Home
Posted By: lefty 53 Savage 99 safety problem - 08/13/10
I have a Savage 99F, 1964 production cal. .308, the tang safety does not work properly. It goes back to engage but stops 1/8 to 3/16 short of fully back. Trigger will fire, the lever is not locked. I took off the stock ,everything looked normal, I found if the trigger were pushed forward the safety would then go all the way back. It is as if the rear of the trigger interferes with the safety slide moving rearward. I then carefully push forward on the trigger very slowly until the rear of the trigger moves down and allows the safety slide to pass and the safety button goes all the way back exposing the S.The safety is then engaged with the trigger and lever fully locked. It looks as if I could file away the bottom of the little extension on the safety slide and the problem is solved. I need help, would prefer not to screw up. Also cannot find directions how to remove the safety slide. Any advice would be welcome. I love these 99s, also have a 99F ,1957, .358 and a 99A, 1975, .250/3000
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Savage 99 safety problem - 08/13/10
Trigger return spring? Little coiled and bent sucker that wraps round the trigger where it rides its' pin.
Posted By: 99tguy Re: Savage 99 safety problem - 08/13/10
not up on the tang saftey but u will get the help hear. i like 2 have that 99f 1957 in 358. 99s ar addicting .
Posted By: RAS Re: Savage 99 safety problem - 08/14/10
These guys know a lot about 99s and if my rifle had a problem with a safety, I would send it there. I am not an expert and a rifle safety is NOT the place to pretend to be one.

http://www.gostomskisgunsmithing.com/
Posted By: lefty 53 Re: Savage 99 safety problem - 08/23/10
I took the afternoon to dissassemble and clean the insides of this rifle. I compared them to my 99A .250 and everything was in correct place except the safety slide down extension portion which stopped the safety slide from passing the trigger, so I removed about .25mm to .50mm metal from the bottom of the extension, testing as I removed a little at a time until the slide passed the trigger to place the trigger and lever in lock, with the safety button in the correct all the way back spot. Problem is now solved and I have a great hunting rifle ready for the woods.
Good to hear that you are back in business.
© 24hourcampfire