Home
Posted By: RAS Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
Since I have started the threads, figured we needed a place for these lowly rifles. Here is my only one at the moment. Bubba (H&H Zehner) was a German gunsmith shop who worked out of Frankfurt in the 1950s. I know a fella here in VA who knows of this shops line of work from work on Mausers and shotguns. He will see it this weekend and let me know what he can. Never heard of him doing a 99. Anyways, lets see yours.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9674-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9618.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9614.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9616.jpg[/img]
Posted By: velcro Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
Now thats what I,m talkin bout
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
I remember this rifle! grin grin grin

LRF Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Minnesota USA
Nor me, rifle wasn't anything special...no collector value, no names of importance attached to the custom work done. If you have seen one of these you have seen many. Assembly line customization.
Posted By: RAS Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
Turn back up? That Zehner thing was a hoax. I just finished it tonight. My first shot at custom work. Everything was cool after I figured out what a file was. smile And the Randall pictured did a lot to help.

I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good.
I sure wish people weren't so hell bent on ruining fine original 99's. What's wrong with a plain old EG?
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
ppppffffffffffffffttttt!!!

I got one that is way more better , engraved it with my pocket knife , pics soon...

Mike
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by RAS
Since I have started the threads, figured we needed a place for these lowly rifles. Here is my only one at the moment. Bubba (H&H Zehner) was a German gunsmith shop who worked out of Frankfurt in the 1950s. I know a fella here in VA who knows of this shops line of work from work on Mausers and shotguns. He will see it this weekend and let me know what he can. Never heard of him doing a 99. Anyways, lets see yours.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9674-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9618.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9614.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_9616.jpg[/img]

I SEEN WORSE!
Posted By: JeffG Re: Bubba 99s - 01/26/12
Originally Posted by 6mm250
ppppffffffffffffffttttt!!!

I got one that is way more better , engraved it with my pocket knife , pics soon...

Mike

Yup, here's my home whittled wondergun 250EG. I'm gonna send it to Steve (or Jeff) to engrave for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lotta work there...
Posted By: Recruit Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
That there is one nice looking rifle RAS!

What kind of knife is that in your 7th photo? She's a beauty too.
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
I believe the knife is a randall, only a short 4 year waiting list to get one of those. You can buy them from other people than the manufacturer but you're going to be paying some premium $. I've been making some knives and I've been modeling my blades after one of their big game skinners. Mine isn't near that pretty though.

MM
Posted By: RAS Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
Recruit,

That is a stag horn Randall. Another hobby. Where in MI are you located? I grew up in the St Clair Shores / Clinton Township area. I hear you guys aren't getting the white stuff that much this year.

Jeff
Posted By: boltman Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
Here is a real H H Zehner that I own:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
RAS

I'll give you $100 american for that knife,,,,,I'll be waiting for your reply of acceptance ,,,,,,maybe quite a while.

MM
Sure, no sweat. Shipping will be $475 for a total of $575. smile
Posted By: Recruit Re: Bubba 99s - 01/27/12
Originally Posted by RAS
Recruit,

That is a stag horn Randall. Another hobby. Where in MI are you located? I grew up in the St Clair Shores / Clinton Township area. I hear you guys aren't getting the white stuff that much this year.

Jeff

Jeff; Not far at all from where you grew up. I live in Lake Orion but grew up in Shelby Township. I remember when Lakeside Mall and the entire metropolis now surrounding it was all farm fields.

I'll have to keep my eye out for a Randall. Perhaps I'll get lucky and see one at a flea market or garage sale one day for $20 smile
I remember when we used to kill a pile of pheasants on a farm near Lakeside in the 80s. I was just a kid but I felt like I was in Montana or something. Once we kicked up a big buck and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I think it is all fast food joints now...
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
One I am presently working on. Notice the detail of the inlet work,hi lighted checkeing, finely fit recoil pad, etc. Would maybe consider trading for RAS's.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
Might be a good deal if it comes with a barrel !!! laugh
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
I am keeping the barrel,was the reason I bought this dog. Its a 410 Savage. wink
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
Are the 410's single feeders or repeaters? Thought I read they were single shots.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
Singles
I've thought a bit about the 375 doing double duty as a close range grouse gun with shot capsules. Never took the idea anywhere. Why wouldn't it work to some degree, if components were available?
Posted By: boltman Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've thought a bit about the 375 doing double duty as a close range grouse gun with shot capsules. Never took the idea anywhere. Why wouldn't it work to some degree, if components were available?

The main issue is the shot bouncing down a rifled barrel with no choke. However, I suppose, "to some degree" it would work. I used to have a T/C Contender and had a .410/.45 Colt barrel for it. I was able to bust clay pigeons with it but I think the screw in choke made all the difference. Way back in the day, shot cartridges were available for a lot of lever repeaters - actually just about all of them. I have seen factory shot cartridges in .32/20, .38/40, .44/40, .38/56, .45/70, .50/95 and so on. Of course, rifles could be ordered with smooth bore barrels as well. I used to have a Winchester M1886 .45/70 deluxe lightweight takedown in .45/70 smoothbore. What a great lightweight grouse gun! However I never used it for that. It was very high condition and had to live life as a safe queen. Here is a .50/95 shot cartridge I have (I sure wish I had the smoothbore Winchester M1876 that went with it smile -
[Linked Image]
This is an explanation of how to make shotguns out of your rifle cartridges. To view this, copy it and do a search with it. Should pull right up. Interesting article.

home.earthlink.net/~mhclary/ShotLoadsForFirearms.pdf
Posted By: campfirecreampuff Re: Bubba 99s - 01/29/12
That stock maybe one of the rare factory "arrow head" jobs I've heard of but never seen lol!
© 24hourcampfire