Home
Posted By: Canadian What model 99's were in .308? - 04/28/11
I am wondering what Savage model 99's came in .308? I know there is an economy grade which I think was the 99E? Is there a clip model with a detachable magazine? I am basically wondering what the nicest model of 99 was in the .308?

Was there ever a version with a 22" barrel? Did they ever make a .308 with a rotary magazine? What was the nicest, deluxe version of the .308 with walnut stocks and deep blueing, also drilled and tapped from the factory. Thanks
99 F (Featherweight)
99 R (Heavy rifle)
99 EG (Standard rifle, later ones were drilled and tapped)

All 3 came in .308. The Featherweight has a 22" barrel and was factory drilled and tapped.

Rod
Those are the pre-1960 versions. I think almost every model after 1960 came in 308 except the brush guns.

99F, 99DL, 99E, 99C, 99PE, 99DE, 75th commemorative, 99A.

The pre-1960 99F in 308 would probably be the most desirable hunting rifle. Factory d&t with a 22" barrel.

Like this one from 1957:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Phil99
99 F (Featherweight)
99 R (Heavy rifle)
99 EG (Standard rifle, later ones were drilled and tapped)

All 3 came in .308. The Featherweight has a 22" barrel and was factory drilled and tapped.

Rod
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Those are the pre-1960 versions.

The ones that came after 1960 are easy to forget wink
All Savage 99s cataloged as being chambered in 308 were factory d&t for scope bases and receiver/peep sights.

The following Savage 99 styles were cataloged as being chambered in 308:

Pre-Million SNs:

99EG - 24" barrel
99F - 22" barrel
99R - 24" barrel

Post-Million and alpha prefix SNs:

99A - 20" and 22" barrels
99C - 22" barrels (detachable magazine)
99CD - 22" barrels (detachable magazine)
99DE - 22" barrels
99DL(M) - 22" and 24" barrels
99E - 20" and 22" barrels
99F - 22" barrels
99PE - 22" barrels
75th Anniversary Commemorative Rifle (1970 only) - 24" Octagon barrels

The 99Fs with cut checkering, either the pre-Mil lever safety or post-Mil tang safety, are nice hunting rifles. My person favorite 308 99 is a 99DL with a 24" barrel and cut checkering from 1962.

Good luck!

JEff
I'd say that the nicest 99 in .308W is the pre-1960 EG.

[Linked Image]
Very nice! I concur. EG's are the most elegant lever rifle ever made! Mine shoots under an inch, 3 shot groups, at 100. Beautiful Rifle!
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
I'd say that the nicest 99 in .308W is the pre-1960 EG.

[Linked Image]

Plus 1 on that statement.
Very Nice looking rifle.
Steve
The 99EG's comb is a little low for using optics, so I'd opt for the 99R if I have to choose between those 2 rifles.

JEff
Those wer nice second choices. But the best 308 is the heavy R wink[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
It works fine on my EG 358 !!!!! maybe my neck is longer than most !!! grin Don
My only 358s are 99Fs and 99Rs. Never owned a 99EG in 358. Probably wouldn't have used it when I have better options in the rack. ;-)

JEff
I'm an R guy to, 308 and a 358.
XLTFX4, Thats a great rifle.
The ones that came after 1960 are easy to forget

That was good for a chuckle.
However. Savage didn't make any 99's after 1960. They made junk.
Originally Posted by Jed 1899

Hey my 99E is a nice shooting rifle, might have been made in '79 or '80, might not have the prettiest wood...but it is definitely NOT junk. Bet it'll kill a deer just as dead as your "R".
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Hey my 99E is a nice shooting rifle, might have been made in '79 or '80, might not have the prettiest wood...but it is definitely NOT junk. Bet it'll kill a deer just as dead as your "R".

If you're smart, you won't go there.................
Ive got them in A,DL,EG,E, pre and post F. That DL is the best shooting 99 Ive ever shot. These guys always hate on the gold triggered 99s, but they kill deer very well. My walls are the proof
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

If you're smart, you won't go there.................

laugh Be careful! Very careful GW
Originally Posted by Canadian
I am basically wondering what the nicest model of 99 was in the .308?
Thanks

XLTFX4's EG is definitely SWEET, and unique...but the best? Whichever one you can call your own!

An AMC Pacer is an AMC Pacer and a Corvette is a Corvette.........the fact that they can both get you to work don't count for jack [bleep] wink
Originally Posted by 99guy

An AMC Pacer is an AMC Pacer and a Corvette is a Corvette.........the fact that they can both get you to work don't count for jack [bleep] wink

Beats the h@ll out of anything else I could afford in a lever gun. If I wanted a Pacer I'd have bought a Mossberg. In the brush I hunt in you don't want to carry anything too pretty anyway...by the way when it comes to hunting I could care less if I had to hit it with a rock as long as I hit what I'm aiming at.
Hey thanks to all for the kind words about my EG.
Jed, that's the rifle I bought a few years back and posted a different pic when I first came to the forum. This pic that I posted against the tree makes the colors look washed out from the sun, but you guys still had a sharp enough eye to see the condition despite that! You guys ARE good! Way too nice to hunt with, though.
It's nice to see the heavy bastard R's have a following. Back when I was still doing shows, new condition R's in 300 Savage would sit on the table all w/end with an asking of 400$. I wouldn't carry one of them boat anchors across the street. If I'm gonna tote a 99...it's gonna be a Featherweight.
Best 308? Right here...

