Home
Posted By: 1899sav Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
How Many Have a Climbing Lyman 21 on there Savage!
Here another New addition.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: boltman Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
Steve - very, very cool addition. No I don't have one but I sure wish I could have grabbed that one. That sight would have really inspired me when it came to pulling my wallet out wink
Posted By: saddlering Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
I have one also! I know Mike in Long Island also has one!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
There was one on GB not too long ago... Bidding got too high for me as I recall the rest of the gun was pretty hoo-hum... Nice grab
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
Poor Steve Is still waiting to get it!! The week after Christmas(read tapped out) I stopped in to a shop and there it was. 1899A 303 with a good portion of its high luster left, no cracks or sling studs and a shiny bore.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very nice , i got the one off Gun broker, but just ended up buying the sight! its going on a 38-55 custom, im working on, that was rough, and the barrel had been cut! Given to me by a close friend!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
Ya, there out there, i have one on a 1899H, i know Fug has a few they dont have them listed in Strobuls (sp) gunsight book. Any one had theres off and see what the markings on the back are?? Don
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
Steve has one off the gun... He had it at a Savage fest...I don't recall the stamp but it is unique to the 99
Mines not on a gun just stamped S A no other marking, but the running deer on the front!
Posted By: BillR Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
I have one that was taken off an 1899 303 SRC years ago. Have contemplated having it put on a rifle but it currently just sits in a parts box.
BillR
Posted By: boltman Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/15/12
It would be very hard to make the decision to tap the holes needed to mount the sight. I don't know that I have ever run across a rifle that had the tap holes but no sight.
Posted By: 99trix Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by boltman
I don't know that I have ever run across a rifle that had the tap holes but no sight.

This one only has one hole but I wonder if it was for a climbing lyman? It already has a tang sight mounted on the wrist, so I don't know why it would have been drilled.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sava...6Ntt%3D1895%2Bsavage&Ntt=1895+savage

Posted By: boltman Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
Wow - that is one ugly hole. As we know, they did make a sight to mount on the wrist, but that sure isn't it. I do agree that the hole in the receiver hole looks about right for a climbin Lyman. That rifle is a great example of a rifle that I sure ain't interested in.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
A friend told me about the one, above, and another friend pointed out the second dovetail in the barrel, and his thoughts were that the hole and dovetail were for a malcome type scope & mount. just passing on some info! from some friends!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
John, from the marks above and below the hole and the dovetail location I would agree that it has had a long tube scope on it.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
Wow - that is one ugly hole. As we know, they did make a sight to mount on the wrist, but that sure isn't it. I do agree that the hole in the receiver hole looks about right for a climbin Lyman. That rifle is a great example of a rifle that I sure ain't interested in.

you sure that is not the tang site for the wrist of an 1895?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
That Tang sight looks just like the one i have on my 1895, that i bought off Elwood,some years back. Don
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/16/12
yeah, I think that Boltman is thinking of the big curvy jobber he had and shows with the rubber band holding it on... but I was under the impression that the tang site on the gun linked is right for the 1895.

That gun also has two big tang cracks... it was for sale on GB for a lot less before that seller dropped it with Cabelas. I look at a lot of guns but I remember the interesting ones and am certain of this... I actually have had several PM chats with board members on that gun many months ago. Makes you wonder if the tang site is ACTUALLY original to the gun as delivered and the scope was added later and was used with the tang sight folded down? Or was the scope set-up first and the tang added later...

I am also a little confused on how the malcolms mount as I thought they normally used the front dovetail and the screw in the side of the receiver but then why the additional dove tail?

anyways....
Posted By: boltman Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by lovemy99

I guess it would be interesting to see what letters are marked on the underside of that tang sight. Don - what is marked on the underside of yours? I have learned something today as I have never seen a tang sight mounted on a wrist of a M1895. The only wood mounted one I was aware of was the one that is mounted much further back. And that one sort of made sense for someone who wanted a sight close to their eye. That model is more commonly found on Winchesters. Back to the one mounted on the M1895 wrist - this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose confused
Posted By: Loggah Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
Steve, I had it off years agobut cant remember the markings at the moment, Rick said it was correct, I'll take it off tomorrow and get the letter code. Don
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12

I guess it would be interesting to see what letters are marked on the underside of that tang sight. Don - what is marked on the underside of yours? I have learned something today as I have never seen a tang sight mounted on a wrist of a M1895. The only wood mounted one I was aware of was the one that is mounted much further back. And that one sort of made sense for someone who wanted a sight close to their eye. That model is more commonly found on Winchesters. Back to the one mounted on the M1895 wrist - this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose confused

Mine are Marked S21
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12

Back to the one mounted on the M1895 wrist - this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose confused

Maybe they had not convinced Lyman to make a whole new tang sight designed to fit the holes they had set-up for them yet??

