Home
A friend has a model 99E has a rear stock that's splitting badly. He wants to get a replacement stock. Hard to find one of the ugly hardwood origonals. Wondering if their are synthetic stocks made for Savage 99's?

mpi.....spendy
Might just want to consider buying another 99E.. or even a better model.
Originally Posted by slideaction
A friend has a model 99E has a rear stock that's splitting badly. He wants to get a replacement stock. Hard to find one of the ugly hardwood origonals. Wondering if their are synthetic stocks made for Savage 99's?

IMHO hard to find something uglier than a synthetic stock on a 99. There are new wooden stocks available, and someone on this forum can point you to the various makers if you are interested.
SlideA,

How bad is the splitting? If the stock is all there (no missing chunks) you can likely make a repair with some epoxy and careful clamping and/or wrapping.

Correct the cause of splitting and refinish the wood to a darker color. My experience with refinishing that Birch has been a spotty success story. The best results I have found is to use dye, not stain.

There are a couple of guys here who are knowledgeable in this area, Gnoagggh is one that comes to mind, Maybe if you could get a pic of the stock on here, you would get input on whether it is salvageable.
Karnis also has a fine reputation for repair work.
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Karnis also has a fine reputation for repair work.

+1 on that! He has refinished a few for me as well....fantastic workmanship!
Boyds has wood ones... http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/SAVAGE-99-STOCK-p/200-353.htm
Gentleman I've been gone. Thank you for all your replys.
I like the look of those Boyd's stocks. I gave the link to my buddy,
I think that's the way he's going to go as well. Thanks again.
© 24hourcampfire