Home
I'm looking for practical experience from anyone who's hunted this bullet in their 300 Savage 99.
I have Steelhead's load recommendation of 42-43 grains of H4895, are there others?
How is it on tissue damage vs. cup n core 150?
My buddy wants to set up his EG and his grandpas 99F that he inherited with a single load for both. We hunt close quarters normally, so he's not thinking trajectory improvement, just recoil reduction, and only for blacktail deer. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Roy
130 TSX and 36 gr of 4198 will do 2800+ in both my R and EG (24") and drop 3 in 3/4-7/8". Kills like the hammer of Thor on deer and antelope out to 300 yards.
100% penetration, no animal has traveled more than 20 yards. As best I can count 4 deer and 9 antelope have fallen to this load from 35 yards to 300. All one shot kills.

This is a max load, so work up and don't plan on long case life.

TTSX has different shape, needs to be seated deeper (magazine), might open a bit faster. IME the TSXs shoot better groups in all my 30s from 300 Savage to 30-378 WB. Same was true vs the MRX which appears to have been dropped.

Just as a FYI, TSX/TTSXs don't work at all in 1 in 12 250-3000s. The old 75 gr X was great but is long gone.

Your buddy has a killing machine there.
Thank you. Yes, he is quite a proficient blacktail hunter, but until today has never fired grand dads 99F. We put 50 rounds thru it to make some brass for the new pet loads. Thanks, and we'll try (working up to) your loads, but is that IMR 4198 or H4198?
IMR, not there is any real difference as they are both made by Hodgdon.
Like H414 and W760 ..... exactly the same powder.
Hodgdon hasn't changed the IMR 4198 to H 4198 yet, and the IMR burns a touch faster, also the Hodgdon 4198 is one of their "extreme" line, meaning it is treated to be a lot more temperature stable than the older formula IMR.
http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html
Originally Posted by ZookaTx
Hodgdon hasn't changed the IMR 4198 to H 4198 yet, and the IMR burns a touch faster, also the Hodgdon 4198 is one of their "extreme" line, meaning it is treated to be a lot more temperature stable than the older formula IMR.
http://www.hodgdon.com/extreme.html

Thanks Zookatx.
Marketing hype. Run em' over a chronograph and show us the difference.

Does anyone really believe Hodgdon is running TWO production lines to produce the same powder ?

As in W760 and H414 ? As Barnum said.........
"Marketing hype. Run em' over a chronograph and show us the difference.
Does anyone really believe Hodgdon is running TWO production lines to produce the same powder ?
As in W760 and H414 ? As Barnum said........."

I love it when people make unsubstantiated slams at companies and want someone else to prove em wrong.
I don't have any IMR 4198, just some H, but I have spoken about the powders with folks who know the techs at Hodgdon, and I do own some H 4350 and some IMR 4350, both less than 1 1/2 years old. They not only look different, they SMELL different. And just in case you think I am a shill or something, here are pics.
[Linked Image]
H on the left, IMR on the right:
[Linked Image]

The H is not only smaller grained, it is a different color, presumably because of the coating they put on it to make it "extreme".
Hey Zooka, don't let 'em suck you in!
Interesting bullet choice, might have to try a few in my 1920.

But I'm betting it's gonna get fueled by Rel 15 or Varget.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Keep us posted on those powders please...

Just tonite I'm thinking I may try them in a post mil 308 carbine rather than the pre mil 300 since my step daughter is left handed and the tang safety would be better for her. It's heavier, but I can load it down nice for her to shoot. I should probably buy another 300 in post mil with the tang safety as a shooter and save the 99% carbine... Arg!

Thanks, Roy
grin grin You been "BIT" !!!! Don
I'm guessing Zook knows very little about powder grain construction, deterrent coating and chemical composition. The hard facts are that any reasonable load with any powder carrying the 4350 number is safe and will produce identical results in the field, regardless of how it looks, smells it even what color it is.
I use AA, IMR and H 4350 with the same load in my 270s and insofar as the deer shot behind the shoulder with a 130 SP,...... well they all die.

If you are a 1000 yard bench rester, it's fine to be anal about getting all cases, bullets, primers and powder from the same lot and spending hours prepping the cases and so on.

For the rest of us, spending more time putting bullets down range in simulated hunting conditions, staying in shape for the hunt and proper game handling after the kill is far more important than whose name is on your powder can.