When do tang sights that fit the factory holes first show up in catalogs or advertisements?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
"...this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose ".

Because this is the first Lyman tang sight made for the 1895. They are marked "SA". There was not one available yet that mounted using the Savage tang screw holes. We have seen several 1895's with the screw holes in the wood and a few that still had the sight mounted.

Lyman probably used a sight made for another rifle (Marlin, Stevens...) with some small modification till they could produce one to fit the factory holes.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
Elwood used to have one of those on his 1895.

I still have one that uses the wood screws on my desk that is stamped SA underneath.
Joe,Thats the one i own now ,got it off Elwood!! Don
Ah, o.k., ya I've got a couple pics of that gun, very nice.
Hey, heres a pic of Dons gun and a pic of my SA 1895 tang sight.

Anyone here with a sharp eye see a similarity thats probably not just a coincidence?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 99trix Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
Yup, plain as day! wink
Wierd that they would make them like that huh?

And they can only go in one way so it's not like someone put them in backwards.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by Rick99
"...this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose ".

Because this is the first Lyman tang sight made for the 1895. They are marked "SA". There was not one available yet that mounted using the Savage tang screw holes. We have seen several 1895's with the screw holes in the wood and a few that still had the sight mounted.

Lyman probably used a sight made for another rifle (Marlin, Stevens...) with some small modification till they could produce one to fit the factory holes.

i foundan 1899A ser32,xxx that originaly had a tang sight on the wrist but now wears one on the tang,,i presumed that it wore a winchester one but now am changing my mind,. if i ever get the gun i will ask if there is not only the rear sight [thinks he has it ] but the old tang as well ,
Do we have any examples of what we believe to be correct tang sights mounted in this same location on M1899's?
For those who hadn't seen the pictures of the tang sight referred to earlier, here goes. This is the only style tang sight I am aware of that was made to fit on the wrist of a M1899. Note that the holes would be located much further down on the wrist than the M1895 tang sight. Norm - where were the holes on the one you saw?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
That sight brings a whole new dimension to potentially shooting your eye out! wink
Posted By: 99trix Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
From the 1897 catalogue

[Linked Image]

Blair
Posted By: norm99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
For those who hadn't seen the pictures of the tang sight referred to earlier, here goes. This is the only style tang sight I am aware of that was made to fit on the wrist of a M1899. Note that the holes would be located much further down on the wrist than the M1895 tang sight. Norm - where were the holes on the one you saw?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that looks about right,its been about 3 months since i looked at it
I know where theres one of those S1S's, just haven't gotten around to coming to a price on it, the guy also has a Lyman SJ which I've never seen before either.
Joe,I had two of those eye punchers, one for a savage and one for a Winchester model 1895, i traded the Winchester one to a friend who collects sights,said W12 something on the base.I couldent even shoulder the rifle without having that thing in my eye !!!!! crazy crazy.Don
Thats pretty much all I want it for to Don.

I've got one here now thats stamped S2S and then stamped 1914 beside it. Kinda neat that they stamped the model # into the sight as well.
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Thats pretty much all I want it for to Don.

I've got one here now thats stamped S2S and then stamped 1914 beside it. Kinda neat that they stamped the model # into the sight as well.

Don - I have shouldered a couple Winchester M1894's with this sight. The sight sure does provide a tremendous open field of view!

By the way, it would be interesting to know if your M1895 Winchester was shipped with that sight. Only about one in ten M1895's were tapped for tang sight.
Steve, The sight was one i bought separate some years back, i just put it on the rifle to see how it fit me ,it didnt !! smile i didn't screw it down just held it in place with my hand.:) Don
Be a great sight to fit to a .405 eek
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
"...stamped S2S and then stamped 1914 beside it."

Joe, the early version is only marked "S2S" and is for the early 1903's. The tang and wood was changed on later rifles and so they made a shorter based sight. You have the later sight which is marked "S2S 1914". GeneB can give you more details on the subject. He is one that told me.
Hmmm, thanks Rick, don't think Gene ever told me that but maybe he did, I think I must have ate to many lead based paint chips when I was younger or something cause I can't remember jack**** anymore.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Climbing Lyman #21 - 01/17/12
yeah, couldn't be all the beer could it MD!! laugh laugh

Having one myself right now!!
They claim drinking out of Aluminum cans will do that, stick with the bottles! grin
Oh oh, I drink cans all winter, to hard to pack bottles on the snowmachine. It's a one hour ride into camp on the sleds!
© 24hourcampfire