Home
Posted By: Calhoun Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
Hit a local gunshow today, passed up two nice 99A's in 243 for $500 each, probably should have bought them as trading fodder. Picked up some ammo, brass, copy of Koller's Shots at Whitetails. Kind of wondering if anybody can date the UMC 35 Remington box I got? Says Remington on it, so figure it's late 1910's or maybe 1920's?

Yeah, not Savage.. but it was in such good shape it called to me. 20 pieces of Peters 303 Savage brass for $5 was nice as well as a few singles I found.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: johno Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
Well not gun show news, but I did get a message from a bloke asking if I still shot a 250-3000. Told him yep I do. Sent me 100 new win cases & about the same number of once loaded cases. FREE.

Johno
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
Sweet.. nothing better than free! grin
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
....and the Crib board??????
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
Grabbed that at a sporting goods store on the way home for $5. Teaching my kids to play.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
Just this month played for the first time with my 9yr old Son. Is "a pair of Mop squeezers"(queens) Politically correct???? smile
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/18/12
I love going to the shows and finding the small stuff. "Shots at Whitetails" is one of the all-time great deer hunting books. Good finds Rory.

Rod
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
Hey Rory,
Did those two 99A's have sights?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
One was missing the front sight, not sure about the rear. They were both wearing Leupold VX-III's which you could get with the gun for $300 more.
Those are the ones I saw(and took home with me). You can come visit if you like.... wink
I'll trade you a premil 99F in 243 for the worse one.. grin

Good grab!
Hey, I just might....
You don't want my premil 243.. Trust me.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
Phil beat me to it... "Shots at Whitetails" remains a classic read for those of us who enjoy shooting vintage rifles and hunting deer. Good find.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
sounds like some good scores!
Have read the Koller book a few times through. That is always enterntaining.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
I went to a 500+ table show Saturday. Bought 4 ea. new very nice empty wood cigar boxes (pistol boxes?), 2 ea. 100 round plastic cartridge boxes for the next p-dog hunt and 4 ea. CR123 batterys ($2 each vs. $8 local). Very few guns there that even had wood stocks...a sea of black guns. $15 for gas, $10 to get in...not a good day. Weather was nice. frown
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
Originally Posted by Calhoun
[Linked Image]

Rory, you have a "split logo" box...UMC on one side and Remington on the other. This is the first box style used after UMC/Remington combined in 1911. By 1916 the logo was combined together in one circle on the left. Nice box.
Thanks for dating it, Rick.

PS: Now I'm going to have to choose between a Savage 170 and a Marlin to go with it. grin
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Gunshow finds.. - 02/19/12
Get the Marlin. wink
© 24hourcampfire