Let's be honest .... we handload for fun not because we have to. Factory premium ammo today is excellent stuff and will kill anything that walks or flies if the hunter does his/her part.
interthem, to put it plainly for you...

Anybody who interchanges ANY powders without checking manufacturers suggested loads for each powder (and preferably comparing that to a 2nd source) is a moron.

I'm glad you haven't blown yourself up yet. Have a nice Holiday season.
Originally Posted by interthem
I'm guessing Zook knows very little about powder grain construction, deterrent coating and chemical composition. The hard facts are that any reasonable load with any powder carrying the 4350 number is safe and will produce identical results in the field, regardless of how it looks, smells it even what color it is.
I use AA, IMR and H 4350 with the same load in my 270s and insofar as the deer shot behind the shoulder with a 130 SP,...... well they all die.

If you are a 1000 yard bench rester, it's fine to be anal about getting all cases, bullets, primers and powder from the same lot and spending hours prepping the cases and so on.

For the rest of us, spending more time putting bullets down range in simulated hunting conditions, staying in shape for the hunt and proper game handling after the kill is far more important than whose name is on your powder can.

Let's be honest .... we handload for fun not because we have to. Factory premium ammo today is excellent stuff and will kill anything that walks or flies if the hunter does his/her part.

This post is why I don't shoot someone else's handloads. I prefer to be anal thank you.
The hard facts are that any reasonable load with any powder carrying the 4350 number is safe and will produce identical results in the field, regardless of how it looks, smells it even what color it is.

One other hard fact I'm looking at here is that you shouldn't be throwing stones at others just because YOU are the risk taker. Reloading data is published for a reason. Follow the guidlines.

Sorry, but I have to reload. Even if I wanted to shoot nothing but factory ammo, I couldn't afford to. Thank god I find it to be fun. Thank god also that all of my reloading gear has been amortized long ago, leaving me with nought but the cost of primers, powder, and lead (and an occasional c-n-c bullet).
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Sorry, but I have to reload. Even if I wanted to shoot nothing but factory ammo, I couldn't afford to.

I have to admit that I handload for fun, because I have no excuse for not buying those factory loads in 300 Savage and Nosler Partitions that my guns shoot so well.

grin
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Keep us posted on those powders please...

Just tonite I'm thinking I may try them in a post mil 308 carbine rather than the pre mil 300 since my step daughter is left handed and the tang safety would be better for her. It's heavier, but I can load it down nice for her to shoot. I should probably buy another 300 in post mil with the tang safety as a shooter and save the 99% carbine... Arg!

Thanks, Roy

42 gr of Reloader 15 under 150 Sierra Flat Base Spitzers gave me excellent groups in a couple of different EG's, and velocities of ~2620 fps. Alliant says 44 is max with 165's. I probably won't go beyond that velocity with a 99, but I may cautiously work up a bit in the 1920. I have lots of Varget on hand, and will probably switch to it (with appropriate load development) when I am out of R15.

Alliant and Hodgdon also have some new powders, like AR-Comp and CFE-223, which show some good numbers in the .308. I have three .308's, so I'll probably try them in my gas guns. With caution, they might prove nice in a .300 Savage as well.

