Home
Looking for some information and maybe suggestions from "the pros". Cleaning out the attic I came across my forgotten guns. 30 something years ago when I was in my early 20's I decided to try deer hunting with my father in law. When considering a gun purchase my mother mentioned that my uncle had a gun that belonged to my father(who had passed away a couple years previous). Apparently my father had inherited it from his father who also had died very young. My father was never a hunter but my uncle was so he lent it to my uncle. My uncle no longer hunted and he gladly gave me the gun back. It was a lever action Savage Model 99. When I took possession of the gun I cleaned it and took it to a gunsmith and had the rear sight replaced with a "peep sight"??.

I used it to hunt for a couple years but found hunting was just not for me.It proceeded to hang on my wall in a gun rack for 20 years or so with a couple other guns I seldom used. Then it was moved to the attic in a renovation.

My limited research has shown it to be a 1930 manufactured takedown model in 30-30 caliber. (Serial # 325XXX) I maintained the gun meticulously when I was using it as had my uncle. The wood is in very nice condition. The external metal is lightly pitted (my bad, I know but divorce and all that "life" crap sometimes throws you for a loop).

Now I am cleaning house and somewhat torn about what to do with the gun. I am looking to tie down the history of the gun and estimate a value before making a decision to keep or sell. It has no real sentimental value as I never knew my grandfather and my father never used it. I am not a hunter and my son is not either. One part of me says this gun should be in the hands of someone who would use and appreciate it, not stored in my closet.

The first thing I plan to do is to clean the gun up and get an estimate of its value. I am looking for suggestions on both of those. How to clean it safely? Should I take it to a dealer for an estimate of value or look on the auction sites for a rough estimate?

One last question - being a "takedown" I have seen models with other barrels listed. Could I find a .410 barrel and put it on this gun? Seems to me the magazine would have to be changed also.

Thanks for any help.
Pictures would help a lot. And since this is a collectors forum, condition means everything.
You probably have a 99G. Common enough in "hunting condition" to not be really valuable.
99G's could have .410 barrels fitted to them. Nice to have, but can only be used as a single shot.
forget the 410 idea. look on the net, it should give you some idea for value. Here is a start not many are less than 500, not many are more than 1000.
The pitting on the metal is going to hurt the value since it removes any collector interest, but the 30-30 helps for somebody wanting one to hunt. Doubt it would bring too much, though pictures would tell a lot more.

Since it's got a several generations worth of use in it, I'd consider seeing if you don't have somebody in the family interested in paying a decent price for it. Keep the history going.

A 99G would have a pistol grip buttstock and checkering. There were a couple other models of takedowns, so let us know if it doesn't have those features.

The 410 barrel could be used, but they are pricey and as Brian said they only work as a singleshot.

Welcome to the forum!

Picture of Loggah's 99G in 30-30:

[Linked Image]
I'd keep it. Once they're gone, family heirlooms are gone forever. It may be more meaningful to someone in the next generation--or the next after that. The cash value isn't going to be that high on the gun as you describe it, but as a family piece it's well worth holding on to.

As for the minor rust you mentioned, work on it very carefully with some fine steel wool soaked in oil (or better yet, brass wool if you can find it).

If you post some photos the folks here can give you a better estimate of value than you'll get from a dealer or from the Blue Book. Looking at the actual prices realized (not the crazy asking prices on guns that don't sell)on GunBroker.com can also tell you a lot.

Rod
Sounds like it has not been drilled and tapped, not had the stock cracked and not been refinished. Also sounds like you are planning on hunting with it. Tuck it away.
I'm as sentimental about stuff as the next guy, but I also recognize that if I kept every last thing I had sentimental attachment to my place would look like one of those horder caves you see on TV. There comes a time when disposing of stuff is called for, and as long as you're not going to use it/hunt it or don't have an heir who would appreciate it, send it on it's way and use the money for something that you like. I'll bet your dad/grand dad wouldn't mind a bit if you did.

One of the things my old man collected was hammers. Hammers of every shape and size imaginable. When I inherited his stuff I looked at them (they took up an entire wall in his shop) and said to myself "I don't want to own that da*n many hammers" so I sold most of them. The only ones I kept were a couple I knew I could use, plus the claw hammer he used 50 years ago to build our house. Even that one will end up on someone's yard sale with a $1.00 price tag on it someday as no one behind me in my family even knows which end of a hammer to hold. A direct analogy can be made with your heirloom Savage.

Post a a couple of close-up pics here and attach a fair price to it and it'll get snapped up in a heartbeat.
I might be interested in a hunting grade 30-30 takedown when you get a feel for what you'd like to get for it.
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to post some pictures tonight. The hammer analogy was interesting as I used my father's hammer for a number of years until I finally broke down and bought a nail gun. :-)
The key with a takedown, as I understand, is that it is "tight" once it is assembled. There, apparently, is no adjustment for looseness once there is wear as on a Winchester takedown.

