[Linked Image]
Posted By: like2shoot Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Very nice.
Posted By: levrluvr99 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
thanks, although Im a vey poor photographer
Posted By: JeffG Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
That look great! What caliber?
.308 is the caliber, and it joys my heart to say that it was completely hand made by myself using only hand powered tools. Check that, I did use a chainsaw to saw the blank from the log.
Posted By: ringworm Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
and people thought i was nuts spending $1200 to customize a 336.
Posted By: like2shoot Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Here is levrluvr99's post about his rifle. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._custom_99_date_of_manufactu#Post3566640
Posted By: 99guy Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Savage 99...Wow.

336...Wow.
the nice thing about this was I really wasn't out much money in making this. My dad has a bunch of walnut logs, aged about 15 years, free for the taking. I did buy the grip cap and the butt plate, good set of buck bros. chisels, emory cloth,bottle of tru-oil, and some oil hardening tool steel to make checkering tools from, otherwise it's mostly my time it cost me.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
what did you start with? Looks to be a post mil E with the tang safety?

Its really a beautiful gun...very nicely done!!

Any chance your father wants to sell any of that old junk wood???? smile

All joking aside I would be interested in buying a blank from you if you have more...PM me

it is in fact an e-model, with lever safety. the figuring in the wood comes from the crotch at the top of the log. I'm looking into getting more wood from a friend who has logged a big tract of walnut, but unfortunately it takes years for that stuff to be slabbed and properly dried
Posted By: diamondjim Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Welcome and what a beautiful looking 99. Very nice and thanks for the pic. Jim
Posted By: Joe Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Mercy, that's a fine looking piece of wood on that rifle. A facelift for an E.....priceless!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
That is some great craftsmanship. I love how the point from the pads rolls into the checkering. And the figure on that wood is to kill for... It'd look even better on my 99DL in 284. grin

Good job, especially having done it yourself!
thanks, I'm glad to have something to share with fellow enthusiasts. I've fallen in love with this gun all over again. I didn't carry it last season, cause I was fitting the inlet cuts to the receiver, but I finished it in time to carry it this season, and I'm sure glad I did. My old savage 110 is so cumbersome in the woods compared to my 99
Posted By: ring3 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Very nice. Especially like the pattern you left in the checking.
believe it or not, the checkering looks so much better in person.the flash of the camera is very unflattering for it. I'm gonna try to get some better pics to post
Posted By: norm99 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
thats beautiful workmanship .i like the stock cheek design .congrats nicely done. grin cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
added pics showing underbelly of forearm, and cheek piece. White stuff in checkering of forearm is stock wax that I put on before taking pics. guess I'll have to use my wife's toothbrush to brush it out.
Posted By: slideaction Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Just beautiful! What wonderful (and I imagine slow & time consuming)work you put into this rifle. Love the wood work!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
levrluvr99
Very Nice,And Very Nice work.Well Done! I can appreciate and understand the time spent in doing one.Show's a lot of pride and joy! So what's your next project? grin
Steve
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Very nice. It shows what can be done with minimum tools, patience, and the will to make it happen!
Thanks for all the positive comments, they are truly appreciated!As for my next project, I'm kinda in limbo right now. maybe another 99? or maybe a 141 remington? also had thoughts of converting a 336 marlin .35 rem., to a .358 win. Ahh,decisions, decisions.
Posted By: TR405 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Forget got milk your slogan is Got talent beautiful job!!!!
Posted By: oldotter Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
Complements to the chef. Definate step up from E factory wood. You did her proud. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
It shoots pretty well, though I don't know if it had anything to do with the stock replacement. I spent a little bit of time on slicking up the trigger, and geez-o-flip, what a world of difference that made. Folks who hunt with the 99 should give a trigger job a serious consideration.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/14/09
I don't mean to be a wise arse, but is that thing as heavy as it looks???? That front piece of wood looks pretty bulky.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
Originally Posted by levrluvr99
It shoots pretty well, though I don't know if it had anything to do with the stock replacement. I spent a little bit of time on slicking up the trigger, and geez-o-flip, what a world of difference that made. Folks who hunt with the 99 should give a trigger job a serious consideration.

Plus 1 on that!
I Have adjust 6 so far in the last 2 Months and all break clean with a 3 1/2 to 4 Lb pull,,not all that hard.But the biggest thing i worked on was the trigger creep.Hated that travel before engaging.

Again levrluvr99 nice work-man ship,looks well balanced.
Steve
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
Forgive him Lord for he is still suffering from CRI !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: levrluvr99 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
It IS a little heavier than the factory original, but within reason. The wood is denser, and it has a cheekpiece, so I left a little extra meat on the forearm so I could go back and final finish after the buttstock was complete. I wound up liking the forearm a little bigger than normal, and it balanced beautifully, so it worked out nice.

-1899sav -when you say you adjusted the creep, did you cut down the height of the sear?
Posted By: 1899sav Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
I'll P.M. My Reply on the trigger work
sounds good
Posted By: norm99 Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
you want to PM me as well gun smith up here said leave it alone ..wwwway to much pull on most of mine.thanks..norm grin
Posted By: johnsavage Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Originally Posted by levrluvr99

Plus 1 on that!
I Have adjust 6 so far in the last 2 Months and all break clean with a 3 1/2 to 4 Lb pull,,not all that hard.But the biggest thing i worked on was the trigger creep.Hated that travel before engaging.

Again levrluvr99 nice work-man ship,looks well balanced.
Steve

Hey guys, if my failing memory serves, a recent thread suggested that trigger creep could be corrected on the 99, but pull was less likely to be accomplished. I have a previously unfired 99A Saddle gun. After about 60 rounds so far the trigger pull seems to be easing up, but it is still hard. How does one adjust pull weight? Should I mess with it yet anyway?
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/15/09
There are no adjustments per se, only polishing and shaping the sear surfaces. Not a task for the novice.
I'll 2nd lightfoot's comment. there are ways to manipulate both, but require being careful.
Posted By: federali Re: my custom 99 pics - 12/16/09
You did a beautiful job on this rifle. I do hope it proves to be productive in the woods. Also, your photos are very competent.
© 24hourcampfire