Hummm, bad guess, Interhem.
Have you ever looked at any of the Powder Burn Rate charts published by the various manufacturers? Have you ever run same-weight loads of different lots and makers of same-number powders named 4350 or 4198 over a chronograph, all other factors equal? Or compared groups and point of impact "in the field" between those powders? Do you understand the significance of the photos I posted showing different grain diameter, length, and coating of two powders that both have "4350" in their names? Do you understand that different "reasonable loads" of different powders will group in different places and in different group sizes "in the field", which can make that 130 grain .270 bullet miss, or gut shoot your deer, especially on longer shots?
Sure, you can load any maker's 4350 or 4198 in a given gun and it'll shoot a bullet out when you pull the trigger, and can be made to shoot at a velocity that'll punch a hole in a deer without blowing up your rifle; but the simple truth is they are different, some burn hotter/slower/longer than others and some are mpore resistant to temperature changes than others. If you are playing with top-of-the curve loads the difference in manufacturers can blow up guns.If you are talking hunting loads the changes can cause misses, or lost, wounded game.
Your bringing up the concept of "reasonable" (I would think that means "well below maximum") loads for hunting now, is merely a red herring from your original (incorrect) assertion that the powders were identical.
My own testing has demonstrated that the newer powders with temperature stabilization make a difference. I won't even load (untreated) Win 748 or 760 ball powder for shooting in Texas summers any more, my results were very scary, sometimes a 4000 PSI increase in chamber pressure as indicated by chronogtraph velocity and computer modeling of those results; but Big Game and Tac, two other ball powders with temp stabilization, do not get nearly as squirrly when it is 104 degrees. They do burn hotter in the summer, but not nearly so much. RL 17 same. I have corresponded with a number of shooters and hunters who have told me of their comparisons on colder weather, between the stabilized powders and the old school formulas, and they ALL say the temp stabilization works even better at keeping velocities equal in cold temps than for very hot shooting. Some are reporting variances of only 15 fps from 80 to 30 degrees with RL17.
If you disagree with these assertions of mine, do so with some evidentiary proof beyond "my gun goes bang and when the deer is hit by the bullet it dies and my gun hasnt blown up yet". That is not rational debate, it is high school red-herring debate tricks. You started this debate by saying that same-number powders in the Hodgdon family were identical - they "came from the same production line". I proved you wrong with my experience and better yet a photo. Now it's your turn to either prove me wrong with your evidence, or accept that your assertion about the powders was incorrect, not change the subject.
Good reply Zookatx, but unnecessary (from my perspective) as your position needs no defense. It's clearly logical and correct, whereas his is not.
In other words, You da Man!
Oh a HUGE difference
max load 270 WCF generic 130 gr bullet:
IMR 55 gr
H 54.3 gr
AA 53.5 gr

Since anyone who has ever read a reloading book knows that you should always start 10% below max, you'ld really have a hard time blowing up any modern rifle.

I'll bet any of you "experts" I can take any of these MAX loads, but them behind a 130 TSX w/a CCI 250 in my BOSS M70 Super Grade and the cases will just fallout when extracted. Let's make it the Newt/Romney bet of $10,000 .... okay ?

I should warn you first that I have shot that combo with ALL these powders at 56.5 gr, cases fall out, groups are sub moa and cases (Norma) are on reload #5.
From 35 below to 85 above zero @7-10,000'.

Easy to be "an expert" when you have not done it.
Easy to think you're an expert when you are really an idiot...

Best you go educate all them folks over the the reloading forum. Some of those folks don't have the benefits of your vast expertise and experience and realllllly like to talk with folks as profoundly insightful as you.
I was going to say "a legend in his own mind" but well, its Christmas, so I won't. grin
I don't see any problems with what interthem is saying, but I do know that most of the reloaders I've met tend to be exceptional anal, slow and treat much of this as if it were voodoo.
Thanks for the vote. There are those who do and those who post what they read somewhere else.
When you get your pressure transducer and test these loads, let us all know.
In any case the 130 TSX works fine in a 99 300 Savage.
Enjoy !
Don't need a transducer, I use a computer modeling program and a chronograph. BTW what chronograph do you use on your load development, and how fast do all those loads you offered us go, out of what length barrel and with which primer and what COAL? Or do ya just glance at a factory cookbook, load em, shoot em and call it good? You were aware that at the relatively low pressure levels that Savage 300s are designed to max out at, traditional high pressure signs used for 270s, 30-06s, 5.56s, .308s etc don't show up, right?
As for "doing" (which you seem so concerned about), I just got back from an elk hunt a'horseback in the Frank Church in Idaho, shooting my new 300 WSM with the 180 grain Partition handloads I developed for it; I've shot two feral hogs on three hunts in the past month with my 458 SOCOM, and over the past few months I have worked up a bunch of different loads on a true wildcat (30-25 WSSM in an AR15 lower) for which there are zero zip nada book data, I literally started from scratch, modeled the actual cartridge dimensions into QL, loaded and shot 5 or 6 different powders and 4 different bullets, all over a chronograph, over a bunch of range trips, applied the results back into the modeling program, and went from there. I have it down to better than 30-06 speeds and sub-1 inch groups with a 180 grain Partition Protected Point. Also working on a 458 SOCOM load for the Barnes 300 TTSX but just in the early stages there. It is a tricky one because the SOCOM's max pressure is even lower than the 300 Savage's so traditional pressure signs only show up if you use pistol primers.
And one more time, there is no such thing as a "generic" 130 grain bullet; they come in all sorts of lengths. So if you load them all to the same overall length, some take up more room in the case than others. That means more pressure. The difference using for example your Hodgdon 4350 load for your 270 above between a Hornady soft point 130 and a Barnes TTSX 130, all other factors being equal, is 3500 PSI at that load. Fortunately it is also not even close to the max recommended pressure for that particular cartridge.
Why don't you all just go buy a box of Core-Locts, get off your fat asses, go shoot something behind the shoulder next year and come back here and report how it worked. Bet it won't make a [bleep] bit of difference between "SOCOM load for the Barnes 300TTSX but just in the early stages" and a .22 LR in the ear hole! The 99 has killed a lot of deer with 150's and 180's stacked in the same magazine. Geeezzz. Just enjoy your guns and what you do with them.
The reloading forum would be a good place to take this. I don't see how it relates to Savage collecting. read the thread on the 32-40 to get an idea of what works here,thats what this place is about. Listen to those blokes with all that knowledge disecting that rifle, beautiful

