Home
Posted By: JamPar Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
I've got 3 Savage Model 99 rifles.

One of them is a takedown model I think. It has a sliding tab on the bottom of the fore stock, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I slide it.

I've been searching for information about how the takedown feature works. I couldn't find any answers on the previous posts on your forum regarding this.

I found one old reference that said you are supposed to remove the butt plate and screw that holds the butt stock. It said that the barrel/receiver joint wasn't strong enough to allow a barrel removal takedown.

Could someone explain how to operate the takedown system on this model?

Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
JamPar. First off, welcome.

Not knowing what your experience is or if you have any mechanical inclinations, I will try to help. The slide mechanism slides to the rear only slightly. When you do this, you also apply slight downward pressure to the wood so as to move it away from the barrel. These are most definately NOT Swiss watches. If you are patient and NOT forceful the forend should seperate. I answered your question as completely as I could. Someone else may be able to better explain. There is more to the take down process than what you asked. If you get the forend off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GO NO FURTHER until you ask another question or 2. Good luck.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
STOP Please open the Leaver 1st! then as LBK says!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Open lever, slide latch, remove forend, unscrew barrel. It will either have interrupted threads, in which case it will only need a quarter turn to remove or full threads, in which case it will take several revolutions to remove.
He ONLY asked how to get the forend off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT how to take it completely down. I told HIM to stop once the forend is off and ask more questions. I hope he lets us know if he got the forend off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IN ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Dont use the forend to unscrew the barrel, like some say to!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Originally Posted by saddlering

yeah a pipe wrench works much better... really gets a good grip!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Drew, STOP THAT!! Don't be naughty right before Christmas..

If the barrel doesn't come loose by hand, then double check that the lever is open and try again. If it's still stuck.. might consider just leaving it.
GEEZUS KRIST he's NOT asking how to get the barrel off,,,,,,,,,,,,all he's asking is how to get the forend off. Take it one step at a time.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Yeah but one thing leads to another....
To remove the buttstock, take the buttplate off and then you need a very long screwdriver to reach the stock bolt.

(Just wondering how long it'll take to get LBK's head to explode grin)
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Reminds of that old shaving cream commercial. "Take it off. Take it all off."
Originally Posted by Calhoun
To remove the buttstock, take the buttplate off and then you need a very long screwdriver to reach the stock bolt.

(Just wondering how long it'll take to get LBK's head to explode grin)

LBK'S Head ain't about to explode, but all you guys that worry about a 99 getting [bleep] up may be leading this new member right down that path. There's a lesson here. One step at a time!!!!!!!!!!!! smile smile smile

Everyone here forgetting their manners???????????? Only 1 post,,,,,,,,,,,remember when YOU only had 1 post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome the guy here FIRST. And ya wonder why Maddog is the way he is!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, good point there LBK. I think too many of us have cabin fever..

Jampar, welcome to the forum! Some of those old takedowns are very stiff because they never had the forearms removed, and that can be a good thing. Better that it's too hard to remove rather than falling off too easily.

If you'd like, tell us the serial number range (x out the last 2 digits), whether it's a pistol grip or straight stock, and what the barrel length is and we can probably tell you the year and model.
Posted By: JamPar Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Thanks for all the good advice and instructions.
The fore stock came off easily, however the barrel won't seems to be very tight. I think that I'll just leave it alone. I don't need to take it apart right now. I was just curious about how easy it was to take down.

It has a round 25-1/2" barrel with a straight stock.
The serial no. is 1191XX.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by saddlering

yeah a pipe wrench works much better... really gets a good grip!

Drew: You forgot to include heating the breech up before you put the wrench on in your instructions crazy laugh
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/19/10
Did you open the action before trying to unscrew the barrel?
Posted By: Rangr44 Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
FWIW - There's been many a Savage 99 takedown's buttstock broken, due to somone using it as a handle during barrel revoval.

First, ensure some noob hasn't installed scope mount screws in the front receiver ring, as they can be bored into the barrel threads, locking things together.

If the barrel thread area looks otherwise clear, grasp the receiver ILO the buttstock (gently in a well-padded vise is OK), after getting some penetrating oil into the barrel threads (clean up afterward.

Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
Originally Posted by JamPar
however the barrel won't seems to be very tight. I think that I'll just leave it alone.

Smart, smart man we have here. Welcome!
If the barrel is tight and there's no real reason to take it off, you've come to the perfect conclusion, leave it alone. The more you screw them off and on, the more loose they become.
Posted By: ctw Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
From the stats it sounds like an 1899A takedown.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
Well if someone asked you how to put a condom on I'd assume they planned on [bleep].
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Well if someone asked you how to put a condom on I'd assume they planned on [bleep].

smirk Not necessarlly. When I was a kid, used to practice putting them on. Wanted to be pre-educated, just in case the opportunity ever came along. Unforunately by the time it did come along I had reached professional status. frown GW

Posted By: norm99 Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
Originally Posted by JamPar
Thanks for all the good advice and instructions.
The fore stock came off easily, however the barrel won't seems to be very tight. I think that I'll just leave it alone. I don't need to take it apart right now. I was just curious about how easy it was to take down.

It has a round 25-1/2" barrel with a straight stock.
The serial no. is 1191XX.

welcome to the forum, pretty good bunch od guys here BUT SOME DAYS THEY LIKE TO PLAY ,
sounds like a nice rifle ,if you can post some pics let us have a look smile
Posted By: Plab Re: Savage 99 Takedown - 12/20/10
pictures, pictures we all like to look at 99's

© 24hourcampfire