Home
New to the forum here. I've always liked Savage 99s, but only ever owned one, a later model one (tang safety) in .250. This weekend, I was fortunate enough to get a good deal on an older one in .300 Savage.

The serial number is 582,xxx. It has a checkered pistol grip stock, a steel butt plate and a long barrel, I haven't measured it, but guess at least 24". It is not drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Our range wasn't open this weekend, but I have dies, brass, bullets, etc., and will put together some ammo for it before next weekend so any words of wisdom on loads (probably 150 grain bullet loads), I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Rich
Welcome to the campfire. It sounds like an EG from your description. Does it have a snabel for-end?
Thank you for the welcome. Yes, it has the schnabel forend, but otherwise is a fairly plain rifle, decent walnut stock with a little checkering on the pistol grip and forend. All it says for model is "Savage Model 1899" on the top front of the receiver just ahead of the ejection port, no letter designation such as EG or anything.
Welcome to the Forum, Rich...

Your 99 sounds like an EG made in late 1950. Its Lever Boss Code ("LBC") should be the inspector's number followed by the letter "B". Here's what my records show... the LBCs are shown in brackets behind the rifle's serial number:
B= 1950: 531909(15B), 5502xx(24B), 555436(?B), 561xxx(24B), 575495(21B), 572777(15B), 58021X(15B), 584xxx(15B)

The Lever Boss Code is a more accurate (but nothing is "for sure" with Model 99s) way to determine the year of manufacture. The Code is inside an oval which is located on the lower, front side of the lever boss in the rear of which is that part into which the lever fits and rotates.

You may need a magnifying glass to read the LBC because it and the oval in which it was stamped are both often stamped VERY lightly.

You've got one of the best quality, most desireable Model 99s... enjoy it. My 1953 EG in .300 Savage is literally a duplicate of your rifle.

My favorite hunting load is 40.8 grains of H4895 (max load is 40.9 grains) behind a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet sparked by a standard Winchester large rifle primer in "accurized" once-fired Winchester cases trimmed to minimum length with the round loaded to maximum overall length.

This load gives a very consistent 2635 fps with a velocity variation of just 3 fps (+1 fps/-2 fps) and regularly shoots 3-shot, 3/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. The H4895 is a Hodgdon "Extreme" powder meaning it isn't effected by temperature changes... a desireable trait in a hunting load that may be exposed to wide variations in air temperature.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I can't find any mark like what you're describing. On the left side of the barrel, right next to where ".300 Savage" is stamped is a small oval with the letters "SP" in it, does that mean anything? On the top of the barrel it says "Savage Arms Corporation Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A." On the right side, it says "High Pressure Steel-Proof Tested".

I have wanted a 99 for a hunter a long time and have been kicking myself for not buying every one I found at reasonable prices a few years ago before they climbed in value. In fact, this is the first one I had seen for sale for much less than $600. I got this one for $350 and while it's not pristine, it looks all original and is complete and in good order with just honest wear on it. For a hunting rifle, I would probably have preferred a .308, but .300 will do just fine. I'm not going to scope it as that would require drilling holes in it, but I might put a good peep sight on it sometime.

Thanks for the loading info. I was going to try 39 or 40 grains of IMR4320 and some 150 grain Hornady SPire Points I have around. I do have some H4895, maybe I'll give that a try instead.
For $350 you got a good bargain. The SP means Savage Proof, the LBC is on the bottom of the receiver by the serial number, on the forward facing slope of the lever. It should end with a B, but it's very close to 1951 so don't rule it out.

And I agree, find yourself a nice peep sight and take that out hunting. You'll be amazed at how well the old 300 Savage works.

Welcome to the forum!
There's no letter next to the serial number. I don't suppose it really matters when it was made, just curious. I have high hopes that this will be a good shooter. The bore looks good. I'll probably just shoot it with the open sights a while first then decide on what kind of peep to install. I shoot much better with a peep sight, but this has long enough sight radius and good open sights so I may be able to do alright with it.

I'm gonna have to pull the .250 one out of the safe and shoot it more. The trigger pull on it is much worse than this one if I remember right. It has the tang safety on it, so not nearly as old. It sure is pretty, though, I'll probably not ever hunt with that one.
Been needing a good picture of where the LBC stamp is, so just took one. Sometimes it was struck very faintly and can't be read though. This is a 17I, meaning it's a 1957 rifle.

[Linked Image]
We really should have a sticky on how to find the LBC with a pic like Rory posted.... Rick, could you add Rory pic to the "good info post"?

Nope.. keep the pic handy, but don't post it in Misc Good Info. If we post it, folks won't come in and ask. The more folks that ask, the more data we get.
I did not say... tell them how to understand it... just tell them how to find it laugh
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Nope.. keep the pic handy, but don't post it in Misc Good Info. If we post it, folks won't come in and ask. The more folks that ask, the more data we get.

agreed.it is always good to get that info,specially when special order ones show up. grin grin
Thanks for that picture, there is no mark there on my rifle. The more I look at this one, the more I think it may have been reblued at some point. Some of the stamped lettering looks like it may have been buffed down a little, maybe that stamp got lost in the shuffle. I wanted a shooter/hunter anyway, so I don't care.

I wish I could get to a range before next weekend, I'm itching to shoot it.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... no LBC?

This lack of a Lever Boss Code makes me wonder if this rifle was made in late 1948 just before they began using the Lever Boss Codes on Model 99s in 1949? There's other examples of a given serial numbered Model 99 being made a year or two before or after its serial number indicates.

According to my records, that rifle was made very late in 1950... my records even show some serial numbers very close to that rifle's serial number that have a LBC of "C" (meaning it was manufactured in 1951).

Very odd... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
I thought the year before LBCs they stamped the lever boss with a "*"
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Plus one on that!
I think your correct Ron in that it's a late 1950. Perhaps the poster isn't looking at the face of the lever bar? Even worn down ones still show some stamping remaining.

If you have the butt stock off chances are high that the date code will be stamped on the frame as well and should be clear to read.

Harry M.
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I thought the year before LBCs they stamped the lever boss with a "*"

Savage began using the LBC in 1949... and began the year's designation with the letter "A" indicating "1949". And so, if Inspector #12 inspected a rifle made in 1949, the LBC would look like this inside the oval... (12A).

In 1950, they used a "B" as the year's designation and so on and so on. They skipped using the "O" and the "Q" since they looked so much alike... and they stopped using the LBCs in 1979 ending with the letter "Y".

However, in 1948, there was no LBC designation to the best of my knowledge. However, if they did use the "*", I'm not aware of it, but you may be correct... I dunno. However, I'm sure one of the true "experts" on the Forum may be able to tell us. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
A missing one isn't so impossible.. according to JTC, the LBC was the last thing struck, so it might have just been missed. One of the infamous Monday Morning Hangover Specials. grin

Be interesting to hear if it's maybe on the receiver.

I'd still call it a 1950, with or without the LBC.

LBC on the receiver - left side of receiver on bottom under the stock:

[Linked Image]
Gents, I am sorry, upon much closer examination (it is stamped very lightly) it is there: 24B, so I guess it was made in late 1950 after all.

Thanks very much, I learned a lot from this thread and will know better as I continue to add to the number of 99s in my inventory someday.
Got out to the range with the old girl and everything worked, just didn't group real well (yet). The load was 38 grains of IMR3031 and a Remington 150 grain Corelokt. It was real raw and cold and the overcast sky wasn't real conducive to me shooting open sights. Still, I think I'm on my way and she'll be a good one soon as I put in a little time.
© 24hourcampfire