Home
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking about going away from a scope on my 99 Savage and the rear sight wasn't on this rifle when I bought it. If I wanted to replace the rear sight with a nice hunting style sight what would you guys in the "know" recommend?
Redfield LH70 or 80 or Lyman 56 or 57

Looks like a nice R you have there.
Im surprised this one has run for so long with no one buying it.
gunbroker
seems cheaper than ebay prices.
I've seen that one too. I just don't need one right now or I'd already have it. That is a reasonable price for that sight.
Got a nice Lyman 57SA off my 52 EG. Sent you a PM.
I "settled" on an older Williams FP sight. I did add the target knobs though.
[Linked Image]
Is that high blade on D2D's rifle OEM? Looks to be higher than a factory unit. Maybe he's all ready for a quality tang or receiver sight.

Also, an esteemed member here (Lightfoot) may have an original rear sight for that rifle.

mpMax: Did you have to put a higher bead/blade on your rifle to match up with that Williams?
Originally Posted by mpmax
[Linked Image]

Ughh! sick

Looks like they had to file a grove in the stock of the gun to make the sight fit. cry That is the problem with those Williams sights. I've seen a lot of 99's with Williams sights on them that look just like that.

Why did they make a sight that wouldn't fit the stock of the gun they were making it for? I could never figure that one out.
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by mpmax
[Linked Image]

Ughh! sick

Looks like they had to file a grove in the stock of the gun to make the sight fit. cry That is the problem with those Williams sights. I've seen a lot of 99's with Williams sights on them that look just like that.

Not a big loss to have the stock "grooved" for the sight, somebody had already cut the butt for a recoil pad. And yes it needed a taller front sight.
I purchased a Lyman 1A from a member here, and couldn't be happier with it.
Some may disgree, but I think the tang sights like the 1A go better with the pre-war models and the receiver sights better with the post war models.

And mpmax...no big loss on the stock if somebody had already cut it for a pad. wink
Decided to go back with the Leupold 4x scope I had on it... I reviewed the options you all recommended then looked at what I had already... Just decided to go back with what worked previously and not spend any additional money.

[Linked Image]
An M8 Leupold is sure hard to beat at any price.
I hope this 1953 99-EG will do - no stock alterations, just a higher front sight blade.

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire