Home
Posted By: texken altered 99's - 09/23/11
what is the no. 1 thing that would stop you from buying a 99 in otherwise excellent condtion.
what would be acceptable?
things like
d/t
non factory sling studs
Posted By: 99trix Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Here is my lists of hates in order (I wouldn't buy one with any of the following unless the I could make money on the parts)

1) cut stock with recoil pad
2) cut barrel
3) non factory drilled and tapped
4) reblued
5) blued lever
6) refinished wood

I might be missing something, but I am sure I will be reminded!
Blair
Posted By: Calhoun Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Hmm... well, there's.. no, that's not it. Umm... hate recoil pads, but they can sometimes be replaced. So...

Dang. I'll get back to you.

grin
Posted By: billy336 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Drilled thru the Savage 99 stamp makes me wanna puke
Posted By: Loggah Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
I kind of hate it when they prick punch Jeds name on the side of the receiver!!!!!! i know theres a picture of that floating around somewhere in computerworld. crazy crazy
Posted By: riverpines Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
If I need the rifle for my collection and its a hard model or caliber to get , I'll still buy it with these non factory doings:
A neat overcoat of varnish on wood
sling swivels
wrong sights
Would not buy if: Stock cut for recoil pad , non factory drilled for scope mounts , reblued bubba refinished wood.

I have a couple of gun with swivel studs that don't bother me I still concider them to be collectable. I guess if a 1895 came along for the right price that was drilled and tapped I would not pass it up. The older 1899's are getting hard to find un-molested. If money was no object I would be more particular.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
I have a 1951 99 EG in 300 Savage. It was owned by my grandfather. It was drilled by a 'smith for scope mounts right thru the 99 logo. It still looks great with the factory bluing and although it was D & T the sentimental value far outweighs that!
Posted By: texken Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
I forgot about the recoil pad, thats right at the top of the list, I agree about the stock if its not been cut.
what about tang cracks? I have aways passed them by, but would probably go for it for the 32-40, 1895, "D"
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
laugh Guess you all like them compasses. GW
Hey, that's right, I do have one absolute restriction!

No compasses.
Posted By: boltman Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Originally Posted by Calhoun

No compasses.

Rory - you know how we say, "never say never" with Savages wink
Posted By: norm99 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Originally Posted by Calhoun

No compasses.

NOW A SAVAGE PRETTY WITH A COMPASS MIGHT BE ACCEPTABLE whistle grin
This one might be the only one with a compass that would have tempted me. Fortunately Les got it, cuz he does love those compasses. grin

[Linked Image]
love those with s.s. or initials, gotta get one of those
here is one "gunsinternational" 100203687
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Blair's list covers it for me, with one caveat. Any or all of them would be acceptable as a basis for a custom project. Those of us with that genetic defect applaud the fact that there are lots of Bubba'ed guns out there!
Posted By: Irving_D Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
What is a compass on a savage? Is it what it sounds like?
Posted By: Skidrow Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
what is the no. 1 thing that would stop you from buying a 99 in otherwise excellent condition.

1) Someone trying to sell a shooter for a collector price.

2) Reaching in my pocket and finding nothing but lint.

Since an altered 99 is just a shooter most anything can be fixed, repaired, replaced, whatever. Its never gonna be right again so if you want it for a shooter make what you think is an appropriate offer. Or not.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Funny....all of the eliminator's just about makes up my stable I plucked from the Island of Misfit Toys! You know what they say about "bigger girls", Why they need lovin' too! Often they will give you the ride of your life too as they aren't always sure when the next train is pulling into the station! All shapes and sizes boys! Somewhere along the line, the mistreated Savages have a redeeming quality...maybe not as a display piece at a SAVAGE FEST or a FUG FEAST, but they maybe somebodies darling and quite possibly can shoot the mole off of your last "last call" prize! Yippe Ki Yay Mo'Fo'!
Posted By: steve99 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Was at a Local show and just got back. Saw a Savage 1899 H with the rubber butt pad, wg rear sight, good finish on metal and wood but with the poor lighting couldn't really say if original. $1750 for this in 25-35. D & T of course. Top mount. One of only 250 ever made acording to the dealer.

