Home
Hello all--been gone for about a year but still have my first 99!
Saw a 99 today, looks to be an EG with the schnabel forend, BUT it had a barrel swivel an inch in front of the forend and the swivel screw screwed right in to the barrel--there was no barrel band to it. Stock had a swivel in the wood. Gun was in 300 Savage with a Lyman 3X Alaskan in a Stith mount.
What model would this have been? Or did some smith long ago tap the barrel to take a swivel? Looks like a really nice job and swivel contour matches the underside of the barrel exactly. Barrel boss code is 24B.

Any thoughts? I might get the gun just for the Stith and scope--but it will need a buttplate and the scope needs one turret cap.
PS--what would the scope and Stith mount be worth nowadays? There seem to be quite a guns with them on GB nowadays, but prices don't look nearly what they were a year or two ago, and I dont see any Stiths and scopes alone.
Thanks all--and Hi to Loggah and LBK if you still hang out here!
the swivel is not factory... probably an EG ... gun is likely not worth much with the mods and missing butt plate.

The lyman is likely a 2.5X and with the stith, is likely worth as much or more than the gun itself.
Scope is definitely a 3X--saw it yesterday in the flesh--nice and clear too with a "T" reticle. There are a few buttplates on the internet for short money so that's not an issue and I shoud be able so scare up a turret cover for the scope. Wood on gun is fine, no dings and no cracks, bore is perfect but reciever has some surface corrosion that I expect will clean up very well but will still be gray.
Thinking of buying it for the scope and mount and flipping the gun--so perhaps the gun is worth $350 to $400?
What do you think the going rate on the scope and mount is? A year or two ago I think they would have been in the $275 range for both? A little paint worn off the mount, scope is very clean and clear.
I sold a stith mount and a Alaskan scope 7/8 set up to a member here, 7-8 weeks ago for $400.00 shiped i belive, same time a year ago id have got 500-550 for it!! guns seem down too. buy the gun scope setup, you may find that you realy like it! I have 3 such setups, now, down from 5.
All Lyman Alaskans were 2�x. Period. Are you sure it's an Alaskan and not another model (such as Lyman All American)? I don't know where you would find a turret cover for one except by happy coincidence on fleabay or GB, as they have been out of production for many years. I would buy the gun setup too (if it could be had for under $500) and try it out. If you don't like it, you can split it up and get your money back out of it and maybe a bit more.
You are correct! (had it confused and got it mixed up with another gun and scope I was looking at)

It IS a Lyman All American 3X. They're asking close to $700 so I have some haggling to do, or keep the mount and scope and get some of it back from the rifle.

Still, I'm guessing the mount and scope are worth about $350 to $400? Sound right to you guys?

yeah, I'd never heard of a Lyman Alaskan that was a 3x but was not 100% sure they never made one.

Be real careful b/c of Lyman All American is worth about 30% of what an Alaskan is worth... also is a 1" scope and not a 7/8" scope.

Also, I don't think that any stiths were painted from the factory... the earlier steel ones would have been blued and the later aluminum ones would have been anodized, I think.
oh, you posted while I was typing... you might still be able to get $350+ for the mount and scope on ebay but its hard to say...condition will have a decent impact and I think that the Weaver K series scopes would probably bring more or the Leupold M8.

At $700, its not a good enough deal to make it worth going through the effort to part it out for me...
Thanks all , gonna pass on the gun. Price is a bit much, especially for the condition of the reciever. Found a buttplate but just too much hassle on the rest of the gun to buy it just for the scope. Got a few other projects going that need "funding" if you know what I mean!
© 24hourcampfire