[Linked Image]
It's nice to see the heavy bastard R's have a following. Back when I was still doing shows, new condition R's in 300 Savage would sit on the table all w/end with an asking of 400$. I wouldn't carry one of them boat anchors across the street. If I'm gonna tote a 99...it's gonna be a Featherweight.

Funny, not that I think this is appropriate, but one just sold last week on GB, no tags, no box.... $1000! 300R...

Rory,

That is one awesome gun! I might have to do a custom gun with a C/C receiver one of these days.

I like the 308F... hunted with one a few years ago and its killed deer just find but it does kick pretty good when shooting 180s off the bench.
them 180's must be unmerciful sonsabitches. I shoot OTC 150's and it can get stingy after a few groups of 3. If I rolled my own I'd use 100's.
Posted By: z1r Re: What model 99's were in .308? - 04/29/11
Guys,

I just came into what I was told was a 99R in .308. However, after reading the first page and the descriptions posted by Phil99 I wonder if I don;t have a 99F instead? It's a Pre-mil SN 90367XX. Bbl is 21" to the face of the receiver. The rifle is lighter than my EG. I noted the barrel has swell/band where the rear sight is dovetailed into. Does this sound like an F to you?

I honestly didn't care about the caliber, I was just looking for a nice unmolested 99 that was factory D&T'd for scope bases.

My EG is not and while fun to shoot I am limited by my vision with the open sights.
yes if it has the barrel band [not right term] it is an mod F nice gun pick it up
NORM

ps,, rear sight is mounted on raised portion
Posted By: z1r Re: What model 99's were in .308? - 04/29/11
Yeah, I couldn't think of the correct term either. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm glad its an F. I really like my EG in .300 Savage but just like/NEED a scope these days in the field beyond 100 yds.

It's a nice rifle in good shape. Already have it.

I just found the thread on rotor spring adjustment. I need to give that a try, the rotor hangs up with more than one round in it. Seems to need a little extra tension.
its called a barrel boss or rear sight boss... post some pics!
here is a 308F that I hunted with a few years ago, put meat in the freezer with a couple of does..

[Linked Image]

all that is left of a 150gr corelokt, found in a tree on the other side of the deer...seems to have lost its jacket at some point ... (it was a cranial shot, so no surprise the bullet got mangled)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gulo Re: What model 99's were in .308? - 04/29/11
I agree with Oldotter! The best looking 99s period were the model R's from the '50's! Rare in .308, though. I really like my EG but my R is my favorite of all my guns.

Around here the most common pre '60 99 in .308 is the F. Anyone notice that the lever on the F is lighter than the earlier guns? Less steel in it. And then they started using the lighter lever on most 99s as far as i can tell.

The .308 is versatile, inexpensive and common everywhere, but my feeling is that the .300 Savage is the king of the 99 calbers. Chambering these guns in .308 and .243 and all that was a compromise, the beginning of the decline that got into full swing in 1960. To me, the ultimate classic 99 is a '50's era R in .300 Savage barring that, an EG in the same caliber and era. These guns were the pinnacle of the 99 before it went down the slippery slope.
yep... when they started making the Winchester calibers the levers got rounded off a little... they also don't hold their case color nearly as well as the earlier levers did. Might be a whole different steel or maybe a different casing procedure????
Posted By: gulo Re: What model 99's were in .308? - 04/29/11
Originally Posted by lovemy99
yep... when they started making the Winchester calibers the levers got rounded off a little... they also don't hold their case color nearly as well as the earlier levers did. Might be a whole different steel or maybe a different casing procedure????

The steel is shinier, for sure.
Glad to have somebody who sees the light. grin But I must concede my R in 300 savage is a tack driver. Will group 3 in 5/8 inch of my hand rolled rounds. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] My Rs are great shooters. If some folks complain bout em being heavy, tell the girls to stay on the couch> wink grin
Posted By: z1r Re: What model 99's were in .308? - 04/30/11
Originally Posted by oldotter
Glad to have somebody who sees the light. grin But I must concede my R in 300 savage is a tack driver. Will group 3 in 5/8 inch of my hand rolled rounds. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] My Rs are great shooters. If some folks complain bout em being heavy, tell the girls to stay on the couch> wink grin

My EG in .300 Savage will do the same. It's an amazing rifle and very easy to shoot offhand unlike so many "modern" rifles.

I will try to get some pics of my F in .308 tomorrow if the weather permits.

A big thanks to Longbeardking for posting the rotor spring adjustment instructions.

I'm up to three 99's now. 22HP, .300, .308. Best of all, I scored a Redfield model 70 sight today for my EG. That should make it even easier to shoot 5/8"s.
Ok, here are some pics I snapped this morning:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
very nice condition. Is the bolt jewelled? Don't see a lot of the Fs that do not have the fluted stocks either.

The swivels are not factory but you will look a long time before you find too many Fs without swivels.
got yourself a lifelong companion there. Nice.
Yes, the bolt is Jewelled. Kinda knew the swivels weren't original but as you say, you have to look long and hard. Of course, their presence made it affordable. :-)

The case is a little thin on the lever especially compared to my EG but bluing is very good over all with only a small amount "use" present.
It's nice to see the heavy bastard R's have a following. I wouldn't carry one of them boat anchors across the street.

Same.

© 24hourcampfire