Home
I see the upcoming Amoskeag auction has a few Savages for sale. I had not heard of this, "factory error"?

serial #D746289, 375 Win, 22" barrel with an excellent bore. The barrel and receiver retain about 99% original blue with a few light handling marks while the lever retains about 95% vibrant case colors with normal light wear and fading toward the end of the loop. The smooth walnut schnabel tipped forearm and straight grip buttstock rate excellent with a few minor dings. The buttstock has the original serrated steel buttplate and has some light chipping at the heel. The barrel is equipped with the original front sight and the rear sight has been replaced with a Williams WGRS rear peep with large aperture. The barrel also has an odd factory error, the barrel address and model information are double stamped. It is unknown how an error like this would have left the factory, but given that there were only about 1500 rifles made in this configuration for only one year (1981), our guess is that time was of the essence to get the order shipped. A rare offering in excellent overall condition with the added bonus of having a not often seen factory error, and could possibly be one of a kind. (44995-5) (800/1200)

I'm wondering about the steel buttplate...

Mike
In the world of coin collecting, a double strike commands a premium over a regular coin, condition being equal. Do any gun collectors place a premium on errors such as this? Personally, I would rather not have an error of that nature present on a gun and would opt for a 'normal' one over an 'error' one, all else being equal.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Perhaps another factory error confused
I had an eg that the sp proof was double stamped. Also have 38-55 that is clearly stamped on top of 32-40 and it letters as a 38-55...
Well i have had two of those rifles,and i also have two N.O.S. barrels and have never seen it!!! I don't think i would put any premium on a screwup like that !! JMO. Don
Originally Posted by boltman
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Perhaps another factory error confused

No , I had Brushgun on the brain. I went & looked at the auction & see that it is a Saddlegun. Steel buttplate would be right for a Saddlegun.

Mike
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I had an eg that the sp proof was double stamped. Also have 38-55 that is clearly stamped on top of 32-40 and it letters as a 38-55...

Drew, in response to Gary's question, would you prefer your .38-55 was stamped .38-55?
Originally Posted by Loggah
I don't think i would put any premium on a screwup like that !! JMO. Don

Unless you were selling.... wink

Mike
Originally Posted by boltman
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Drew, in response to Gary's question, would you prefer your .38-55 was stamped .38-55?

Just glad it lettered as a 38-55, I was afraid someone had it rebored....
Mike, Nope it wouldn't make any difference!,beside i hardly ever sell anything ! smile now my Brother has a rifle made around 1910 without any cocking indicator what so ever, that one might be worth a bit more because of that. grin Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
Mike, Nope it wouldn't make any difference!,beside i hardly ever sell anything ! smile now my Brother has a rifle made around 1910 without any cocking indicator what so ever, that one might be worth a bit more because of that. grin Don

You're brother didn't fall much further from the tree than you did and is not so quick to sell either. That .50-115 Bullard seems to be stuck there frown
[Linked Image]

Not done by Savage, but the lettering on my 99 .410 barrel is double-struck.

Rod
I've owned a couple of 99As, not 99A-BGs, in 375. Steel buttplate and schnabled forearm, just as cataloged.

Jeff
Slightly off topic, but I encountered a Savage 110E that
wasnt drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
And many (many) decades from now, a collector might consider that rifle quite the prize - especially if someone has the foresight to keep it in safe queen status until then.
Marlin says no so did winchester .I had a marlin like that said it was from the machine not wright but send it back for rebarrel never did this
Originally Posted by Phil99
[Linked Image]

Not done by Savage, but the lettering on my 99 .410 barrel is double-struck.

Rod

I wouldn't kick anything made by Niedner out of bed for eating crackers, double struck or not! grin
Factory errors on coins, stamps, and basebal cards seemed to increase value to collectors. Upside down bi-plane postage stamp and Billy Ripken baseball card come to mind.

Hard for me to imagine an double hit stamp on a gun would bring a premium. "Factory error" and "Gun" certainly don't go well together in my mind. It seems that factory custom work, and factory special items supplant "error" in the gun collector world.
Of course it only takes one buyer to think that the rifle has an inflated value... to make a happy seller.
Jed had a double strike serial number that brought a premium. All though the serial was on two different rifles...does that count? grin
I have recollection of that rifle. Was there even a third rifle that had the same number?
I think there was a report of three and that it might have happened more than once. As far as I know, Jed's pair are the only ones that have turned up with the same serial. It is thought that they might have let them go because they were in different calibers...speculation only.
So if different calibers, I wonder which one, "lettered"?
I'm thinking that I would want a rifle perfect...!!! Not that I wouldn't enjoy an error rifle, but a perfect one would mean that much more to me...!!! Just Sayin' grin grin grin
I viewed this rifle. It has some chipping action occurring at butt plate almost as if the stock was cut...but I think not. In regard to the error. It is NOT 2 separate stamps, but a double strike of the same stamp off set just a C-hair. I may toss a bid at it as this would be a great brush buster.

***BTW....I hope I don't get my A-hole ripped open for giving an account of a "Live" and "current" auction. Cahhh-ryste knows that this is a hidden gem and "not many" people know of the Amoskeag Auctions. whistle whistle confused smirk
If anyone here has a Niedner Rifle for sale or knows where i could find one that would be great information to have.
© 24hourcampfire