Home
Picked up some information over the weekend, which I thought people here would be interested in. This might explain some of the weird receiver/barrel combinations that we see.

Below is a scan of the letter.

Don

[Linked Image]

Click on this for a slightly bigger picture:

Document link
Don, great find!
I thought it was!! figured all you computer savvy,info types could squirrel it away for future reference!! grin Don
Funny how some forty eight years later a simple factory document like that attains considerable value in the eyes of collectors. wink

Thanks for posting that, Loggah.
Looking at the prices ,i think the rotors that worked with a specific caliber were the $50. conversions, i think the $55. ones had to have the rotors changed out. this should answer some questions on some of those weird combos. Don
I've got the same document only on mine the cost is $60 and it's got a whole lotta hand writing on it by someone at the factory explaining that all T/D models will be converted to solid frames when they get new barrels but it's scratchy writing, hard to make out. Something scribbled on the bottom as well about Redfield and Weaver side mounts yadayadayada.
Thanks For sharing Don!, see the part at the bottom about the 22HP as ammo is not being made!
John
Joe, Was your letter sent to Canada??? could have been because of the exchange rate back then. Don
Thanks for posting Don. I find it interesting and somewhat surprising that the factory would change over 22 HP, 303's, 38-55's, 25-35 and 32-40 to the higher pressure 250-3000 and 300 SAVAGEs even to the early date of 90K S/Ns. I guess that speaks to the steel quality of even early rifles.
Originally Posted by Loggah
Joe, Was your letter sent to Canada??? could have been because of the exchange rate back then. Don

Nope, came right out of the factory. Got it from a buddy that used to work in the factory in the 80's. Actually he gave me a binder full of stuff that I haven't even sat down and tried to figure out yet. Factory documents on serial number locations, Western stores and Gamble Skogmo stock numbers (which is really wierd cause they list no model R just the EG, dated 1953), Stevens house brand lists, bunch of sheets with code numbers, etc, etc......
I have a 99-F (32x,xxx) that letters as a 22HP but is now a 30-30. The barrel has a Chicopee address and an "SAP" in an oval on the left side of the receiver. The work had to be done at Savage sometime in the 50's.(dropped a sentance when first posted)

Also, a .22HP barrel, 24" with the Chicopee address that has not been fitting to a rifle. That is why it is important to check the barrel adderss on those high dollar .22HP rifles made in the 30's-40's.
I remember turning down an early 38-39 99F with the checkering in 22 H.P. cause I didn't really like the round. If I knew back then what I do now......
they are collectible, no doubt, but, less than 90% is no good.
of course that applies to just about everything.
Lauren, Look in the blue book and see what a 1886 winchester lightweight deluxe in 80% condition books for!!! grin grin Don
an 86 deluxe anything is pretty hot , and don't look to me like you bought your stuff by looking at that book, maybe when you sell...lol
Great info Don - thanks!!

My Dad enquired about getting Granddad's .303 repaired and got an offer to have it replaced as well. It was SN 15.490. My folks usually kept every piece of correspondence they received but I never found the Savage letter.

Fortunatley, all the gun needed was the lever bite adjustment which I was able to do after 'Jack' provided the instructions way back wnen.
that could well explain my question to calhoun about barrel address difference's of 1 or2 styles or more of course makes one rethink a little bit eh what ..norm grin grin
thanks for posting... I find it interesting they would rechamber to 22HP but not the old winchester calibers despite the fact that it was also obsolete... guess you got to stick with the factory calibers no matter what...
Originally Posted by Loggah
Looking at the prices ,i think the rotors that worked with a specific caliber were the $50. conversions, i think the $55. ones had to have the rotors changed out. this should answer some questions on some of those weird combos. Don

The only thing that works against this theory is that they would convert from 250 or 300 to 303 or 30-30 for $50 but if you wanted to do the reverse it was $55... either way you would assume they had to change a rotor...
A cool piece Loggah, generous of you to share. Thanks.
Surprised nobody mentioned that $50 in 1961 is equivalent to $356.62 per the CPI calculator. Thats a stick chunk of change.
© 24hourcampfire