Home
Posted By: Cottage_Hill_Bill Stith mount question - 02/14/11
I've got a 1922 1899 Featherweight in 300 Savage. With a tang sight mounted the rifle holds consistent 1" 100 yard groups. I recently installed a Stith mount with a Weaver K4. With the scope the first shot is where I want it but subsequent shots start moving up and to the right. By the third or fourth shot it has moved 6-8 inches off center. My suspicion is that with the lightweight barrel the barrel is heating up and moving the front scope mount. This is my first experience with the Stith mount though and I'd like some opinions from others who have some experience with this set up. The problem occurs even if I wait 5-10 minutes between shots. Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Posted By: TomA Re: Stith mount question - 02/14/11
I don't think the Weaver K4's were meant to be mounted with a Stith. I suspect the front of the scope does not fit snug into the Stith tube. If possible show us a picture of your set up. Tom.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Stith mount question - 02/14/11
A Stith that is meant for a 99 will not work on an 1899. The front tube for an 1899 is considerably longer than the tube for the one meant for a 99.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stith mount question - 02/14/11
It sounds like a 99 to me. Also there is a type of stith made for the K4. Did you tighten the set screw? Pictures would help...I have shot several and barrel heating is not an issue.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Stith mount question - 02/14/11
I missed the "1922".
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Stith mount question - 02/14/11
Weaver K4s and KVs fit the same Stith mounts and were widely available for Savage and Winchester. The tricky part is that Weaver changed the size of the objective bell twice as it evolved. Stith made 2 different front tubes to match the changes. The final change was with the Weaver 60 series and Stith never did make one to fit it.

Is the point of impact for the first cold-barrel shot consistent from day to day?

Could be a defective scope too?

And yes, the Stith was not made for the 1899 due to the rear sight placement. You can put it on the 1899 but it will fit poorly and shoot to match.
© 24hourcampfire