Johno
+10, made my second longest kill (300+ yards) on a deer some fool shot the leg off of with 130 green box Remingtons ($14.00/box) with that same 270 BOSS M70 Super Grade. It would put 5 of the "crap ammo" into less than 3" @300.

The "expert" has no idea what the real pressures in any given gun with any given 130 gr bullet is. He's just telling us what he read somewhere. Factory barrels are not the same as ballistic lab pressure barrels. You have to start with YOUR rifle, YOUR bullet and YOUR starting load.

The 130 TSX load with 4198 in my R and EG (as well as several friends 99s) is a perfect example. You'll never see any "expert" writing in a gun magazine suggesting that combination, BUT facts are facts and targets, chronographs and dead deer sized game is the proof of the load.

He's just another "expert" who has to be right, so let him be.
Man.. what a way to ruin the holiday season. Suspected it, took 2 minutes to find out for sure.

Larry/Oldman/Framis/etc. is back again. Mr. Expert of all things.
Hey guys, my bad. I should have asked about the 300 Savage load elsewhere. I thought of you guys first since it was specifically a Savage 99 I am loading for, and they are different than bolt guns. And those reloading/bolt gun guys are/aren't real _____________.
Oh, you mean Mr Layaway.
Fireball2, perfect place to ask about loads. Happens about once or twice a month here.

But we'd been Larry free for about 6 months. He's been banned from this site about two dozen times, but he keeps coming back in with a new name and using his super-nifty internet ninja proxy routing software to foil Rick Bin's ban of his IP addresses.

But while we have him here....

Larry, what the heck did you do to get banned from gunbroker? Didn't think that was possible, but you managed. What's the story?
Notice he's still on other sites AKA wymtnrange. Tom
Sorry, gents, I got "sucked in" and wandered far from the original subject. My apologies. Just one last thing, back on the original topic/ question. Fireball, and those others who may try that "generic 4198" and 130 grain Barnes load mentioned on page 1, just be aware that it is a max load in QuickLoad, peak pressure with the IMR version is predicted to be slightly over 53,000 psi, which might be dicey in a 50 year old gun spec'd at 52,000 max in the factory....
This thread should have had a disclaimer-

Caution-

Since we are Lurker-rich here at the Fire, be aware that this topic may flush Larry(s) into participating.

Any Larry-like activity should be carefully scrutinized for B.S. content.

Confirmed Larry postings should be immediately reported to the moderator for de-Larryizing.

By the way, who's Larry? grin
My disclaimer is that I'm new but perhaps that's a plus in that I can offer an unbiased observation:

interthem and ZookTx; Both of you seem to have a fair bit, in fact quite a bit of knowledge and experience relative to reloading. Perhaps one is more educated, meticulous, and/or experienced, etc. than the other in reloading. From at least my point of view, who gives a rip? I perceive both of you at a much higher level than me as the only knowledge I have of it is what I've been reading on this board, including from the both of you in this thread! But it's getting/gotten personal.

What I'm getting at is that the two of you probably have more in common than you think. You both reload, both are here in the Savage forum, both like to hunt, and neither has blown yourself up cause you're both still here typing away. crazy This combination probably represents far less than 1% of the population with a common ground.

