Home
Please educate the newby. Obviously everyone has their own opinion on this, but were certain years or configurations better than others? If so why? What would be the best for a shooter and what would be the ultimate 250-300 collector piece? Assuming I don't have a lot of free time to hunt one down where could I find an attractive shooter.
As a Savage semi-newbie, I'd say as a practical shooter, a factory D&T 99F. For a collector, one of the 1899 special orders, or possibly a 1920, if it has the bolt peep sight.
+1 on the 1950s 99F (Featherweight)as the best .250 hunting rifle: light, short 22" barrel, factory drilled and tapped for scope use.

Rod

[Linked Image]
first one off the line grin
A left handed 1920 set-up for scope use.
99T in 250 is probably the most collectible, standard model that came off the line.

The ultimate collectible 250-3000 would be this:

[Linked Image]
I agree Calhoun, I've got a perch belly .250-3000 just like it. Well except for the checkering's a little different and mine's not inlaid but it is engraved. The engraving on mine is kind of a free hand, rubbed against a rock or other hard surface motiff. Mine has better wood though it doesn't have all that dark staining covering the straight grain. They also have the same sights.
Originally Posted by Phil99
+1 on the 1950s 99F (Featherweight)as the best .250 hunting rifle: light, short 22" barrel, factory drilled and tapped for scope use.

Rod

[Linked Image]

....and on GB on a fair day, what would one of these 1950's 99F in .250-3000 scoped in 80-85% (conservative?) condition fetch potentially?
a PREWAR 99R 0r 99RS
and a 99T
Originally Posted by 1899sav
a PREWAR 99R 0r 99RS
and a 99T

+1
Oh, and an 1899 Deluxe

....and on GB on a fair day, what would one of these 1950's 99F in .250-3000 scoped in 80-85% (conservative?) condition fetch potentially?

$800+ without the scope.

Rod
Thanks ROD!
You may also want to add a Model 1920 Bolt Action, with a lyman 54 peep or with-out
If I was looking for a .250 Sav to hunt with, the model 14 AC would definately make the list.
1899 Model .250-3000, or failing that, a G. Failing that, a M1920 w/Lyman 54.

But the ultimate .250-3000 would be a pre-war Mauser Kurz (short) action with a .250-3000 barrel and double-set triggers, in a slim piece of English walnut with a Griffin&Howe QD sidemount and Lyman 48 receiver sight. cool smile
One that SHOOTS !!!

[Linked Image]
Gary, I almost bought Kurz .250-3000 just like that a couple years ago. Tried it out for a couple weeks. Had solid rib, three leaf sight and a flip-up peep. There was a problem with the bolt/trigger not locking up right if I recall, so I passed on it. That was a mistake.

My choice for hunting and collecting would be the original issue .250-3000 Perch Bellies. I should use the .250 more often on big game. Every time I have, I've been happy with the little guns performance. This antelope was shot with 100 grain Speer. Perfect combination of gun, bullet and game in my opinion.
[Linked Image]
An early 1899 250-3000 with the checkered trigger and lots of condition would be a great addition to my meagre clan of Savages.

The 1950s Rs, Fs and EGs don't turn my crank though I agree the M1920 with a Lyman 54 or the new American Classic 250 Sav. make for excellent/accurate hunting rifles. smile

[Linked Image]

I'd still like to get a hold of a Remington 250 Classic though...
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
One that SHOOTS !!!

[Linked Image]
dam thats purty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. I am just plain lucky to have it. smile smile
[Linked Image]

Probably as ultimate as I will ever get.
I wouldnt mind a Winchester Model 70 carbine.
Or a Winchester Model 54 carbine.
Just to throw another one out there, I really like my Ruger 77RSI (Mannlicher) in 250 Savage.
An Orbendorf Kurz in .250-3000 would be super cool, but only
if someone gave it to me as a gift.
Yes, I wouldn't want to have to pay for one!
I would be happy just to hold a Kurz in my grubby little paws
for a moment or two, just to say that I did. Have never even
seen one.
A Remington 700 Mountain Rifle chambered for the .250-3000, one of the earlier ones with walnut, floorplate, and a Leupold 1.5-5X scope.

Dan
That would be a really nice rifle.
It should be obvious, a 1948 EG with a 1 Inch stith and Weaver 3X scope. grin cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just my humble biased opinion.
Originally Posted by Jericho
That would be a really nice rifle.

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVAGES!!!!!!!!!!!
Didnt mean to get off track.
Okay, fine...

An Enoch Tue engraved 1899 in 250-3000 with English Walnut, A checkering and B engraving.

I gots the only one... grin
Originally Posted by oldotter
It should be obvious, a 1948 EG with a 1 Inch stith and Weaver 3X scope. grin cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just my humble biased opinion.

SEE THIS GUY GETS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Okay, fine...

An Enoch Tue engraved 1899 in 250-3000 with English Walnut, A checkering and B engraving.

I gots the only one... grin

Loan it to me for an Anticosti trip!!!!????? grin grin
Sorry, if I'm going to be doe hunting 15 miles from the house that one will be going with me! Already took it on a successful antelope hunt.

It's been reblued, refinished, and rebarreled - so I guess it'd qualify as the ultimate 250-3000 hunter rather than ultimate collector. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
whichever one YOU'VE GOT AT HOME
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's my sweatheart. Not a 99, but still nice

Johno[Linked Image]
Wouldnt mind a "shooter" 99H in .250-3000 with a scope.
Is this the Savage that was made for one of the Dodge boys? Did they make many custom guns?
Sorry guys. I'm referring to the picture on the first page of the thread. I'll eventually figure out how to attach a picture.
Oldotter - Beautiful set up! My dream combination.
Originally Posted by NOTSTR8
Is this the Savage that was made for one of the Dodge boys? Did they make many custom guns?

Yes, this was a Savage 250-3000 purchased by one of the Dodge boys and engraved by Conrad Ulrich. Or so I remember..

[Linked Image]
How about a minty pre-war checkered F?

Prolly a better chance of finding the Holy Grail grin

Still lookin though. wink
Got me a pre-mil 99F in 250-300 too...I love it!
I have 250s in:

1899 Deluxe
99EG
99T
99R
99R, Pre war
Rem 700 Classic
Winchester Model 70 (1947)
99A

Yeah, I like them a lot. Easy to shoot and kills things with white tails.
Pre-Mil 99f honest shooter for me. I'll run across one someday....I hope.
One that shoots minute of whitetail at 200 yards.
any thats in my hands
CLEARLY , the NEXT .250-3000 I purchase that I MUST have!
© 24hourcampfire