Home
I was wondering if anyone in here shot the leverevolution in comparison with the 300 savage. They seem like they would be pretty close in comparison.
In with the new out with the old. I'm too old to change. A 30-30 is a 30-30 pretty much no matter what you do to it. I haven't shot a round of factory ammo that I purchased in over 40 years. A .300 Savage OTOH hand can and is a pretty potent round. IMO a better comparison would be a .300 Sav and a .308 Win. However, a 30-30 will kill a deer very dead. The reason Hornady Leverevolution came to market was to strip you of your money. JMO.
I've tried the 30-30's hornady's this year. They were on sale for 17 bucks a box, and I was impressed. However the only gun I took in the woods this year was my 250-3000. Now that deer season is over I'm just starting to pay attention to my other guns.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
However the only gun I took in the woods this year was my 250-3000.

Good man. That's the only gun you NEED to take in the woods. grin grin
I absolutely love it, I just bought it at the start of the season, so I haven't had much time to see what it can do. I'm hoping to bag a few yotes with it in the off season.
Tried some Leverevolution in my old Savage model 170, kicked alot harder than other factory loads.
i took an addax with my 3030 and leverevolution. 1 shot drt. shoots very great out of my 99! stocked up befor it is discontued.
Wonder if Graf's could get Hornady to make up some LeverEvolution for 303 Savage? grin
Seems logical that this 30/30 round is closer than it's ever been to a 300 Savage. New powder technology may help, don't know first hand, and bullet shape surely helps. Savage case should be several grains larger though, so a lot to overcome for the 30/30.
Hunted with that round one year, found it shot 6 in higher in my gun than regular 30-30 rounds at 100yds. Killed a nice buck with it, didn't get a pass through at 60 yds but that buck died pretty much where he stood. I like how it shoots out of my oldest 99, so that's what I run through it. I only used it one year because the same year I bought my 308 and haven't used anything else to kill a deer since,except a button buck I killed in self defense on the last day this season with my 300 and iron sights(5 yards on a dead right at me).

MM
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
... a button buck I killed in self defense on the last day this season with my 300 and iron sights(5 yards on a dead right at me).

MM

Lucky to be alive today my friend! grin wink
I have shot it in a few 99s seems to kick harder and shot about 4 inchs higher, than the remmy stuff, also grouped well!
I've also shot the leverevolution in 35 Rem and have the bruises to prove it.

Don't be putting those in your Stevens 425's!
I load FTX bullets in 30-30 and 35Remington. Pretty potent. I'm not very experienced with my 99's in 300Sav yet, but I don;t think the lever ammo is too much of a threat to the cartridge.
Therein lies a tale. Don't be stingy now, mate. We're all waitin'!
I shot 2 bucks this year, one in canada and one in PA, along with raising my own beef so my freezer was absolutely packed. I went out on the last day with my 300 sav with iron sights and swore I'd do no more shooting unless it was in self defense. Well as it normally happens I was a driver and heard some shooting from the standers about 300 yds away up a steep hill. So I stop and listen, hear some noise coming down the hill toward me, then a deer pops out and runs right down the game trail I'm on. I keep thinking its gonna see me and it never did. It wasn't a hip shot but I can't say I aimed much either. Drilled it dead center in the chest and I think the poor little guy was dead before he hit the ground. I'm sure I could have held my rifle with one hand and loaded the deer on the wheeler with the other(65 pounds tops). As a sidenote though I ground the meat( all 25 pounds!) and took it to a butcher that makes cheese filled hot dogs out of the meat, that stuff is like crack for fat guys.

God bless
MM
Hmmm... Last night I loaded up a pile of .30/30's with 150 grain plain base lead bullets & a smidgen of Bullseye powder, velocity �1150 fps. I call them my "Counter-revolution" loads. Ideal for self defense against rampaging bunny rabbits, rabid weasels, and determined sparrows. smile
I'd put a bayonett on the end of that rifle if I'm going up against bunny rabbits, they've been know to kill. I saw a documentary on the subjecti t was called,Monty python and the holy,,, something, I can't remeber. All I can recall is a lot of blood and furry ears. I'll keep you in my prayers.

MM

Originally Posted by Irving_D
I was wondering if anyone in here shot the leverevolution in comparison with the 300 savage. They seem like they would be pretty close in comparison.

I got a notice from Hornady just yesterday and it seems they're offering 17 Hornet ammunition loaded with the newer high energy powders. They claim a velocity of 3650 fps with a 20 Grain V max. I built a 17 Hornet and never got more than 3350 fps with any powder in mine with the same bullet. They might be on to something with these powders huh?
No need to compare..... cool
[Linked Image]
117 years & those "other" leverguns are still trying to catch up , they never will.

