Home
Posted By: Calhoun 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Well, this is interesting. A 99 R/T in 30-30 from 1945 with paperwork that originally was stamped T, then overstamped twice with EG. Jed, did you have one with the paperwork that was stamped like this?

It's obviously not an EG. But the T stamp is interesting.. wouldn't have expected that, I've always leaned towards the 99R explanation. The 20" barrel also argues for a T, though that's at the very end of life for 30-30's and it might simply be using up remaining barrels.

Too bad it doesn't have T sights, that would have pushed me fully into that camp.

On a side note, it also gives us SN 431,7xx as March, 1945. Best I had before this was serial number 429,6xx shipping in mid-1945. And I hate relying on ship dates.

Beautiful rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124567462

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Phil99 Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Calhoun--

Glad you've raised this topic again, as these rifles do keep popping up and it would be good to get a tally of the ones that people on the forum have, and to see how they all line up (or don't line up).

The one I've got is also a 30-30, but with a 22" barrel. Mine is a bit later, with serial # 4321XX. All four numbers match, and there is no model stamp on the front of the receiver.

At this point, I don't know if it's productive to get into a discussion about whether or not these models are really T's, R's, or "lunch-box specials" made up of end runs of old parts. I would just like to see us tally up these oddball rifles and see what we've got, and try to see if there's any rhyme or reason to them.

I look forward to seeing what folks come up with.

Rod

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Mine was like Phil's. 22" 30-30. Same era. No hang tag.
Parts/clean-up rifles.
Rory,
check out the size (LPI) difference in the forearm and stock,in the picture you last posted.
Posted By: Allan1886 Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
First of all, new to this forum. I have what I think is a 99T. Had no idea what it was when I bought it! It is .300 Sav. Has the shorter R type forend with the "express" rear sight. The red on the front is barely visible. Most of the paint has rubbed off. Ser. # is 3968xx. Mentioned earlier in this thread was a model number stamp on the receiver? Where would I look for this and what should it be?

Allan1886
If you take the forend off, there should be a "T" stamped on the front of the receiver.
Posted By: Allan1886 Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Thanks Phil! It has the "T" Stamp! Mine also has sling swivels. They look to be very professionally installed. They are non-detachable and have a round stem at the base that is fully inletted into the stock. The hole locations are about 2" back from the tip of the forearm and 2 1/2" from the toe of the stock. Original??? If I wanted to post a picture how do I do that?

ALLAN1886
Go to Photobucket dotcom. Sign up. It's free. Host your pictures there. Copy the links from there and bring them over here.
Mine had no swivels.
Posted By: saddlering Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
I had a R/ T/ EG in 300sav. 430000 ser.# it lives in N.H. Now! John
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Rod, we've seen quite a few of the go by. Majority are in 300 Savage, second seems to be 30-30's, and the occasional one in 303 Savage. Don't recall seeing any in 250 Savage.

Based on the number we've seen, there had to have quite a few made. Makes me lean away from the parts gun theory, Jed.
How can explain away that they all bastardized parts/pieces?
A 'story' I heard once was that these rifles were made up for farmers during the war years for varmint control/crop damage.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Dunno.. But I've seen a couple of dozen go by, which means that hundreds or more were probably made. Does it make sense that they had hundreds of uncheckered T forearms sitting around? Had to be uncheckered to put an EG/post-war R style checkering on.

I'm sure they did use up remaining 30-30 and 303 Savage barrels, there were very few sold after 1940.

But I'd call these an uncatalogued model (or uncatalogued version of an existing model such as 99T or 99R) as opposed to parts rifles.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
If a rifle has a configuration that isn't cataloged and there isn't any record of that configuration being part of a special "non-cataloged" order, like the Stoeger 99Rs in 30-30 with the Redfield #102s, what should it be called?

I had a 99T/EG rifle for which Roe Clark could not find any record of the SN and his letter said that it was probably a "lunch-pail special". IIRC, it had a 99EG receiver and stock with a 22" 99T barrel, chambered in 300 Savage, and a 99T forearm with a non-cataloged style of checkering.

When I was growing up in Hanover/Lebanon, NH, area, there were lots of "lunch-pail specials" from a number of firearms manufacturers with factories in the lower Connecticut River valley of MA and CT. The general consensus was that these guns were put together and sold at low costs to railroad workers who, in turn, brought them north and sold them. These rifles were fairly common, even in the 1970s, in the upper Connecticut River valley and I recall seeing more Winchester 94s then any other. I remember getting really excited by a 2-digit Winchester 1894, until the dealer told me what it was. That would have been at either Norm's Gun Shop in White River Junction, VT, or DeVaux's Gun Shop in Norwich, VT, back in the mid-1970s.

Jeff
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Still got a 303 "RT", 22" barrel, #43210X. JTC letters it as being shipped sometime in early '46.

And since It's been D/T, it my rainy day rifle. smile
Posted By: mad_dog Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
I thought you sold that rifle a couple months ago?
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
I am glad the I have my "REAL" 99T in .303, and do not have to worry about this post... grin grin grin

Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Amazing how the checkering goes right black when it's drowned in snake oil before a pic huh?
Very nice, Mike. Looks like it's even got the "real' T sights on it.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/12/09
Thanks Rod... Yes correct rear sight...

Joe... You have mentioned that before with this picture, and as I responded previously, "I think I like it better with the dark looking checkering"...!!! smile Kind of ads a bit of pizzaz...!!! smile

Mike...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/13/09
Originally Posted by rgr223cal

Joe... You have mentioned that before with this picture

Haha, you have a better memory than I do then. I notice that most of it dries off quick enough, like in a day, after I do mine but I only oil them once a year. I go through all the safes after deer season is finished and do every gun once.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/13/09
On another note Joe...

The parts worked perfect... Looks like I just might be hunting the 1895 this year...!!! smile

Mike...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: 99 R/T revisit.. - 03/13/09
I got a line on another old 1895 that has been cut. Hopefully I can buy it and use the wood off it to finish the 1895B that needs the buttstock. The one I stripped down for parts wasn't much good for anything but parts. It had no wood and the barrel was cut to 22". Was a 1895C before they put the hacksaw to it. Got quite the rack of 1895's now but two of them weren't much good for anything but parts. Take the good with the bad. Have another line on an 1895A.
© 24hourcampfire