Okay, maybe I have the tinted glasses on and just like to see everyone sit around the fire singing Kum-by-ya but can't we all just get along? whistle
Hey fellas.. I was just jokin' about the Core-Lokts. I don't reload so I had to have something to interject! smile
Originally Posted by Big_Iron
Hey fellas.. I was just jokin' about the Core-Lokts. I don't reload so I had to have something to interject! smile

Funny how "Corelokt's" and "jokin'" always seem to end up in the same sentence.

Sorry, too good to let go by unmolested laugh laugh laugh
I deserved that after my rude post last night.

Actually.. on our little Blacktail here, 150 Grain Corelokts at .300 Savage velocity do just fine. I got a bear this year with my .250 and I had it sighted in with 100 Grain Silvertips.

I've got no excuse. I need to get my reloading stuff set up.
I still love the 130gr TTSX

[Linked Image]
Thats a nice looking buck. It looks fat. I love hunting pictures with an old Savage in them.
Here's another buck, same rifle, same bullet

[Linked Image]
Those lead chuckers had me convinced I couldn't kill a deer with anything but homemade lead. Man oh man am I confused.
A 130gr TTSX from a 300 Savage stopped a north bound hog with Massatwoshitts shot with aplomb.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

150grn rem corelokt on sambar deer. Just a terrible bullet, would'nt use em again LOL
Johno[Linked Image]
So let me get this straight, you shot that little twinkie where?! And killed it with a lead free projectile?
I can hear 'em now- "Cup n core this, home cast that"

Nuff said....
Well duh, they're easier to kill when they got no heads! grin
Cheerio shot, aka Massachusetts, aka Massatwoshitts, aka AZZHOLE
You seem a little too familiar with the vernacular for that shot. Maybe you should sight your guns in to shoot 6" higher... You forgot Texas heart shot and my personal favorite-
The Liberal Shot
Bottom line: shoot what you have confidence in. Pretty much any darn gun and cartridge ever made can concievably kill a deer.

I used to be super anal about hand loading. Then I wised up and sat back and had fun with it.

Steeelhead,
Excellent buck and beautiful gun and by the way that is a world class photo to boot! i have some of those 130s awaiting me out in the loading room. Hope to add my own pic soon!
Just fill the cases full, scrape off the extra, seat whatever bullet you have the most of and go hunting.
130 TTSX

These ain't playin' possum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took another last weekend, guesstimated weight around 175, but no pictures. Sorry. wink

BP...
C'mon now, give up the load info on that Barnes 130!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
C'mon now, give up the load info on that Barnes 130!

Stick a firecracker in the case, fuse towards primer, and seat the TTSX. grin

BP...
Originally Posted by johno
150grn rem corelokt on sambar deer. Just a terrible bullet, would'nt use em again LOL
Johno[Linked Image]

That's pretty impressive. Them corelokts blew both them deers heads clean off, horns and all.

Nice shooting wink
And gutted em also, great bullet
Sambar are big animals, and noted for there toughness. But these two were bang flop at around 130yds, both one shot kills

Johno
Hey Boilerpig, are those 2 a double? Nice!
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
130 TTSX

These ain't playin' possum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took another last weekend, guesstimated weight around 175, but no pictures. Sorry. wink

BP...

They look so peaceful there all bloodied in a pile in the dirt, snuggled up and all.
Those Sambar do look pretty damn big. Guess the Corelokt works on stuff a little bigger than our puny blacktail!
Good pics. If the Barnes bullets didn't cost more than Partitions, and if I didn't get MOA out of Partitions...

I'd think about trying them. grin

I do like the thought of 130gr ballistics and great penetration. Ain't nothing wrong with the ideas or execution.

I also have to consider whether it might jinx my EG. Don't mess with success!

[Linked Image]
Mike the bigger of the two is what i'd call half grown. They are only young deer for the freezer. Ive take them with my 358win also, nosler 225grn partitions & barnes 200grn TSX. Both are very good bullets, but the old corelokt has been a champion bullet in everything the 222rem upwards

Johno
That's very cool. I need to take better pictures...
Johno.. HALF GROWN? Those are like Elk then. I shoot some ammo for my .358 loaded with Accubonds. They work well on pigs. That is an animal that I haven't shot with Corelokts. I see you're from Austrailia. You have boar there. Have you shot any with Corelokts?
Calhoun.. That is a very nice buck. You guys and your fat buck Whitetail/99 pictures are awesome. I'm gonna come whitetail hunting someday.

