[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JeffG Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/06/11
and here's after;

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/06/11
Nicely done. What did you do with the bluing?
Posted By: JeffG Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/06/11
I used "Blue Wonder" home-hot-blue and etched it with triple-O steel wool before it was completely cured. Anyone who knows 99's will see the color difference from across the room, but it puts a nice age-appropriate satin lustre on it.
Posted By: 99trix Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/06/11
It is a lot nicer hunting rig than in the before pictures. If you put a leupold on it Jed might even hunt with it lol
Posted By: KiloCharlie Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
Still looks old, very classy rejuvenation!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
Ain't bad for a home blue at all, from the pictures.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbjohn Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
what did you do to the stock. it came out very nice.
Posted By: JeffG Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
I hand sanded the worst of the dings and burns out (but not all, kept some for "character").

My trick is to use 60 grit for fast material removal, then 80, 100, 150, 220, 400, 600 all with the grain of course. Hand sanding allows the corners and checkering to be protected.

I did a little chasing of the checkering. Then three coats of boiled linseed oil, and two coats of beeswax (chickadees love my guns' smell), probably 5-6 hours total, including the bluing.

I'm particularly proud of the dark grain matched patch on the left side of butt stock (where the two putty holes were)
Posted By: Calhoun Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/07/11
That is really nice Jeff.
Posted By: tbjohn Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/08/11
that came out the way it should look ,at least I think so. very nice. I got one to try. you got me thinking about it.
Posted By: JeffG Re: early 99 R(ecovered) - 11/08/11
Originally Posted by tbjohn
that came out the way it should look ,at least I think so. very nice. I got one to try. you got me thinking about it.

Absolutely, go for it! My trick is to start with a gun I can't possibly make worse..., and of course one that the collectors won't string us up for altering.
© 24hourcampfire