Saw another at a different table that might have started life as a special order Model 250-3000. Take down in the 180,000 range. Fore end said to be numbered to the frame with Leader grade checking on the fore end. Very nice wood front and rear flame type grain, but the rear is unchecked anywhere, obvious replacement. Only 1500. Metal did look good though.
Posted By: boltman Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Those are some pretty high prices and I'll bet Drew will agree with me. However, we'll have to point out to him that the M1899-H was a .25-35 wink
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
I'd like to know where the dealer got the 250 number... unless he has had the opportunity to go through all of the early ledger books, I think he is talking out his ass. There is no published information of that sort that I know of.... and yeah, drilled and tapped does not equal $1750 in my boat...regardless of caliber... it was otherwise perfect and was a P/G with checkering, I could see it fetching $1500 or more.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
IMNSHO I think that most sellers are talking out their ass. 99s have flown under the wire for so long that only a relative few know the real value scale. In most cases they don't even have a clue as to what it is that they are trying to sell and don't know the difference between a shooter and a collectible. Anything other than an EG or an F being correctly identified is seldom seen. Most sellers only know what they see on the auction sites and sites like the Wildwood boys or Cabelas. They don't pay much attention to actual auction or face to face sales but rather to the opening bids and reserves. If I hadn't stumbled on to this site 10 years ago I probably wouldn't know any better either. Consequently there are a lot of 99s out there with really inflated prices. Sellers that do actually know what they have still pump up the prices because they think that small production numbers of a model equates to a high price regardless of condition. If there's one thing that I've learned from Jed and others on this site the cardinal rule is condition, condition, condition. To me a 99% EG in .300 Savage, probably the most common 99 there is, is worth a lot more than a Monarch grade .303 that has been drilled and tapped, recoil padded etc or looks like its been dragged from Florida to Texas behind a pickup truck on a dirt road. Again, JMNSHO. wink grin
Posted By: steve99 Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
Drew,

I didn't bother asking about the 250 figure he quoted, it was part of his story for the gun. He was trying to convince any prospective buyer that the D & T wouldn't hurt the value as an "investment". This is the same guy that hits local shows selling this cloth saturated with his mystery oil and it performs miracles for metal and wood. He comes with his own salt shaker. He is oddly entertaining.

The other guy thought his would be a "great" investment if you would get a chechering man to duplicate the front checkering to the rear. It was pointed out that it still wouldn't be factory. No matter.

Lesson: Know what you're getting into.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: altered 99's - 09/24/11
I realise this is a "collector's" site, so my views are probably a bit "out-of-step" with most. To me, every gun I own is there to be used and hunted with....including the dozen or so Savage 99's in the gun room. I do NOT own for long any "safe queens".

I actually WANT them to have sling swivels, scope mounts and in some cases recoil pads installed. I want my rifles to look good, but don't mind a few dings or blemishes. Replaced wood and reblued metal are fine with me if it makes the rifle more attractive and useful. I do prefer the Pre-mil rifles because of their quality and style....but don't care at all if they are in "original" condition or not.

However, I have learned over the years that those things DO make a big difference to some. In my youth I admit I did drill and tap a few really nice 99's and swapped the original stocks on some for "better" wood and even used a little blue to touch up defects. I beg forgiveness and plead youth and inexperience. This site has taught me a lot about my former errors.

Now, when I find a nice "original" rifle I may buy it....but no longer alter anything. I know enough "collectors" I can call and either sell the rifle for a profit....or better yet, trade it for a good shooter and cash difference. Everybody wins. I get a rifle I can use, they get a collectable they want....and sometimes the difference in cash means I get "my" rifle for free!!

I appreaciate and respect the desire for "perfect" rifles, but even now if given the choice between an untouched 99 at $900 and a scoped, reblued, refinished rifle with sling swivels installed at say....$450, I'll most likely buy the "modified" gun and let the true collectors have the untouched one. The "flaws" that would make many here pass by a rifle actually make it MORE desirable to me as it will be a "shooter" anyway. Those "defects" just mean I get a rifle that I want for a very much lower price!
Originally Posted by Skidrow
what is the no. 1 thing that would stop you from buying a 99 in otherwise excellent condition.

1) Someone trying to sell a shooter for a collector price.

2) Reaching in my pocket and finding nothing but lint.

Since an altered 99 is just a shooter most anything can be fixed, repaired, replaced, whatever. Its never gonna be right again so if you want it for a shooter make what you think is an appropriate offer. Or not.
"(1)" just went through one of those deals. finally got my money back
Posted By: Dons1 Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
I kinda stand philosophically with FatJack and TexasRick.
I don't let a "blemish" stand in the way of obtaining a good shooter or a good deal. Most of my meager accumulation have suffered at least one of the aforementioned atrocities listed above. I appreciate a pristine collectible whether Savage or others, but have a hard time resisting those queen sized ladies (as Jack refers to) when they happen by.

Here's an example some of you have seen before:

A post-mil 99A in 250-3000 found at a N.VA gun show a couple years back. Swivel studs installed, rear sight was gone and it had an after-market Monte Carlo cheek piece epoxied to the stock. Three strikes! Oh yeah, post mil to boot - strike four. Other-wise in great condition. Price was under $300.

