Home
Posted By: tbjohn Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Hi,
This was thursday. Saw 5 bulls and this cow 9:00am. The week had been warm and we think that was the reason for the hard hunt. 703 lbs. 308 model F Washington county, Maine
Terry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300savagehunter Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Congraulations, looks like a lot of prime meat there. Savage always come through.

Mike
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Originally Posted by tbjohn
Hi,
This was thursday. Saw 5 bulls and this cow 9:00am. The week had been warm and we think that was the reason for the hard hunt. 703 lbs. 308 model F Washington county, Maine
Terry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Congratulations on a fine hunt. Cows make for the table MUCH better than a rutting bull. BOTH are trophys for sure. Nice choice in rifles!!!!
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Congrats! Let's hear some details: What load did you use? How did it perform? How far was the shot?

Rod
Posted By: tbjohn Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Thanks, I should get the meat back in about 2 weeks. I figure that is like shooting 6 deer. It droped about 1000 feet up into the woods. Was nice to have an ATV with us.
Posted By: tbjohn Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
I was using remington 180 grains round nose. Right out of the box. The shot was about 100 yds, All i could see was the legs and ears and nose. She was standing behind a blowdown facing me. I pulled down on her chest and you can see the shot in the pic. She walked off up the hill and I did go in and was worried about how far she would go so I put a couple more in her. Moose die very hard and can go a long way. You just never know.Huge lungs.
Posted By: boswellbuckhunter Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11

Congratulations,

Sounds like it was a Moose of a good time....Love the rifle too..

Joe
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
Thanks for sharing the photos. I can only wish. That should take care of the meat situation for the winter. GW
Posted By: Mesa Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/16/11
You can't eat the horns, and sometimes on the ones with nice horns you can't eat much of anything else. Sage, garlic, paprika, pork fat, and a meat grinder will only take you so far--some old boys are so stanky you just can't cover it up.

If I want my men friends to congratulate me, I bring home nice horns....if I want my wife to welcome me home, I bring home a young 'un or a doe or cow. Guess which I usually do? (Going on 46 years of marriage to the same woman...Let the "young bucks" kill the "big bucks"!)
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/17/11
Nice job there, tb. Classic Maine woods rifle and load, too. I have cousins in Sydney and Waterville. The one's in-laws seem to always get a couple of moose tags in the family, and a couple of moose makes for a lot of good eatin'.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/17/11
Thank you for the cool pictures.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/17/11
Big time CONGRATS! Very cool!
Posted By: tbjohn Re: Maine moose hunt - 10/18/11
thanks for all the thanks. It was a fun time and lots (about 300lbs.)of moose meat.
© 24hourcampfire