Home
Posted By: bigkelly looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
Have the gun(just bought) need the ammo and everywhere I've looked is OOS!! Tried midway,A1ammo and cheaper than dirt
Posted By: TomT Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
I bought most of mine from auctions on Gunbroker and/or Auction arms (see ref. link below). IF you are a reloader, there's lots of info. in previous threads on this forum about re-forming other brass (30-30, 25-35?) to .22HP. You should also be looking under "5.6x52R", as that is the European designation for the cartridge.
I just searched Grafs and they're OOS too. I did a Yahoo search for "Savage 22 Hi Power" that led me to the other link below (ammo to go), but I never used them, and $55 for a box of Norma seems like a scalpers price IMHO. They have Sellier & Bellot for $20 a box, but I've read less than positive things, so I've never "fed" that brand to my 22HPs. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a source with current stock.

On a side note, I'm regretting not buying all a seller at a recent gun show on Long Island NY (2 weeks ago) had for sale, as he had about 5 or 6 boxes of CIL (Canadian) Sav 22hp ammo for $20 each. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Good Luck! -TomT

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280804149

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-22-savage-hipower
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
these guys have the S&B but are out of everything else... the S&B is not the best ammo and most ppl have issues getting it to group worth a darn.

Try to find the Norma ammo.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
thanks guys I tried natchez but OOS 2 and didn't find any at the auction sites
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
I have been known to buy S&B ammo just to pull the bullets for reloading.
Posted By: texken Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
+1, have about 200rds of that stuff, probably throw rocks and get better group.
Posted By: Hubert Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
Hi pm sent
Posted By: saddlering Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/13/12
I have 2 boxs of Norma 22hp ammo, one full and one with 2 shells fired, 18 loaded, Ill sell both, and a bag of 40 norma 22hp new brass for $100.00 shiped! PM if if you want them!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
I think I meant to include this link in my original post....

http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=93
Posted By: Calhoun Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
Was just looking at a couple boxes of 303 Savage from Reeds Ammunition. Looks like they just have the S&B, but for a decent price.
Posted By: Hubert Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
I have some 303 if u r interested let me no.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
Actually I meant that I was just looking at a couple of boxes of 303 Savage from Reeds Ammunition that I have in the safe. Wasn't looking to buy any more.

Seems to shoot fine at the range, in case anybody was wondering.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
Thanks for all the info--Saddlering thanks for the offer but I don't need any brass right now
Posted By: saddlering Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/14/12
Id sell the two boxs of ammo for $65.00 shiped, Money order only tho!
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/15/12
I'd sell anything that says 22hp, before I even looked for shells.
.250 replaced that caliber, better.
Posted By: johnsavage Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/16/12
My 22HP patterns more like a shotgun using S&B, and have had some failures to fire with what look like good primer strikes.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/17/12
I want to thank evryone for all the info It looks like I will get some norma (from saddlering Thank You) in the 70 gr ammo and use that for hunting and also buy some S&B and shot that for practice saving the brass to reload with some 55gr bullets.this gun is a O/U combo and it completes my 6 barrel set (2) 12ga O/U,20ga O/U,222/12,308/12 and 22savgeHP/12
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/17/12
that make of gun is?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/17/12
All along I was assuming it was an 1899. I'm with Drew in having my curiosity piqued now.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/17/12
the set started life as savage 2400 but morphed into a savage 330
reciever fitting the 12/308 barrels (I liked the "flur-de-lilies"stock on the 330 more than the 2400).One of the 12 O/U barrels is from a valmet "lion" series and it seems like its a mile long BUT its in Full/Full and a tremendous deer gun barrel.the other 12 O/U and the 20 O/U are pure savage 330 and the 12/222 is savage 2400.As for the 22 savage HP I hope it will arrive this week but I'm betting it's pure Valmet.I will keep this reciever and have a 2 reciever set--one with a single selctive trigger and one with dbl.triggers that will work all six barrel sets
Posted By: saddlering Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/17/12
Sounds very nice, sometime take a pic of all for us!
Posted By: Gunplummer Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/18/12
I shoot S&B but have a 1-10 twist. Shoots good and have used this ammo on deer. Reloading S&B brass, not so good. It seems hard and I get a lot of neck splits when I re-size. Norma works better for me when reloading.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/18/12
gunplummer thanks for the heads up I was looking buy S&B for re-loading but I'm still learning the reloading biz
Posted By: bubba15301 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/18/12
buy acase forming die and use new 30/30brass
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/18/12
another good tip--I have a local buddy who is the re-loader king but he has a 6 and 8 station reloader,I'm not sure what that means, but he says he needs to see if the brass (22 HP) will fit one of his "plates" (whatever that is )and he has never reloaded 30-30--so--see--I'm still learning
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/21/12
heres some one selling 22HP on gun broker does anyone have any feedback on this ammo's quality?
gun broker item#282289854
Posted By: Hubert Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/22/12
I just cancelled an ammo order from reeds. I tried for 3 weeks to place an order and I don't know what his problem is but he wasen't able to get my Debit or credit cards to work. I finally cancelled and ordered from another seller and the order was confirmed in less than 5 min.. so has anyone else had a problem with him.. this is a first with anyone selling to me. confused
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/22/12
No, just the opposite....I did my order online 100% and had no issues what so ever... Got an instant confirmation and first two boxes showed up less than a week later. I placed two separate orders within 10 or so minutes b/c I found something else that I wanted to try and the free shipping made it no different than had it been one big order. They must not have figured it out as I got the first two boxes but the second order has not shown up.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/22/12
Opps... turns out, I spoke way to soon... I no longer endorse Reed's ammo in the least... I will create a new post.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/25/12
thanks for all the info but now I need to pick everyones brain again
AT some point I swear I saw .227/.228 dia. bullets from some manufacturer in 55 gr.So far hornady says they never made this so what say you all?
Posted By: Hubert Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/26/12
I have some .228 55 gr from bufflo arms.and 42 gr hollow piont mono metal ones from S Africa.
Posted By: texken Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/27/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I do also, have some extra if anyone needs or wants.
Posted By: bigkelly Re: looking for 22 HP ammo - 04/27/12
Thanks to everybody --ya'll really helped me out. I spoke with Sheldon (super nice guy who is also a model 24 shooter) at Buffalo Arms and was able to order the bullets I wanted
© 24hourcampfire