Home
A friend has asked me to look at a newly-acquired Savage carbine 1895, with nickel plated receiver and barrel. Was nickel plating an option on these carbines? It's in .303.
Yes. We'd love to see pictures!
Nope, the barrels were never an option, just the receiver and buttplate.

I'm doubtful it's legit, whats the serial number?
there was an 1895 that sold at a little bitty auction in MT yesterday... i called several times to try and get details and see about an absentee bid but no answer and no returned phone call... any one here get it?
I'll have it in hand tomorrow afternoon. I'll post s/n then, and have a more detailed description.
Thanks for the replies so far.
S/n 31573.
I have pics, but don't know how to post them.
BTW--It's a model 1899, not 1895. The barrel is 22", and has a blunt muzzle. Original stock and handguard, both with issues.
Chromed (or nickel) parts are basically everything but the inside of the receiver. There are a lot of inconsistencies with this rifle, and I'd like to point them out, with questions, if someone can help me post the pics.
Thanks.
Upload your images to an online media host. I use imageshack.com. You'll have to create an account but it's free. Once you've uploaded the images to your account, each image will be assigned a url link to your image. Post your images by creating a "new reply"(top left of this page). There you'll see an image icon that allows you to attach the link to the image; 24hourcampfire will retrieve the image to post it into your message. Sounds complicated but it's actually quite simple. Hope this helps.
or email them to me at ggroshel at msn dot com
Thanks, Groucho! I appreciate your help. Email sent.
There is a smorgasbord of "problems" with this rifle, and I think it would require $600 to make it into a $600 rifle. Front sight (backwards? canted?),rear sight elevator wrong, agressive sanding of forestock, wrong screw at lever hinge, Cracked butt stock at tang, and virtually everything is nickel plated or chromed. Also, the muzzle is flat, indicating to me that it's been shortened.
Opinions welcomed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Im sorry Mr. Toadrancher

On the other hand, If it still shoots straight go kill something with it. Grouse still die when I shoot them with my chrome(I didnt do it and it was a gift)Fox 16 double!!
Definitely not original, though not a bad job on the plating. The saddest part is the stock being so heavily sanded.

Also.. if serial number is 31.xxx, then it's bubba'd even more with the takedown forearm. There's no way a rifle that early was a takedown.

Take it out, shoot it, have fun. It's definitely a talking piece.
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Im sorry Mr. Toadrancher

NOT SO QUICK GARY THAT IS THE LOWEST SER NO TAKE DOWN that has showen up the earlest being47783----that one being 31573,,probably puts it in 1902,,let me check my other thread

laugh laugh
Should have been accepted from the factory mid to late March, 1902.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Should have been accepted from the factory mid to late March, 1902.

thanks Rory ,was hoping you would jump in ..

Toadrancher, strip it toss it in a tank to dechrom it home blue or brown, grin

sure like to know story on that fore stock
toad rancher ,looking back at pics ,IS THAT A COCKING INDICATOR on top of tang????????????????????????????????????

also is the rear[back] of bolt square or rounded?????????
norm
Definitely a cocking indicator on top of receiver.
The rear of the bolt is rounded a bit.

I've never stripped a finish before (well, with the exception of wood), and not as confident as I'd like to be.

The takedown forestock is numbered to the gun, and the butt stock is also. A shame to lose them, but I've been offered new wood, fore and aft, for ~$150 (don't know if the correct takedown forestock is what was quoted). If I can salvage the metal, and add new wood, then it would look quite respectable. Although most of the collectability would be certainly lost. I would be more enthusiastic if it was in .30-30 or .308, but Savage .303 is so obscure!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. My learning curve is moving on up!
toadrancher, Everything on that rifle indicates a later ,post 90,000 serial number. takedown,rounded bolt back,cocking indicator, check the s/n again on the forearm and buttstock and see if theres a 1 stamped in front of your number. Don
OMG---These old eyes were deceived by a flek of rust on the finish, and I saw 3 where there was a 9. 91series s/n. I guess I developed a scatoma (sic) and "saw" the same s/n on the wood. My apologies, guys. The s/n's on the wood does match the receiver, with 91.....

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope this newcomer hasn't soiled the morning coffee.