I would be interested in a 30-30 shooter grade once you decide on a price.
if its a 30-30 G, they are not a common gun.

XLTFX4, T/D 99s can be tightened, there is a post on doing it in the misc good info thread that is stickied in this forum.
Grandpa's gun = not for sale
Dont sell it You will regret it.You can always make more money.You cant replace that rifle.Maybe another family member will hunt with it someday.

Mike
I would ask everyone in my family if they wanted it before I sold it. Thats me.

RAS
Originally Posted by billy336
Grandpa's gun = not for sale

That is what I would say as well.
Ah, you guys don't get it. For example: you are a gun nut who couldn't care less about cars and you found the old engine out of granddad's '62 Ford under a pile of garbage in the garage. Would you enshrine it and burden your offspring with it even though they aren't into cars either, or would you rather sell it and buy a pristine 99R with the money? Think about it. That's what this guy is facing. Personally I would sell the motor and woolgather with the memories of riding to the store for ice cream with Gramps in that old Ford, and then go have fun at the range with the new Savage rifle.

This guy isn't a gun nut or a hunter from what I gather, so the gun has no meaning to him other than it happened to belong to his dad and granddad who weren't particularly big on hunting either. Don't look at someone's dilemna with your eyes, look at it through his eyes.
Ok here are some pics hopefully. Appreciate the help and responses I cleaned it up and it cleaned up pretty nice. I am leaning towards putting it up on the wall and leaving it there.

Attached picture savage_2.jpg
Attached picture savage_1.jpg
Attached picture savage_3.jpg
Attached picture savage_4.jpg
Attached picture savage_5.jpg
That's a 99F, and looks to be in good shape.
One more set of pictures. Not sure what if anything the numbers on the bottom of the barrel and inside the forestock mean.

Attached picture savage_6a.jpg
Attached picture savage_6b.jpg
Attached picture savage_7.jpg
Attached picture savage_9.jpg
Attached picture savage_10.jpg
Numbers on the forearm should match the serial number, numbers on the barrel are probably the last 3 of your serial number.

Usually when a new guy mentions pitting on the rifle, they mean PITTING on the rifle. That's a nice looking gun.
If it was built in 1930 as " I think" the serial # suggests then it is probably very lightly used. My father was born in 1930 and his father died in 1936 so he could not have used it much. My father never used it as far as I know and my uncle might have used it for 10 years or so. I used it for 2 seasons and basically only shot rounds through it to sight it in. Never shot a deer although I saw a couple. LOL. As someone pointed out I am not a hunter.

Unless this is worth a lot more than I think I am leaning toward returning it to original condition(remove the peep sight and try to get an original rear sight), getting an authentication letter and hanging it on the wall. As many have pointed out I could never replace it.

Appreciate any help along the lines of that and rough value.
Thanks
Calhoun, you are right about the numbers. Guess I shoulda picked up on that.

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and easily the gun cleaned up. I guess I was disappointed that I let it get that way in the first place.
Thats a beauty of an "F" for sure, it would make a nice heirloom ! Don
I could see it fetch $1000 on GB...but you really never know with an auction.
pparker,

Unless you need money to pay the rent, hang on to it and put up on the wall. It don't eat much.

That is a real nice F.

I don't know where you live but if you wanted to hunt groundhogs, a 30-30 works real well. Low impact hunting too. Just taking the rifle for a walk.
Thats a nice rifle. With lots of condition.
What ever became of the original rear sight?
PM Sent. Check the flashing envelop by the "my stuff" icon.
That's a nice gun! I'd love to buy it from you, but as others have stated, you should really consider hanging on to that. I'm guessing $1000-$1200 right now, but if past performance is any indication, you'd be hard pressed to find an investment that would offer a better return than a quality antique Savage; even if you aren't a "gun guy".
Should you change he sight back to the original, I would be interested in purchasing the Lyman Receiver sight. Thank You!
I took the gun to a gunsmith(30 years ago) and had the rear sight replaced with the peep sight. Obviously kicking myself for not asking for the part back. Looking at the gun from a historic perspective I think original condition would be better. Anyone have any info on what the original rear sight was or where I might find one.
Parker 1213
Personally I would leave the rifle as it was given to you tang sight and all. As pointed out once it is gone it is gone. Wondering what other guns your father handed down if he was a savage guy should be high quality.
Originally Posted by lauren
Here is a start not many are less than 500, not many are more than 1000.

$1000? Lauren, are you feeling OK? laugh
I'm feelin OK looking at that gun. way better than average.
Could someone explain what a Model "F" means? Is it related to the year of manufacture or the makeup of the gun or something else. Is the Savage Historian still in business. I have found the address in another post here and am considering getting a letter from him
Originally Posted by lovemy99
if its a 30-30 G, they are not a common gun.

