked Image]

2007 Snow-Fog
[Linked Image]

all Weather Savage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Did you have that "All Weather" hard chromed?

Thanks,

Richard

Absolutely take all in rain or snow. Just clean em really well when I get home...
Absolutely take all in rain or snow. Just clean em really well when I get home...
If I'm going out (rain, snow, sun, wind), the Savage 99 is going out. I got it to hunt with. I've taken some of my nicest deer during inclement weather while the other guys at the camp were looking out the camp windows and listening to the weather reports on the radio.

Nuff said.

cur dog
....1899, Who did the plating on that "all weather Savage"? I've a Remington 600 that Armoloy hard chromed throughout for me. It came out to shiny for my tastes, had them re-do it three times! With the right surface blasting it finally came out a beautiful pearl gray that has near no reflectivity beyond a matt gray shine a tic or two less bright than matt stainless. I love it! It has served me well for thirty years now, no rust, no scratches..That Savage looks great..
I HUNT IN ANY KIND OF WEATHER AND THAT IS WHAT MY GUNS ARE FOR NOT TO LOOK AT THATS LIKE HAVING A CAR AND NOT DRIVING IT .
Originally Posted by olhippie
....1899, Who did the plating on that "all weather Savage"? I've a Remington 600 that Armoloy hard chromed throughout for me. It came out to shiny for my tastes, had them re-do it three times! With the right surface blasting it finally came out a beautiful pearl gray that has near no reflectivity beyond a matt gray shine a tic or two less bright than matt stainless. I love it! It has served me well for thirty years now, no rust, no scratches..That Savage looks great..

olhippie
I Bought the Gun that Way Years ago,,It Was Done Some Where In California,,all the Screw and Such where Blued and the Rest Plated,Nice Contrast to it and It Is a Tac-Driver.
I try to Find the Link on Who did the Plating and Send it to Ya.
Steve
-Just backing up the misery tht was the 2007 Pennsylvania deer opener. We open on a Monday morning. Had decent weather on the Saturday prior-just enough for us to get in our annual fish fry. It started raining Saturday night and didn't quit for the next two days. What a miserable way to have to hunt. To answer the question, my hunting time is way too limited, and way too valuable to sit out the rain. It sucks hunting in that stuff, but if that's the hand I've been dealt, so be it. If I'm carrying my 99, yes it's gonna get a little wet. Mine's far from pristine, so it's a moot point any ways. Of course, it gets a thourough cleaning when we come in.

A related story-'had my dad's old Mauser out on another crappy Pennsylvania opener about 25 years ago. Wet, rainy, about 35 degrees. Came back in for lunch and brought the rifle into the cabin. Wood stove. Dry heat. The stock had no bedding of any kind in it. The wood swelled up, pushed the action around in the channel, and never shot groups after that. I didn't really want to replace the stock, so a trip to gunsmith for a bedding job was in order. I also sprung for a Timney trigger job at the same time. End result-the gun looks ugly, shoots great, and has never changed point of impact. Lesson learned-bedding+good trigger equals a great gun. Also-whenever possible I leave the rifle on the porch or in the trunk of the car to prevent the concerns associated with temperature changes.
© 24hourcampfire