Home
Posted By: Hemlock_Ranger A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
My wife and I spent part of our labor day weekend in the Berkshires to celebrate our 34th_ wedding anniversary. Soooo, since we were only 30 miles from the Savage plant we took a ride over.Shortly after entering the lobby, and just starting to feast my eyes on the display in walked Mr. Coburn. He immediatly dropped his papers and gave us his full attention. I was in shock, and still am. He showed us around the lobby/museum and even retrieved his personal rifle to let me try the accu-trigger.We talked 99's some and I asked about the new 99. He said it looked like next year in 3 grades starting at about $650 and up.When we were done, the receptionist said it isn't often you get the ten cent tour from the CEO. I guess he is not in on Friday's normally. To this Pa. stump jumper he seems to be a very classy man.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
A new 99 would be so cool!
Posted By: sactoller Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A new 99 would be so cool!

Yep, and in 3 grades!!!! laugh
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Neat story!
Coming out with 3 grades of 99's is really to tease my cash stash!! Can't wait and see what they'll do.
Posted By: steve99 Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Steely,

Real wood with cut checkering and an update on the fifties vintage action would be fantastic as long as Savage avoids the post mill trigger/safety.

Maybe a stainless/synthetic stock variation.

Maybe a short rifle with 20" heavy barrel and shortened PG T wood.

Have to wait and see I guess.
If it doesn't end up being a POS,and it's chambered in 358,I'm there.

WB.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Wow.. Only another year of speculation!!! I hope the "top" grade means function, not just pretty gold stuff!!!

Mike..
Posted By: steve99 Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Yeah what he said.
Posted By: DocFoster Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
If it doesn't end up being a POS,and it's chambered in 358,I'm there.

WB.

Put me down for a new one in .358.
I bought this little 250 new around 1971-1972. I know that it's a post mil but has been a really great varmint/deer rifle. Since I'm left handed, I do want a tang safety on a new one though.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for sharing the story.

Mike
Posted By: 99trix Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Free advertising = more lever action savages = more interest in the older ones = more collectors = higher prices = fewer nice one's left around!

Might kill the value on some of the post mil collectable calibers like 22-250 and 7mm-08 if they are reintroduced in a better quality! JMTCW

Blair
Posted By: boltman Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Good point Blair - it actually could produce even more interest in Savages in general which would extend to the older ones. I understand why some around here are excited about the prospect of a new Savage rifles on the market. Regardless of the quality, calibers offered, grades offered and so on, I know I won't be buying one.
Posted By: 99trix Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by boltman
Regardless of the quality, calibers offered, grades offered and so on, I know I won't be buying one.

What if they offer a custom order service? Purchase a one of one? It might not be worth much in our life time, but you could have a new show case for someone's collection 100 years from now!

Blair
Posted By: Steelhead Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Some of you boys are just a stick Savage in the mud......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
Neither will I. I'll stick with the oldies.
Posted By: Chrome Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/01/08
I'd buy one... Or two....
Posted By: OSOK Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/13/08
Well, if they do produce a new 99 I would hope it'd have a rotary mag and 1950's stock configuration. I hate the later models.

Calibers? 250 Savage (fast twist), .260 Rem, 308 Win, 338 Federal
Posted By: Rick99 Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/14/08
Might be a new supply of replacement stocks. Maybe a synthetic version? Would sure help to put some rifles back in service that need wood.
Posted By: sactoller Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/14/08
I would still like to see Savage, another new Savage caliber.
Posted By: kiwi Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/14/08
2 of please 7mm-08, rotary mag, choice of synthetic or wood (1 of each would do) 1 to hunt with one to get a custom engraving job done on
just my 10 cents worth
Sorry I didn't get more info. I thought of more questions after we left.If they are doing their homework in the market they probably know they will have to appeal to younger shooters as well as us older guys. I would hope to see several options in the three grades if the production is to have a long future.I don't know anything about the mechanics of the accu-trigger. Would it be compatible with the 99 action? Maybe it will be the model 09 if it comes out next year. Might avoid confusion. I guess time will tell on all counts. Tom W
Posted By: DanLee Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/17/08
Nothing wrong with the tang safety except that you can't slip the trigger and close the bolt with the gun uncocked. And if you've got a copy of M.L McPherson's "Accurizing the Factory Rifle," you know it's just a matter of dremeling the trigger interlock ramp on the lever. Savage should do this on the new 99. I'd definitely buy one in .35-284 Savage.

DanLee
Posted By: federali Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/18/08
I too would want one in 7mm-08 flavor. They can save a few bucks and drop the cartridge counter but wood-to-metal fit must be rated as excellent. 20 inch tube, genuine walnut, drilled and tapped for glass.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: A visit with Ron Coburn - 09/21/08
i would like one have to see caliber options for that decision
As I said when this came up before. If they come out (especially in that price range) I am buying one for each of my daughters. My family has hunted with those for the past 3 generations. I would love to get them new ones, as opposed to having to scrounge around for second or third hand ones. Not that I mind used guns. Just I would prefer to get them new ones. I doubt I'll retire my 1946 .300 though. It might get a bit more of a break between hunts, but it is too comfortable and familiar to walk away from.

-Mb
© 24hourcampfire