XLTFX4, T/D 99s can be tightened, there is a post on doing it in the misc good info thread that is stickied in this forum.

Hey Drew, thanks for mentioning the post about TD barrel tightening. It's unfortunate that there was no provision for adjustment like other systems but it sounds like the method works.
Means Featherweight takedown. Model E was the same rifle but solid frame.
Nice looking rifle. I agree with gnoahhh's assessment of "stuff". My heirs are going to have one heck of an auction someday as none are likely to share all my interests.

Your rifle has family providence that you may or may not appreciate. Future family members might love to own such a heirloom, and remember through it those who preserved the heritage. If you have no immediate pressing need for the cash I would suggest keeping the rifle. Value is not likely to go down and it "does not eat much". Would really look cool and generate conversation hanging in a recreation room.

Regulars here should be able to help you with IDing the proper sight. Some might even have one that would work. "lightfoot" comes to mind. Looks fine to me just the way it is.

Thank you to all who replied. At this point I have decided to keep it as many of you have reminded me of the times I have sold something and later regretted it(like my 66 mustang). The money is now gone and I can't replace the car.

Appreciate the help.
Hah! Now you're talking! I too sold a Mustang long, long ago. A '65 Fastback 289 4-speed. Used the money to buy my first Austin-Healey, and never regretted it for a minute. Mustangs were/are highly over rated, compared to European sports cars, and deserved to be sold!! grin grin If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hah! Now you're talking! I too sold a Mustang long, long ago. A '65 Fastback 289 4-speed. Used the money to buy my first Austin-Healey, and never regretted it for a minute. Mustangs were/are highly over rated, compared to European sports cars, and deserved to be sold!! grin grin If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.

I have always regretted selling my '67 Healey 3000; drove it for 3 years in Germany/Italy when stationed there, and for some years in the states. You could do a major repair on the side of the road and drive it away (If you had extra Lucas electrical parts in the trunk!). Stupid thing to sell. Oh, well. Still, I'd love to have my grand-dad's 1899 which he got from his uncle who got it from his brother in Colorado. My cousin has it now.
A buddy of mine bought an Austin Healey while he was in collage. Once when he could get it home (gravel road with loose gravel hump in middle) he told me to take it for a spin. I got in finally, and then I could not move my foot enough to use the clutch. I was way too tall for that thing. smirk miles
(If you had extra Lucas electrical parts in the trunk!).

Had a Lucas electrical syatem om an "Indian Brave" motorcycle back in the 50s. Hit a few bumps or pass through a patch of fog and the light bulbs burned out. Don't know if Lucas was knighted or not, but we referred to him as "Sir Edmund Lucas" the Prince of Darkness.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If I had a choice over the Muskrat, the Healey, or the equivelant in Savage rifles, God help me but I would take the Healey.

That is downright un-American. grin And I am not talking about the Healey or the Mustang. Give me the Savages.
I think this is what is referred to as thread drift!
It is a wise desicion, in my opinion, to keep the rifle.
pparker1213, the 99F that you have was the 1920's/1930's version of 99F. Originally there was an 1899F, which was a saddle ring carbine. Then your version of the 99F which was a featherweight takedown. Then later there was a 1950's/1960's 99F which was a solid frame featherweight, which looked nothing like yours.

If you look in the Misc. Good Info thread at the top of this forum you can find how to send for a letter from the Savage historian. Run you $25 or $30 and take probably 6 weeks, be a nice addition.
his barrel looks like 22"?
In a perfect world, one would drive to the range, or go hunting, or to a Fest in a Healey 100-4 LeMans, with a trunk load of Savage rifles. [If you're thinking that hunting deer via a Healey is absurd, I did for quite a few years. Just cram the critter in the boot along with the spare generator, starter, belts and hoses that I didn't go anywhere without, close the lid halfway with a bungee chord and make a dash for home. God, the looks I got from other motorists! (I always took care to make sure the antlered head was staring out at them! Some would wave and give me a thumb's up, others saluted with a different finger.)]

I actually have my great-grandfather's Model A Ford which he bought new in 1930, in about 1/3 restored condition. Hopefully one day I'll go hunting in it and pose in front of it with a dead deer lashed to a fender, holding a 99, and wearing my Pop's Woolrich suit! To ensure induction into Grogels photo collection, I'll be sure to wear a funny hat too!
An old joke about Lucas.

Q.Why do the Brits drink their beer warm?

A. Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.
Ah yes. Classic cars, classic rifles, classic shotguns, and classic memories. Life is good.
I skrunched up a couple of those losten-healy,prince of darkness cars in the junkyard last year put a smile on my face as i did it!!!!! !!!! had a buddy killed on a british indian scout years ago, lights out by Lucas !!!! mad mad Don
I love these " thread drifts "

Gnoahhh, hope i'm still around to see the photo's of the A model with a deer lashed to it, you leaning against the front with a 99 in 22 h.p in your hands

Johno
Don! Tell me you didn't! Worth a heckuva lot more to a collector than as scrap metal! Kind of like melting down Savages and Marlins for their scrap value. (I can understand though if they're connected to the loss of a friend.)

Johno, maybe I'll prop the deer up in the rumble seat, with a silly hat on it's head!
Gary, yup scrunched them right up ,they didnt look very big after the grapple got them, one of them had a bunch of spare parts in the trunk !!! my boss said junk um !! smile the only good things to come out of limey land was Vincent motorcycles and J.A.P. engines !!! grin Don
I measured the barrel and it is 22". Does that mean anything besides it is 22"?
Any thoughts on where I could get an original rear open sight?

Thanks
Watch ebay for a sight....or check w/some of the folks here. Lightfoot may have one. They do show up occasionally. Watch for a nice one. Until then....just roll with it. Thats a real functionable sight on there now. Highly preferred over the rear open sight....by old farts with poor eyesight.
Like me.
There is a sight on Ebay now but I have no idea if it would fit my gun or how they attach. There is still a piece of metal on the gun from the old sight and it looks like the sight would slide under it somehow.
I got a couple left with the cute little elevator with the setscrew in it.
That thing thats in there now is called a 'sight blank'
Go with Lightfoot. He'll treat ya right. Tell him you want a 'minty' one. Price is secondary. wink
I'd prefer to have the peep sight. I don't think you'll be increasing it's value by any great measure by swapping sights. What's probably there now is just a filler for the dovetail the sight goes in.
Originally Posted by Loggah
the only good things to come out of limey land was Vincent motorcycles and J.A.P. engines !!! grin Don

Ah yes the Vincent Black Shadow. Makes me wonder now if it wasn't named after Lucas's shadow. Good bike though.
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
That thing thats in there now is called a 'sight blank'
Go with Lightfoot. He'll treat ya right. Tell him you want a 'minty' one. Price is secondary. wink

X2 on Ligthfoot, stick with him wink
Originally Posted by 99guy
Tell him you want a 'minty' one.

Not necessary... I only handle quality goods!
Originally Posted by pparker1213
I measured the barrel and it is 22". Does that mean anything besides it is 22"?
Any thoughts on where I could get an original rear open sight?

Thanks

22" barrel is correct for a 30-30, no worries.
Gary, you feel any tension on that chain that Don is jerking????

Johno
grin grin
I still miss my TR-7. Never loved by the masses but a hell of a car once you replaced all the Lucas with Bosch. Bought it with a little over 1300 miles on it from my CO for $1000 'cause it wouldn't charge. 48 DM later with a Bosch alt life was good. grin Drove it all over Europe and the western U.S. Got backed over by a bitch in a 4WD at a stop light. She decided not to make a left turn. Felt a little strange looking up at her drive shaft. frown I've still got a set of keys.
I haven't crunched one of them "YET"!!! grin got a 1954 or so Cadillac that probably will get crunched soon. pparker where abouts in N.H. are you at? i know another pparker who has a savage 1895 rifle in the central part of the state. Don
Whew, Don you had me going! Don't scare me like that, my heart won't take it!
Skid, if you think the TR-7 was good, you should try on a TR-8. Imagine that 4-banger replaced by a Rover V-8 under the hood.
My father has built an MGB with a Chevy 5 speed and an aluminum v8 from a Range Rover. It is a fast little car!!!
Originally Posted by Skidrow
She decided not to make a left turn. Felt a little strange looking up at her drive shaft.

George
Which Drive shaft was ya looking at???? grin You sure ya wasn't looking at something else? whistle
Know whatcha mean Gregg. A buddy imported a factory MGBGT V-8 24 years ago. It is a fast little stinker!

Another pal had a 289 Sunbeam Tiger, which would eat all of our lunches! (Except for the guys in the club who had Cobras- originals- and Ferraris, but they don't count!)
I am in the lakes region. My name is Dave and pparker is just a alias as Spiderman was a comic book hero when i was a kid
I knew he was Spidey! Look how he lassoed that gun!
Dave, i'm just above you a bit up in Campton ! Don
Small world Don, I am in Alton. I met a guy about a month ago in New Durham who was a gun collector. I do computer repair on the side and I was fixing his computer. He is the one who sorta reminded me that I had an old gun in the attic. He was watching an auction at Gunbroker on a Savage rifle and I said "hey I have one of those"
Dave, Small world is right about 40 miles as the crow flies, but we got a big puddle between us!! grin Don
© 24hourcampfire