I can't figure out how to load pictures up here.
Once upon a time long long ago, well you know how it goes. Back in the 70s fox skins were worth big money, I was averaging $38.00 a skin, took 76 in 6 nights, they were from out west and only went $22.00 a skin. But the condition of access was to shoot the pigs, my mate and I shot over 70 in 3 days, all 130grn corelokts from the 270, yes I had a sore shoulder

Johno
Talking of bullet size, velocity, and placement, the biggest pig I've seen taken went down with a 100 grain .243 Win thru the heart. It took 3 men to drag, and lift up onto a Bumper Buddy (which it almost broke). We guesstimated 400 lbs. And I know lots of poor folk who learned to take whitetails with a .22 LR. Heck all the 300 Magnums really do for elk better than the 300 Savage is make it so you can shoot from 100-150 yards farther out than the 300 Savage with the same bullet.... if you the shooter can handle that much longer of a shot!

Johno, those Sambars look delicious!
And that great Nebraska buck is definitely corn fed, Calhoun. They built a big dam/lake east of me in Texas in the 1970s , Granger Lake. The Corps of Engineers had to take a ton of surrounding farmland because it is pretty flat there for a lake, and they brought in Nebraska deer as an experiment on the Corps land. You can still get 250 lb bucks in that place, even though 10 miles away the central Texas bucks max out at 120 to 140. Good genes!
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd bring It up again.

So far 150 grain Remington CL factory loads are hard to beat for accuracy in my 'new to me' 99. The only load I've tried so far that seems to be possibly equal is H4895 and 150 grain Horn IL's.

I have a box of 130 grain TTSX's that I just opened. and thought I'd try those. I'm not interested in maximum velocity, but am interested in accuracy and reasonable velocity.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of published data with TTSX's and the 300, so I found the start of this thread interesting. (Not so much whose dong is the biggest part though.)

Both Ken Waters and Nosler claim 40 grains of IMR4895 and 150 grain Hornady (and 150 grain Nosler PT) to be the best for accuracy and I am impatiently waiting for the FedEx to delivery. I've ordered IMR4350 and will try that. The benefits of living far from the city out ways the disadvantages of going down to the store and picking up components, IMHO.

I have found that Hornady IL and Remington CL's to be very good bullets for game (and for accuracy) in many cartridges. I've never found IMR4895 to be equal to H4895 in accuracy. I'm hoping that this trial will prove that the IMR powder bests the H4895 in this rifle.

BTW, I had a bunch of 308 cases around (and no longer own a 308) so I formed 50 into 300 Savage. I needed to buy a SB sizing die and screw the die in past where it contacted the ram to get the cases to function in my rifle.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12906556/99-hog
Not sure how to how to bring up old post, but link is above. Dead pig using 300Sav. with 130 ttsx
Read the whole post top to bottom and thought to myself:

What ever became of Larry Root...?
Originally Posted by 99guy
Read the whole post top to bottom and thought to myself:

What ever became of Larry Root...?

lol, Just be glad we're not subjected to his crap any more!

Lee
Who in the hell is Larry Root?
He was a major troll with a combative personality (kind of like Big Stick). RickB kicked him off the 'Fire numerous times but he kept coming back with different user names. Let's hope he stays gone for good.
WOW!

If anyone thinks H 4350 and IMR 4350 is the same bird, look at reloading for the 348 Winchester.

Then please explain it 2 me.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Angus1895
WOW!

If anyone thinks H 4350 and IMR 4350 is the same bird, look at reloading for the 348 Winchester.

Then please explain it 2 me.

Thanks!

Don't be like that. It makes your butt look fat.
I have a 99-300 Savage. I have a couple of boxes of 130 TTSX and H4895. The Barnes manual says 40 to 44 grains. Im going to load a few 40’s, a few 41’s, up to the 44’s. I’m hoping the 44’s work well, book shows velocity at 2945. That’s not bad for a little case like the 300 Savage. It would be a fine pig popper.
300 savage 130 ttsx with various powders, primers, cases and so on in a 1935 savage 99. Hundreds of articles. All of these threads and barely any discussion of overall length. There's gotta be some general concensus by now. 2.576? 2.587? What seems to be working?
© 24hourcampfire