I can't find my "before" pictures, but luckily the cheek piece popped away from the stock in pieces, and the little fold-down Lyman was easy to find. So today it looks something like this:

[Linked Image]

I can't help but believe that even the snootyist Savage aficionado wouldn't pass this up in - say the $500 range.
Posted By: federali Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
The three aftermarket things I hate most:
1. recoil pads
2. recoil pads
3. recoil pads
Posted By: hclark Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
Guess I'm in the same camp as FatJack, TexasRick and Dons1! Here's a couple to raise the blood pressure of the purists:
A 1929 99H carbine in 303:
[Linked Image]

A 1911 1899 in 35/30-30 AI:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
I have a bunch of so-so savages , but i don't try to buy them any more. you can hunt with a club ,or a spear or a bubba tinkered rifle!! what ever makes you happy , but when it comes to collecting they just don't cut it !!!!! Don
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
Originally Posted by hclark
Guess I'm in the same camp as FatJack, TexasRick and Dons1! Here's a couple to raise the blood pressure of the purists:
A 1929 99H carbine in 303:
[Linked Image]

A 1911 1899 in 35/30-30 AI:

[Linked Image]

I don't care what anyone says that 1899 is a beaut, love the stock color and the case.
Posted By: 99guy Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
A shooter is a shooter and a collector is a collector.

I think what gets some of the guys here steamed up is when a misinformed or ignorant seller tries to put a pig in a dress and high heels.

I know a lot of the die hard collectors here also posses many "shooters".

Nothing wrong with a "shooter" as long as you call it a "shooter".
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11

I think what gets some of the guys here steamed up is when a shooter or seller tries to put a collector in a dress and high heels.

I know a lot of the die hard collectors here also posses many a dress and high heels.

smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
only one and i think it was a mumu !!!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
Hmm.. sure it wasn't two? Jed and Steve? Or was it just one of them? grin
Posted By: saddlering Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
I got a few that have been altered, one is a 303 B, that had the barrel cut and stock broke, I had a smith cut the barrel to 16 1/2 in. reworked the hole gun, now I can work on them! inside & out, One of my favrite 99s! to shoot! But the main thing it was a learning Exp. I wasnt afraid to break anything, a good buddie just gave me a beater 38-55 A, going to have the same treatment done to it with a 18 1/2 in round barrel!
Posted By: hclark Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
Originally Posted by saddlering
I got a few that have been altered, one is a 303 B, that had the barrel cut and stock broke, I had a smith cut the barrel to 16 1/2 in. reworked the hole gun, now I can work on them! inside & out, One of my favrite 99s! to shoot! But the main thing it was a learning Exp. I wasnt afraid to break anything, a good buddie just gave me a beater 38-55 A, going to have the same treatment done to it with a 18 1/2 in round barrel!

Saddlering,

Way to go! I had JES rebore a pitted 30-30 bbl to 38-55 and cut it off to 18 1/2". Makes a neat "brush gun":

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1899sav Re: altered 99's - 09/26/11
Originally Posted by Loggah
only one and i think it was a mumu !!!

[Linked Image]

Who This Guy????

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hotload Re: altered 99's - 09/29/11
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I have a 1951 99 EG in 300 Savage. It was owned by my grandfather. It was drilled by a 'smith for scope mounts right thru the 99 logo. It still looks great with the factory bluing and although it was D & T the sentimental value far outweighs that!

Hi Rich,
I could say the exact same things about my 99. cool
Posted By: Jericho Re: altered 99's - 09/29/11
I saw a 99E 308 with a muzzle brake on it about 3 years ago.
I also believe I handled a 30-30 that had been rebored to
32-40 also.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: altered 99's - 10/11/11
I saw an 1899 for sale for $650 yesterday in an "antique" store. Looked great except it had been reblued - a good job but they did the lever too. Still has the crescent butt, stock hasn't been sanded, looks like a decent old .30-30 shooter with a 16,xxx SN.

How overpriced do you reckon it is?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: altered 99's - 10/11/11
Round 26" barrel? About $200 more than I'd pay for a shooter, though I don't like 30-30's that much. That's quite early for a 30-30.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: altered 99's - 10/11/11
Yep, long round barrel. Just think how it would shoot those Leverevolution rounds with that long barrel though!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: altered 99's - 10/11/11
In that serial range the top of the barrel should be marked "SAV 30". I would put some extra $ on that.
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: altered 99's - 10/11/11
I've seen more suspicous 25-35 1899 h's than any other.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: altered 99's - 10/12/11
Thanks, guys. Maybe I ought to take another look at it. The tag says the price is firm, but I really would like to shoot something with it.
© 24hourcampfire