Any suggestions as to what value the gun has, whether or not it's worth stripping, bluing, new wood, etc., are most welcome.
Clean Her Up and Leave her alone,Take her out for a Date from time to time and enjoy her.
Value? Well what ever it's worth to you.
If Rifle was Mostly original Finish then she's be worth 500 or more pending condition of course.
Nice rifle,Enjoy it and shoot it.
Steve
Parade rifle anyone? Maybe we could all get one plated and march in a parade (Fest field trip?), twirling and drilling with them. Could be fun. Or not.
Well it is different for sure, one to hang on the wall, you could hunt with it ,but i expect you would get laughed out of the woods!! grin grin Don
Toadrancher, I asked the same question about reduing my chromed shotgun. I was told that it is likly that work was done to parts pre plating so that they would fit after the plating was applied. That means if I stripped it it is likly that things wouldnt fit quite as tight as they should.

Buy some ammo and see how it shoots.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Sort of a heart-breaker.....Like seeing a customized .57 BelAir 2-door. I much prefer the standard equipment.

You guys are a great source of information, and you've likely saved me a significant investment in futility.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by toadrancher
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Sort of a heart-breaker.....Like seeing a customized .57 BelAir 2-door. I much prefer the standard equipment.

You guys are a great source of information, and you've likely saved me a significant investment in futility.

Thanks.

WELL WE CAN SCRATCH THAT ONE FROM REAL EARLY but still 91000 is still before main run and may have been a custom order?????? frown grindon't through wood away.
That is actually a really fun type of gun. You won't be worrying about skinning up the finish, so you'll likely shoot and enjoy it more than you would an original, pristine example.
I wonder if glass bead blasting, or some sort of industrial liquid blast would turn the gloss to a matte grey without actually removing the plating?

Perhaps it would be feasible to strip the plating (reverse electrolysis) and replace it with an electroless nickel plating job which will end up being a very pleasant dull grey. Shucks, the plating is already peeling on the receiver anyway.

With some clever wood grafting the stock can be brought around to presentable (not collectible) condition.

At least turn the front sight around!
Originally Posted by norm99
WELL WE CAN SCRATCH THAT ONE FROM REAL EARLY but still 91000 is still before main run and may have been a custom order?????? frown grindon't through wood away.

Nope, main run of takedowns started in the mid-70,000 SN range. Murray's is off on this point.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by norm99

Nope, main run of takedowns started in the mid-70,000 SN range. Murray's is off on this point.

grinyou like bursting my bubble don't you grinthats OKyou have a lot more knowledge than i..
if I keep goofing up you'll eventually tell me everthing coolpart of my problem is I take to much of the book as correct -----but you'll keep me straight laugh
Murray's bar none is the best available guide for savage lever actions. There are areas that we have found that require correction, but that being said on 3 tries he probably has it at 90+%. RIP Doug!

Blair
It is interesting that while original nickel trim was available on Savage rifles as a special order feature, it seems to be rarely ordered. I have special order nickel plated Winchesters and even nickel plated Colt Lightning carbines here, but never owned Savage with original nickel plate. In fact, I don't recall passing many up either.
"I have special order nickel plated Winchesters and even nickel plated Colt Lightning carbines here"

WOW!!!! :oI'd sure like to see pics of those! Especially the Colt.
Ok, but you pushed me into going off-topic. Here is a pair of Lightning SRC's. One is a .38/40 and one is a .44/40. One is also a "baby carbine" and the other a standard carbine:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing.
I had a C engraved 1/2 octgon 38-55 w/nickel trimmings and fancy wood...38xxx....I'm looking for pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Scanner is giving me fits...so I took pictures of pictures.
HEY i like your parts gun laugh cool

lot of work to do that
maybe soda blasting would make it satin?
Jed - that .38/55 is a collection in itself. I look at a gun like that and think if I had that in my Savage collection, what would be the point of having another?
Steve,I got to agree on that one!!! ol jeds had some fine iron,of course they built him a nice home to! grin grin Don
If I decide to "shoot and enjoy" this 1899, where can I find 10 or 12 rounds of Savage .303? Don't really want to stock up, but willing to give her a fair try.
Checked Gunbroker......Is this stuff really $50 a box, plus S&H?
Or more!!!!!
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
I had a C engraved 1/2 octgon 38-55 w/nickel trimmings and fancy wood...38xxx....I'm looking for pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Scanner is giving me fits...so I took pictures of pictures.

The one on the bottom has suffered from a severe case of "bubba".
© 24hourcampfire