Mike
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I shot 2 bucks this year, one in canada and one in PA, along with raising my own beef so my freezer was absolutely packed. I went out on the last day with my 300 sav with iron sights and swore I'd do no more shooting unless it was in self defense. Well as it normally happens I was a driver and heard some shooting from the standers about 300 yds away up a steep hill. So I stop and listen, hear some noise coming down the hill toward me, then a deer pops out and runs right down the game trail I'm on. I keep thinking its gonna see me and it never did. It wasn't a hip shot but I can't say I aimed much either. Drilled it dead center in the chest and I think the poor little guy was dead before he hit the ground. I'm sure I could have held my rifle with one hand and loaded the deer on the wheeler with the other(65 pounds tops). As a sidenote though I ground the meat( all 25 pounds!) and took it to a butcher that makes cheese filled hot dogs out of the meat, that stuff is like crack for fat guys.

That was funny. My butcher makes some "Cheesy Jalapeno Dogs" for me out of wild boar. They're crack for fat guys too!

God bless
MM
In the deer woods, it's very difficult to beat "PERFECTION"... namely a Model 99 (EG) in .300 Savage caliber. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron, I hate to break the news to you but there are a plethora of other Savage models and chamberings that are equally as good! grin smile wink
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ron, I hate to break the news to you but there are a plethora of other Savage models and chamberings that are equallyALMOST as good! grin smile wink

There, I fixed fo ya............. cool grin
Seems like there's a huge variety of powders for the .308, and anything that works well in the .308 oughta work well in the .300 Savage - with care working up loads, of course. I think the .300 is going to have at least 200 fps over any of the hottest .30-30 loads.

That said, people generally use .300 Savages for the aesthetic pleasure of hunting with classic rifles, and are unlikely to go buy a Marlin with Leverevolution loads, to replace their .300.

Now people who are not rifle loonies, and own one gun, a .30-30 LVR loads are a pretty neat deal.
The .30-30 has never had a problem with velocity...in it's heyday it was a "high velocity" round. More velocity is great, to a point, and that point is accuracy. In most of the .30-30's I've encountered (Winchester and Marlin) the accuracy just wasn't there. 3" at 100 yds was about all you could depend on. So the flattened trajectory that the new ammunition supposedly offers, is useless unless you find a good, make that very good, .30-30 to shoot it. The pointy, gummy tipped bullet does not improve trajectory till you're beyond 200 yds in practical terms. It's a fix (in my opinion) to a non-existent problem.

Now if there's a Savage 99 in .30-30 out there, that one of the brethren is willing to experiment with this new-fangled ammo, I'd be willing to listen. All kidding aside, it's a very rare Winchester or Marlin that will even come close to a Savage for accuracy and I've got an even dozen of those off-makes to back up my claim. Any of you .30-30 Savage 99 owners have any accuracy data on your pieces? The .300 is a proven performer...how 'bout the .30-30?

OTOH, a 300 Savage in the venerable 99 is famous for its accuracy and doesn't need gimmick bullets to make it work. I've posted here before on the 300 and my example (a 300-99 EG built in '52) routinely puts 3 shots into an inch at 100 yds. Hornady's Sierra's, Speer's, even M1 Carbine 110 gr FMJ's will shoot that well. I've found 2600 fps or a little more, is easy with a 150 grainer...and 2700 is not out of range. And padnuh, that's plenty enuf for the lower 48.

Rod
How about 2600 fps hornady ftx 160gr from a .300 savage?

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/300_savage.pdf

I nominate rod to be our guinnea pig and test it out for us smile
In my Marlin 336 carbine (20"), I get 2300 fps at best with the 30-30 LeverEvolution. In my Savage 99EG with a 24" tube, I get over 2600 fps with 150 grain 300 Savage loads. I did take a nice 6x6 bull with the LE round in 2006. 110 yards, quartering away slightly and he dropped where he stood. Entry behind right shoulder, blew up the heart, took out a lion share of both lungs and lodged in the offside shoulder roast. In regard to the .303 post, the LE bullets are available from Hornady as a component item and Hodgen offer LE powder. I would think the 30-30 data would do but, as usual, start low and work up. Be aware there are two different .308 bullets available from Hornady, one specifically for the 30-30 and one for the .308 MX. The crimp rings are located differently to accomodate proper COL. Hope this helps, Larry
[quote=antiacus]How about 2600 fps hornady ftx 160gr from a .300 savage?

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/300_savage.pdf

I did not see where 2600 fps is listed going to the above link?
Second page there's a chart of powders and load data. 2600fps is the max listed for several.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Second page there's a chart of powders and load data. 2600fps is the max listed for several.

Duh...blind in one eye and cannot see out the other! Thanks. I did note the
projectile they are showing is the same one they use their factory 30-30 loads
and not the one they use in the .308 Marlin Express load.
I've been wondering about loading .303 Savage rounds with the LeverEvolution Powder. Pressures within limits and it should be able to get 150-200 fps more with 170 grainers or maybe even use the 160 grain LeverEvolution bullets. That would be a 160 grain bullet at around 2,600 fps in a 26" barrel. I keep thinking that if I'm going to do that, why not just use a .300 Savage?
Here's the load data for the 160gr FTX bullets in a 30-30 from Hornady. Maxes out around 2100fps, would also apply to the 303 Savage (work up carefully from a starting load).

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/30-30_win_ftx.pdf

Oddly, Hodgdon lists a max of 2380fps with that combo on their web site. Can get 2512fps with a 150gr flatnose, which is pretty darned good.
© 24hourcampfire