Home
Posted By: nash22 Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/25/12
Picked up this scope in a set of Stith mounts for a 99. Scope is useable, but a little cloudy. Was wondering if it would be be worth sending in for repair and if it is, where would one send it?

nash
You might try Parson's or Ironsight. Do a google and they both should come up. Sorry, too lazy just now to dig up the addresses. Besides, just now my brain is addled by liquor. Gotta have a Scotch night cap before bed. grin
Posted By: nash22 Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/25/12
I'll give them a try.

Thanks
First question is:

What is the scope ?

Of it is a Stith or Kollmorgen, they were liable to a fungus on the erector lens that actually etched the glass...... cannot be fixed. (produces that "little cloudy" look)

If it is another brand, either of those firms is good. Let us know what the scope is, may have more suggestions.
If it is a Stith or Kollmorgen scope, they were liable to a fungus on the erector lens that actually etched the glass...... cannot be fixed. (produces that "little cloudy" look).

These scopes were made with 7/8" or 26mm tubes.

If a 7/8th, you would be better off getting a high condition Lyman Alaskan that is a better scope, has windage and will always be worth a lot more.

If it is a 26mm, we need more info, as they made 2.5, 4 and 6X models, which determines what it may be replaced with (The O.D. of the scope's objective housing being the key).

High condition 26mm scopes are available Stith/Kollmorgen/Redfield.
Not cheap but top quality scopes.

More info, please. Pictures would help. Thanks.

Posted By: nash22 Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/25/12
Kollmorgen Optical Corp. on the eyepiece, Stith Bear Cub II on the elevation turret. Also it is a 7/8 scope.
Probably (not 100% sure as nothing is w/old scopes) you have the dreaded fungus. Were it my rig I'd get a Lyman Alaskan All Weather model off Ebay. Far better scope, w/click windage & elevation as well.

Send the Stith in to either of those companies for an estimate (it takes a while). If it can be fixed and is in excellent condition, it will bring $200-250, more if it has a post or dot reticle.

Good shooting !
Posted By: nash22 Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/28/12
Was not sure if the scope was worth it, but I will send it in for an estimate. Can't hurt to much for an estimate.

Thanks, nash
Good luck with it !
Posted By: ralfus Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/29/12
L and K scope repair

Good guy to work with. Upgrades scopes with coated lenses and nitrogen purge when possible. Fair rates. Call him and he'll let you know what he can do.
I've never seen a 7/8" Kollmorgen, Stith Bear Cub, or Stith Kollmogen.

All of the Stith Bear Cub and Stith Kollmorgen scopes that I've owned have had 26mm tube, which being a slightly LARGER diameter than 1" tubes, makes it hard to find the correct rings. I think that the only 1 that I have left is a 6x mounted via a Stith Master Mount on a Winchester 70.

Weaver also made some 1" steel tube scopes for Stith. I have a 4x that looks like a K2.5 or K3 with a straight 1" objective. It is the only 1 that I recall seeing and came to me from gun sight author Nick Stroebel.

Jeff
Posted By: nash22 Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 02/29/12
This scope diameter measures 7/8". I do have a Kollmorgen 6x that is a 26mm tube. Very nice scopes.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've never seen a 7/8" Kollmorgen, Stith Bear Cub, or Stith Kollmogen.Jeff

That really surprises me with your background but it is certainly the right dimension. The early ones were 26mm or 7/8" - believe it.

If you ever want to part with that poor old 4X Weaver-Stith, let me know. smile
DO THE MATH!

A 26mm tube is LARGER THAN 1", 1.0236" to be exact.

1" = 25.4mm

7/8" = 22.225mm

mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

Jeff

PS - The only "common" 7/8" hunting scopes that I am aware of are the Leupold Alaskan & Pioneer, Lyman Alaskan, and Norman Ford Texan.
Jeff, I think he was saying they were available in both 7/8" AND 26mm. Such as, "You can order them in 26mm or 7/8"."
OK, show me an ad or something out of Shooter's Bible that shows a Kollmorgen or Stith Bear Cub with a 7/8" tube. I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that I've never seen 1. Seen lots of them, 100%, with 26mm tubes, often with a set of 1" Weaver rings bent around them.

Jeff
Found this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_56/ai_n56225042/

Meanwhile Kollmorgen Optical (which had moved operations to Northampton, Mass.), with periscopes no longer in demand, was looking for new products lines. The result was the Stith/Kollmorgen Bear Cub scope, the first models with a 7/8" tube, later changed to 26mm (an inch is 25.4 mm). When Stith died in the mid '50s, the scopes were marketed for a time as the Kollmorgen Bear Cub line.
Posted By: djs Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 03/02/12
I've got several Kollmorgen and Redfields (same scope) in 4X, 2.75X. Great, rugged scopes and crystal clear glass.
OK, show me an ad or something out of Shooter's Bible that shows a Kollmorgen or Stith Bear Cub with a 7/8" tube. I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that I've never seen 1.

The Stith Bear Cub 2.5X with elevation only adjustments was built from 1950-1952 with a .875" tube. See Stroebel's scope book on page 225. Somebody had a thread going on one not to long ago.
Posted By: Joe Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 03/02/12
OK, show me an ad or something out of Shooter's Bible that shows a Kollmorgen or Stith Bear Cub with a 7/8" tube. I'm not saying that they don't exist, just that I've never seen 1. Seen lots of them, 100%, with 26mm tubes, often with a set of 1" Weaver rings bent around them.

Jeff

Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

and
[Linked Image]

and,
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nash22 Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 03/02/12
Joe, that's the one.
I've never seen 1 before. Proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Jeff
Too bad 7/8" scopes didn't catch on more. I feel that little 1/8" smaller diameter goes a long way toward a more streamlined application vis-a-vis 1" tubes. On a classic rifle that counts for a lot. (Don't even get me started on big ol' 'sniper' style scopes that are popular today! They may have their place on precision plastic long range rifles but not on any pre-1960 classic. Just my opinion, worth the usual bucket of warm spit!)
Posted By: Joe Re: Kollmorgen Stith BearCub II - 03/02/12
I agree, 7/8" are perfect on all lever guns but especially the 1894 Marlin carbines. I have a Leupold Alaskan on my .44 which works to perfection. I went stupid about 8 years ago and sold a Lyman Alaskan. crazy
The kollmorgan bear cub dose exist.. 7/8 inch tube...I have one..It is 2.5X.....with fine cross hairs..elevation adjustment on scope..windage is on the mount.
I too have a 7/8" Kollmorgan, 2.5x with crosshair and dot reticle, I have listed it in the classifieds for sale if anyone is interested.
© 24hourcampfire